Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times

Advertisements

I make bread and pizza with yeast dough - but almost never make anything sweet with yeast, although I love them.

I especially adore fresh hot Chelsea Buns, and all those other sweet yeast-risen goodies (although Sticky Buns are a little tooo sweet for me!).

Anyone got any sweet yeasty faves to share?

Last edited by southdown; 09-30-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
I like combinations of the following:

-Nuts
-Brown sugar
-Cinnamon
-Lemon
-Orange
-Apricot
-Cranberry
-Raspberry
-Cherry

Orange scones are my current favorite.
Orange Scones Recipes like Orange-Poppy Seed Scones or Orange Almond Buttermilk Scones Recipes

Old 09-30-2008, 11:00 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I use yeast dough to make several kinds of sweet breads. What sort of fillings do you prefer? I have recipes for fillings with fruits, ground nuts or poppy seeds, cream/cottage cheese, etc.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I use yeast dough to make several kinds of sweet breads. What sort of fillings do you prefer? I have recipes for fillings with fruits, ground nuts or poppy seeds, cream/cottage cheese, etc.
Anything that's not toooo sweet. I am not so keen on the Sticky Bun type, with a glaze or syrup. And not that fond of pure cinnamon either...

Cream/cottage cheese sounds good!

Anything as long as it is 'tried and tested' - I have recipes galore but not tried them out and don't enjoy experimenting all that much......

Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Anything that's not toooo sweet. I am not so keen on the Sticky Bun type, with a glaze or syrup. And not that fond of pure cinnamon either...

Cream/cottage cheese sounds good!

Anything as long as it is 'tried and tested' - I have recipes galore but not tried them out and don't enjoy experimenting all that much......
I have the metric recipe, so I will try to improvise the English measurements (this is for sweet cottage cheese buns - you can add raising sto your liking on omit if you don't care for them).

50 dkg (a little over one pound) white flour
2 egg yolks
50 ml (about 1/4 C) vegetable oil
300 ml (about 1 1/4 C) milk
1 package dry yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

Put all that in your bread machine, and set it to make dough (not bake). When it is done kneading, remove the dough and flatten it to about 1/2" with a rolling pin - cut up into pieces that are about 4 x 4". Put a dollop of cottage cheese filling* on each piece right in the middle, and draw up the four corners and seal. Place on greased baking sheet, put into cold oven, turn the heat on to about 375, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. You can sprinkle the top with powdered sugar if you wish.

* I never measure the filling, I just "eyeball" it - usually a 16 oz package of cottage cheese, add one beaten egg, about 1/2 cup of sugar (more or less to your liking) and about a teaspoon of grated lemon zest. Add raisins if you like them - and I prepare all this before the dough and let it sit in the fridge - the raisins soak up the excess moisture and prevent spill-out while baking.

Here are some pics too.
Attached Thumbnails
Sweet things made with yeast?-cottage-cheese-buns1.jpg   Sweet things made with yeast?-cottage-cheese-buns-2.jpg  

Old 09-30-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks so much - they look fantastic, and not overly sweet, perfecto!

Don't worry about the metric, I was brought up on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink