Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:38 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times

Advertisements

Ok, heres the deal.
In my infinite wisdom I thought to myself Hey I like figs and picked up a package of dried figs..
Well I get them home and never having bought them before I had no idea that chewing on one of these was like..ummm
Eating a workboot or a leather belt.. take your pick.
So, now I have them what exactly am I supposed to do with them..
I looked on the web for dried fig recipes and it wasnt very helpfull.
Am I just supposed to re-hydrate them and eat away?
Or is there some sort of reason people like eating something like a boot or leather belt?
They are tasty though if you have good teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times
You can't be italian and not like figs. Fresh or dried. Yummy!
Some of the things you can make are with goat cheese &/or proscuitto, on crostini, or in phyllo dough.
They should be alittle chewy, but not like shoe leather.
You may have to re-hydrate with a very little amount (1/8 cup red wine) for some of your recipes. But I would take them back and look for the darkest, gewyish ones you can find, near the dried dates. As they dry out the color gets lighter and look yellowish light brown papery looking. They only seem to sell around the holidays in the generic grocery stores, so you may have gotten old ones. Even if the expiration looks ok. Look for fig bar recipes. There are tons-like fig newtons
I make these oatmeal almond fig bars from this site around christmas/new years, before they become hard to find and stale:

Oatmeal-Almond-Fig Bars :: saidaonline news,lebanon news,english ...

Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM
B4U

Oops. I think we should have put this in the recipe cat.

There's lots of savory recipes with figs in them too, but I don't like things like raisins or figs or dates - sweet things in my main course. Don't type in dried fig recipes, just fig recipes.

Another most simple is to serve with nuts and a creamy mild cheese with an after dinner wine.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
The package says Kalamata string type... I dont see any strings and they are like a golden color.
I got them from publix by the dried dates in the produce section, they had a little shelf of both.
After I asked above I did put one in a cup and poured a small amount of boiling water on it.
It softened up nicely but it needed something, like the red wine you suggest.
I'm going to check out the recipe you posted and I'll let you know.. I hate wasting food.

Thanks B4U.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 PM
B4U

Oh, Publix. OK.
That's where my store keeps them. You probably got the ones on a bookcase like shelf around the corner from the organic stuff in the produce section. Kind of hidden, right. Were yours in a saran/cardboard wrapper kind of package? They probably were sitting ther awhile. Not much traffic in that area.
Up front though, by the entrance door, they have seasonal displays right now,with cans of pumpkin & such. Try that section. Or, take them back. Publix takes everything back, no questions asked.
Then see if you can find the figs in a plastic container, like a deli container that holds the salads. They'll be alittle moister, hence, tastier.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Stew them in simmering water for a while, maybe ten or 15 minutes. That will take them somewhat back to fresh consistency, like stewed prunes.

Eating a fresh fig right off the tree, is one of those "Now I can die" experiences.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:11 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i love figs--fresh or dry. and i like that work boot feeling--LOL

Old 11-20-2010, 07:14 AM
B4U

Caligula1, I went searching thru my files and found something I haven't made in a while. (I ordered spelt from King Aurthur)
It has pics too. And tells you how to rehydrate those figs you bought.
A tasty T & T recipe:

I tried to pull up her website:A Smart Mouth, but it's not coming up anymore, so I'll post the whole thing here. (I hope it's ok with the mods, & they move this thread to recipes.) (All comments below are her's)

www.asmartmouth.com/2008/10/04/almond-and-fig-filled-whole-wheat-scones
Almond and fig-filled whole wheat scones

Posted on 10-04-08 · Tags:Almond Figs Jam Scones
These scones were a technical disaster. Since I’ve spent much more of my life cooking, I approach baking with the same style of partially reading the recipe and casually following its methods. This resulted in forgetting to add the sugar and stuffing too many nuts and fruits into the batter. I DID end up adding the sugar the very last minute and they still turned out splendidly. Whenever you screw up, it’s still worth it to put ‘em in the oven and see what happens.
This is a common reason many amateur cooks avoid making: it’s too technical. But the science of baking is an obviously fascinating and rewarding craft. Once I get over my habit I promise to master some of its yummier products. While every recipe cannot be a visual masterpiece, these taste ****ing good.

Using Whole Grains
I started baking recently and immediately switched from refined white to whole grains. If you don’t use whole grains, I strongly suggest a taste test. With muffins, scones, and bread whole grains add more complexity to the flavor and texture, and are much better for you. I have found trial and error the best way to understand the differences in flavor and texture. I am really pleased with the combo of flours in this recipe. This is the same basic recipe I used when making the oat scones last month, but made lighter by using less spelt and adding in buckwheat.If you want to give it a try, whole wheat, spelt, and amaranth are a good start. They can be used in combination with, or in place of all-purpose in most scone, muffin, or cookie recipes.

Almond and fig-filled whole wheat scones
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold, unsalted butter (keep in the fridge until needed)
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup dried figs
1/3 cup almonds, roasted at 325 for 15 minutes, then chopped coarsely
1/2 cup fresh fig jam
Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
Sift the flours into a medium bowl. Add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and stir. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork until it resembles bread crumbs. Add in the oats, dried figs, and almonds, mixing but making sure not to break up more than necessary.
Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add all at once to the dry ingredients, and stir lightly and quickly with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened.
Flour a working surface and knead the dough a couple of times until it’s manageable. Cut the dough into two equal halves with a bench knife. Flatten each into circles of the same diameter. Spread the jam over the one circle up to 1/4 inch before the edge. Set the second circle on top of it. With your fingers, pinch the outer edges together so the jam is no longer exposed. Using the bench knife, cut divide the wheel into 12 triangles. Continue to flour the bench knife to keep from sticking. Once cut, flour the knife again and use it to scoop up the scones. Place on a cookie sheet.
Bake until the scones are puffed and golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. Place on a rack to cool.

Fig Jam
1/3 pound fresh Black Mission figs, washed and haved lengthwise
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup water
Place the water and sugar in a saucepan and set to medium-high. Once the sugar has melted, add the figs, lemon juice, and zest. Let simmer for 30 to 45, until the figs are soft and falling apart. Continue to add water as needed so the figs don’t burn. Cool completely.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
You do realize that you take off the skin, right?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Stew them in simmering water for a while, maybe ten or 15 minutes. That will take them somewhat back to fresh consistency, like stewed prunes.

Eating a fresh fig right off the tree, is one of those "Now I can die" experiences.
LOL! How right you are! We are blessed with a very prolific fig tree in our backyard here in Perth. In a few weeks, I'll be having quite a few of those "Now I can die" experiences when I go outside and pick a few fresh figs off my tree and eat them right there and then. They are such an amazing fruit. They're also nice halved with a piece of blue cheese on them, wrapped in prosciutto and grilled til just browned slightly. Eating them that way is like dying and going to heaven!

I don't like them dried though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink