Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:08 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I used to like Maple Syrup Candies, but I haven't seen them for years. Probably not in these parts, but somewhere over the rainbow. Yummy.
Oh I'm drooling. I love those and haven't seen them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
For those who have asked me for Max's email or contact info, go here: Lown family maple syrup - Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Lown
Ive been told by many customers that our syrup is the best they've ever had. I have learned that my evaporator makes the syrup thicker than its suppose to be. I could thin it out, but I like selling a superior product. I love tapping the trees, I love collecting sap, I love talking to people about it, I love boiling and canning syrup, and I love eating it. I'm so nuts about making syrup that in the fall when we start getting some freezing nights, I start getting excited for the up coming spring and another syrup season. My family doesn't have quite the excitement I do, but they enjoy the family time and they all love the syrup. I hope you enjoy our syrup as much as we enjoy making it!
All I can say, it would be a bad day if Max quit selling and producing his syrup.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:46 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I forgot all about maple syrup once I was introduced to huckleberry syrup. (back when I lived in Spokane, WA)

Old 11-05-2011, 01:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I forgot all about maple syrup once I was introduced to huckleberry syrup. (back when I lived in Spokane, WA)
What does huckleberry taste like ? I know, like huckleberry. Hard to explain.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
That's about it. Blueberry/raspberry notes are definitely present.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,461 times
Count me in as another maple syrup fan, partly because pancakes and waffles* are one of my favorite morning foods & also like to mix it into my oatmeal. Unfortunately I can't afford the "real" stuff very often and am forced to buy the imitation version. That was easy until I decided to stay away from products containing HFCS....then the hunt started. I very quickly found out only the Log Cabin brand was formulated that way (around here at least). But it's still includes other artificial ingredients and while I continue to buy it, I kept looking for an additional HFCS-free alternative.

So I tried Log Cabin's "All Natural Syrup" in the little tan jug. It's mostly made of rice-based syrup, though IIRC it does contain some actual maple syrup, and while it tasted fine, it cost nearly as much as genuine maple syrup at @$4.60 per small jug. Cross that one off my list.

I finally did find something & while it's not my favorite flavor, it's still pretty good, it is relatively inexpensive around $2.70 for the 24oz bottle, and contains nothing artificial: "Old Fashioned Syrup" sold under the Safeway brand of all things. I buy mine at a local Randall's store, not a place I shop at much because of their higher prices (they are positioned as a sort of hi-end grocery store here). Here's the entire list of ingredients: corn syrup, water, fructose, molasses and brown sugar. It's flavor leans towards molasses, which I like (not by itself though - too strong for me) but the brown sugar taste which I DO like is also evident & balances out the molasses taste. All in all, some good stuff I now buy regularly.

Now back to the real stuff.........

* this may sound disgusting to some people, but one of my favorite waffle "recipes" is spreading about a tablespoon of peanut butter on each waffle & then dumping syrup on top. Awesome!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Now back to the real stuff.........

* this may sound disgusting to some people, but one of my favorite waffle "recipes" is spreading about a tablespoon of peanut butter on each waffle & then dumping syrup on top. Awesome!
yeah, that doesn't sound too bad as long as you don't throw some sardines on it. peanut butter and sardines would probably turn me off..............

Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,461 times
Just a (small) FYI for bargain shoppers: Randalls dropped the price on the "Old Fashioned Syrup" I wrote about above from $2.40 to $1.99. I realize this product is not exactly what this thread is concerned with, but is more for anyone else trying to find a "general use" flavored syrup that doesn't use HFCS as it main ingredient (I still have yet to find one - my theory is that there simply is not enough manufacturing capacity at the sugar plants to supply all the brands that would like to switch over from HFCS).

Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
I got some Safeway brand Maple Syrup the other day and it is very good. Price was about $5.99 for the 12 oz bottle.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Default Maple syrup lovers - buy it now

I look for prices of genuine maple syrup to really spike this year.

Vt. maple syrup production down with warm weather - Boston.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink