U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2008, 04:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,356,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
IMHO any frozen clams or mussels would go straight into my garbage pail....they are all dead and unfit to eat.
That was my opinion too before I tried the vacuum-packed frozen mussels - they are pre-cooked in a light stock, and are really very acceptable, still plump and juicy - I need a shellfish hit every now and again and these work for me!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 PM

34,191 posts, read 11,412,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
That was my opinion too before I tried the vacuum-packed frozen mussels - they are pre-cooked in a light stock, and are really very acceptable, still plump and juicy - I need a shellfish hit every now and again and these work for me!!
Ah, I didnt know they were precooked....I misunderstood that they were "live" and you had to tap them to determine if they were alive before de-grit and beard removal processing them....this is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I did try frozen crayfish from Louisianna.....I thought they were terrible.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,356,233 times
Quote:
Ah, I didnt know they were precooked....I misunderstood that they were "live" and you had to tap them to determine if they were alive before de-grit and beard removal processing them....this is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I did try frozen crayfish from Louisianna.....I thought they were terrible.
The mussels are worth a try - like frozen shrimp, they are handy to have in the freezer for an emergency seafood attack! Some brands come in a garlic/w/wine stock but I quite like to get the plain ones and do my own thing with them

But I know what you mean, one can get easily put off seafood by a bad experience...

Old 09-25-2008, 06:37 PM

17,192 posts, read 20,203,102 times
Is it true that tilapia is a kind of bass that is farm raised on sewage? I saw a special in which the fish were raised on the sewage of a waste treatment plant and I haven't been able to touch it since. What exactly is tilapia and how is it raised?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 PM

873 posts, read 1,045,060 times
Quote:
IMHO any frozen clams or mussels would go straight into my garbage pail....they are all dead and unfit to eat.
But that's all we can get here!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 PM

34,191 posts, read 11,412,035 times
I now understand that they are precooked and frozen in broth and are reportedly good. I didnt mean to ruin that for you...I was reacting to another post in which I thought the person was instructing in how to defrost and then check to make sure they were alive and then flush the sand and grit out of them....maybe I misunderstood. If you froze live shellfish and expected to revive them....I wouldn't bother...the precooked product.....I dont know.....maybe it is better than nothing....I use canned clams in my chowdah if no fresh clams or quohogs are available.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I now understand that they are precooked and frozen in broth and are reportedly good. I didnt mean to ruin that for you...I was reacting to another post in which I thought the person was instructing in how to defrost and then check to make sure they were alive and then flush the sand and grit out of them....maybe I misunderstood. If you froze live shellfish and expected to revive them....I wouldn't bother...the precooked product.....I dont know.....maybe it is better than nothing....I use canned clams in my chowdah if no fresh clams or quohogs are available.
Pre-cooked seafood is absolutely the worst, ugh! They overcook it! Since we can't get the fresh here, I buy frozen or whatever is in the case if I can (pre-frozen).

I remember years ago when we lived on the coast that my mother put a crab in boiling water and I shrieked! I couldn't eat crab for years. Maybe it's better that we get it frozen.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM

434 posts, read 802,338 times
Quote:

Local clams are all cleaned of grit before coming to market here in Maine.....I havent found one grain of sand in any of the soft shelled steamers I have had this summer. That isnt the way it used to be and folks did use corn meal to help the clams purge....but I never liked the texture of the clam bellies after that treatment. I am glad that they power clean them now as part of the pre market prep.
What other choice do I have? That's the way they come here.
You are lucky to have Maine Lobsters and the best of Idaho potatoes.

We get the leftover of both

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM

yep, we da spud pickers
One thing we noticed years ago though, was that they sold cheaper in California then Idaho. Luckily, if you know farmers, they will give them away to friend by the box load.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:03 PM

4,466 posts, read 3,793,644 times
Holy Mackeral:

This is expanding faster than I thought. I will address a couple issues first:

Give me the name of the product and the country of origin...then I can give specific fact re the product.

Also...re the Great Clam Issue...IVAR of Seattle always said.."Keep Clam"..

The best processors always purge their shellfish in SEAWATER...They DO NOT DRINK OR TAKE IN FRESH WATER..LET US LAY TO REST THE OLD TALE THAT YOU PUT CORN MEAT, OATMEAT OR WHATEVEN IN THE WATER TO PURGE THEM..IT JUST DOSEN'T WORK..." TRUST ME.

Yes, some clams and mussels are precooked and frozen..that is like buying sausage from your meat department which uses old out of date meat and seasons it make a sausage..I know I worked in many meat departments.....

I will list some web sites soon that give a lot of infor to back up what is say.

One to check first is Pacificseafoods.com although I disagree with some things they are very accurate.

got to run...

Capt. Seafood...alisa Hunter Wold...stay tuned and Be Clam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink