U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 PM

434 posts, read 802,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Another vote for MasterCook. This is an awesome software. And it is only $20. Make sure if you get it to get a version 8 or 9. Reason: with version 8 came arrival of the Web Import function. Basically, there is a way you can copy recipes AND pictures directly off the internet and dump them into MasterCook.

I have thousands of recipes in MasterCook. The previous poster was correct each "Cookbook" is limited to 12,000 recipes. But the number of cookbooks you can have is limited only by the size of your hard drive.

If your recipes are in Word documents, there are a couple easy ways to get them into MasterCook without having to retype.

1) Open your Word Document. Save as html (web page). Open Internet Explorer. Open the file you just saved. Click on the Mastercook Web Import Icon (MasterCook has the ability to "take" recipes off web pages, including photos). Since you saved your file as a web page, MasterCook "thinks" it is on a web page. Click a few buttons to put the proper stuff in the proper place in each recipe (ie title, ingredients, etc). Click again---->they dump in one fell swoop into a database cookbook you can then search.

2) Another option. You can run them through an Import, but they must be formatted "just so" (ie space here, characters here etc) for it to work.

3) Third option Import Assistant. You copy the recipe onto a little notepad thing within Mastercook and "put the pieces where they go" by clicking.

I tried a few other recipe softwares. Like CookN and Living Cookbook and a few lesser knowns. MasterCook wins hands down.
Thank you for the points given, it really helps me.
I saw the tutorial from Cook'n and seems easier than MasterCook.
If I save a doc. with pictures as web page, will the picture be saved as well?

I'll give it a try now to see.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 PM

16,499 posts, read 22,978,962 times
I second the wish for a "Pandora" (my most recent addiction) that is recipe-related.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 PM

MasterCook doesn't recognizes the web format.

I converted a doc. to web and the program say,
No MasterCook items were found. Select Import Assistant to import.
Funny thing is the Import Assistant gives me this message.

I see the web file but when I press done, nothing is transfered into the recipe file.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:42 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,252,900 times
Are you running XP or Vista? Are you using IE? Did you buy the MasterCook software or download it off the web? (The web version is a waste of time-from what I understand it has a few gimps in it. )

MasterCook does fully recognize a Word document saved as html. If you use the Web Import, it should be able to get the pictures as well.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 PM

XP/IE

I bought the soft today at Best Buy MasterCook 9.0
It doesn't have the Web import.

It has:
Import
Import Assistant
Export and mail

The Import Assistant has only:
Auto-fill
Save recipe
New recipe
Done

Previous selection
Next Selection

And a drop menu for:
Select a recipe field

Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 PM

9.0 definitely comes with Web Import.

Open Internet Explorer as if you are going on the internet. Is there an icon on the top that says MasterCook?

If not, click on Tools-->Toolbars--->Customize. Do you see the MasterCook icon in the list?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:33 PM

If I did this correctly, first attachment is a screenshot of the MC icon and once you click on it, and the second is of a document saved as html and opened in IE with MasterCook.
Attached Thumbnails
CookBook Software....-mc-toolbar.jpg   CookBook Software....-html-document-open-ie.jpg  

Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
9.0 definitely comes with Web Import.

Open Internet Explorer as if you are going on the internet. Is there an icon on the top that says MasterCook?

No icon (I will make a restart maybe it needs after I installed the MC)

If not, click on Tools-->Toolbars--->Customize. Do you see the MasterCook icon in the list?

I have no Toolbars option on Tools.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:46 PM

Definitely try a restart.

Depending how you have IE configured, do you have the words across the top that like say File, Edit, View? if you have that, try looking under View-->Explorer Bar. Or do you have the Tool icon (it looks like a gear)--->that is where Toolbars-->Customize is. I have no idea which version IE I have-I suspect 7.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Definitely try a restart.

Depending how you have IE configured, do you have the words across the top that like say File, Edit, View? if you have that, try looking under View-->Explorer Bar. Or do you have the Tool icon (it looks like a gear)--->that is where Toolbars-->Customize is. I have no idea which version IE I have-I suspect 7.

Aha, it was under View .... fksdksdksjscobds

I found it... thanks so much for your effort to help me.

I wasn't getting the idea ... is not like is the first soft I am working with, and is kind of frustating because I thought we speak different languages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink