Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:41 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,959 times

Advertisements

I don't buy it because nobody ever comes by. As far as eating it goes, I'm not a fan of mellocreme candy (candy corn, pumpkins, Santa, reindeer, trees, valentine arrows and heart, etc.)...that stuff just always creeped me out. However, I do have an affinity for the peanut butter kisses, Chic-o-stix, Mary Janes, and miniature candy bars. But since it is dangerous for me to have it around, I avoid temptation and steer clear of buying it...usually. Last year however I hot several huge bags of those grape skull lollipops at Dollar General a few weeks after Hallowe'en.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 04:18 AM

28 posts, read 109,689 times
I know this sounds awfully sad, but i don't buy halloween candy.. We take our children trick or treating and if by chance a child does come by after we get home.. i just give them a piece from one of our buckets I am a BAAaaad girl i know

Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times
I buy a bag or 2 about a week beforehand.

I'll admit, I have used some old candy that's been in the house awhile, too, but the teenagers that come by and steal it later that night don't seem to notice. Plus some of the candy my kids don't like gets tossed back into the candy bucket too for other kids.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:17 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
I love giving out Halloween candy. We get a lot of kids and we prefet giving a handful of minatures so they get variety. Its a lot of fun and we go through a lot of candy!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
We live to far out in the boonies so we don't get any trick or treaters! No street lights, dirt road and several acres between all 7 houses on our street! Ha! I do make up a little bag for the baby next door (7 acres away). I'm not a big fan of candy--once in awhile I like a candy bar and only eat pieces--it'll last a week or so. Now hubby likes to have a little of the sweets around so we do buy trick or treat candies that he likes and he munches on it.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:38 AM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,485 times
I haven't bought Halloween candy for years. I started buying pencils and other small things from places like Oriental Trading. The kids really seemed to like them. I say, seemed, because the last few years (when I haven't been working) we haven't had any trick or treaters. There are a lot of organized carnivals and parties for the kids and adults, and the majority seem to attend those as opposed to the door to door thing.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
With three boys in the house we don't buy our candy until a few days before Halloween. Any sweets that make it into our house any earlier are sniffed out and gone before I have a chance to pass it out. We do buy what we like to eat though so we aren't stuck with bags of stuff after Halloween that no one will eat.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
We get a TON of trick-or-treaters. We go out and t-o-t then the kids want to hurry back home and hand out candy. My youngest will go thru her haul and put into our give out buckets what she doesn't want. I get a nice assortment of chocolates, hard candy (dum-dum suckers) and things like tootsie rolls or the sour stuff some kids like. I probably go thru 8 HUGE bags of candy every year just for the trick-or-treaters. Our church Fall Festival is usually a few days before Halloween so the kids can do both.

I resisted the urge to buy some Halloween candy at the store earlier today. I've been a good girl and going to the gym several times a week for the last month. Not willing to blow it on candy. I want CAKE!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:53 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,465 times
No trick-or-treaters where I live.
So I take full advantage of the day-after-Halloween sales and load up on my favorite: Bite-size Snickers!!!
It's gotta be the bite-size. The other sizes don't have the same chocolate-to-nut ratio

Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I usually watch for the specials closer to Halloween. Like some others, if it's at my house, I'll eat it. I buy mostly what we like, but I try to be considerate that all children can't eat chocolate or even sweets, so I have some non-edible treats for them. Our neighborhood has 1500 homes over several miles, so we have bus loads coming in. We have an average of 200 spooksters, but the past few years I swear it's closer to 300. I try to give each one at least three mini treats and I let the little ones pick out what they want. It's one of my favorite holidays. It's fun to give!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink