Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,293,199 times

Advertisements

OK maybe it's a bit strange but I'm wondering what strange meats people have eaten? When I go to Chinatown its pretty gross to see them selling live worms. What about mouse meat (not wild)? It seems everyone feeds their reptiles pinkies, but I wonder if they've ever been on a person's dinner plate?
I was reading that in parts of Asia it is a custom to have pinky mice as an appitizer. Not as gross as the worms, but I dont think I would want to eat anything alive. I aint Bear Grills!
Eating cooked pinky mice seems to be a safer bet. There's also ppl that eat crickets, ants, and other insects. Grosser than pinky mice.
I know the thought of eating mouse disgusts ppl, but have you seen cows and pigs at the slaughterhouse, they dont exactly look appealing either.
Sorry if I grossed anyone out, but you can be quite suprised at how mainstream exotic meats like insect and mouse are abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,930,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
OK maybe it's a bit strange but I'm wondering what strange meats people have eaten?
I lived in Asia for quite a while (Japan and Philippines). Nothing strange in Japan, I didn't ever try the puffer fish.

But in the Philippines, I had a couple weird dishes I would never have again.

Sizzling Sisig (see-sig). It's basically pork brains sauteed with onions. I actually enjoyed it several times until someone told me what it really was.

Dinuguan. That's pork entrails, ears, snout (often mixed with regular ground pork or beef) and cooked in pigs blood. Then, served with rice. Tried it once... will never try it again.

Aso adobo. Most people know adobo from the seasoning, but true Filipino cooking has adobo generally meaning cooked with vinegar and soy sauce. Throw in garlic and a bay leaf and sounds okay. Oh... "aso" means "dog." So, yeah. Only had that ONE time also.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 AM

625 posts, read 1,580,507 times
I ate a chipmunk.....looked about like a big mouse; tasted like squirrel

Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 AM

849 posts, read 1,945,037 times
I grew up in Japan and in most parts they don't eat anything really weird. I have;however, seen some strange things eaten there. They eat grass hoppers(gross!), cooked in soy sauce. They sell those as delicacy in fancy department stores. (in Japan, they have huge food sections in one or two floors.) They also eat some small fish alive. And sea cucumbers, my mom likes them but I always thought they were nasty. Puffer fish to me is not strange, because in the area I grew up in, they were very common. They taste like any delicate white fish like sole. We used to eat in paper thin sashimi with spicy ponzu sauce.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 AM

163 posts, read 372,842 times
Eating rodents is nothing new. During the reign of the Roman Empire it was a delicacy to roast them (2 per person) at a gathering.Also they would fatten up snails with raw meat, and then saute them in olive oil and garlic. You don't know what you're missing.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:10 AM

5,022 posts, read 7,431,150 times
In parts of south america Guinnie Pigs are considered a delicacy. They actually serve them with the heads on so you know they are not rats. In asia they eat just about everything that moves, and no part of any animal is thrown away. Chiken foot, and pigs testicel soup are among the many things i have tried. Grass hoppers and other inscects dipped in soy sause are very common all over asia.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,141,956 times
Mountain oysters.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,994,337 times
Rabbit and rattle snake are fine with me, tastes just like chicken !!!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM

849 posts, read 1,945,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Rabbit and rattle snake are fine with me, tastes just like chicken !!!
So does chicken.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:17 PM

625 posts, read 1,580,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Mountain oysters.
Only nuts from trees and plants please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink