U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 PM

4,466 posts, read 3,542,861 times
Question Seafood Questions..

I just wanted to throw this out that I have over 30 years Seafood, meat exp. and would be happy to field questions re Fresh and Frozen Seafood.

There are 1000's of misguided folks and information re this subject.

For instance: do you know what the best "Shrimp" is? What is a Prawn?

What is a "Wild" product verses a "farm" raised product.

Many items are lableled as Wild...and of course cannot be "farm" raised.

ETC..etc.etc.

Seafood is so important to our diets but the knowledge to be a "guided" buyer and how to order in a restaurant is important to your satisfaction of Seafood...

Stay tuned and I will post more questions and answers re this subject.

I can also verify my experience...

HW...Happy trails,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM

873 posts, read 1,014,112 times
The best shrimp in Idaho is cooked at home where it isn't cooked into a rubber band.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM

435 posts, read 778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
The best shrimp in Idaho is cooked at home where it isn't cooked into a rubber band.
Hi from Boise

... exactly

Any seafood in fact cooks very fast... if you over cook it... then might as well throw it, it doesn't have the same taste.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
Hi from Boise

... exactly

Any seafood in fact cooks very fast... if you over cook it... then might as well throw it, it doesn't have the same taste.
My thoughts exactly. We lived on the west coast for most of my growing up years and it seemed that restaurants knew how to cook it. Dare they not know how?

I am a real seafood eater, king crabs legs probably being my favorite with shrimp running a close second.

Maybe we'll have to exchange a few recipes some day.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. We lived on the west coast for most of my growing up years and it seemed that restaurants knew how to cook it. Dare they not know how?

I am a real seafood eater, king crabs legs probably being my favorite with shrimp running a close second.

Maybe we'll have to exchange a few recipes some day.
I love shrimp... but all my life I grew up with fish and I can live on fish and never get tired of.
It is sad that here in Idaho I had less seafood than ever in my life.

I have few dishes you might like.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
I love shrimp... but all my life I grew up with fish and I can live on fish and never get tired of.
It is sad that here in Idaho I had less seafood than ever in my life.

I have few dishes you might like.
That's why I usually eat at home. When I eat out, it's usually beef. I can get shrimp at a pretty decent price and although frozen, it's good considering that it had to be shipped here. Salmon is another favorite of mine but I don't eat nearly as much simply due to the price. I love most of the hard shell seafoods too.

But I long for fresh fruits and veggies too. There are things I miss about living on the coast like the seafood, the veggies and the ocean.

What the heck are we doing in Idaho anyway?

Okay, no more reminiscing.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
That's why I usually eat at home. When I eat out, it's usually beef. I can get shrimp at a pretty decent price and although frozen, it's good considering that it had to be shipped here. Salmon is another favorite of mine but I don't eat nearly as much simply due to the price. I love most of the hard shell seafoods too.

But I long for fresh fruits and veggies too. There are things I miss about living on the coast like the seafood, the veggies and the ocean.

What the heck are we doing in Idaho anyway?

Okay, no more reminiscing.
I know how you feel, I moved here from NY when I met my husband, ages ago and I stuck here (he is a great man he deserves it) but everything is out of the way. And the distance is so sooooooo big there is nowhere to go .

Salmon is a favorite of husband and he loves it only with a special sauce I make. Otherwise he is big on Tilapia... that we can't find here anymore and when we do the price is hmmm... expensive.

I miss seafood to eat until I get sick

OK we are going Off Topic... sorry

Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 PM

"we are going off topic"

Yeah, but it was nice for awhile at least

Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 AM

3,368 posts, read 7,147,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post

Stay tuned and I will post more questions and answers re this subject.
I love mussels - so do my kids - and I sometimes buy the frozen packs when they are not easily available fresh - the kind frozen in the shell, in a vucuum pack.

They are usually pretty good, but I wonder how safe they are...I prefer getting them live as you can be sure which ones to discard. Frozen worries me - tho we have had them many times w/out a problem...

thanks!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,578,686 times
Here's a seafood question. I don't eat clams, oysters, or mussels because I have ALWAYS gotten sand/grit (whether cooked at someone's home or at a resaurant). I hate the feeling of biting into the grit.

The only exception was when I was in New Caledonia. There was a restaurant on the beach there, they had mussels in what seemed like a cream and herb sauce. It was delicious and out of a whole plate, not one bit of grit.

Is it possible to learn to like these or find a way to get them gritless here in America, or is grit a part of the shell game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink