Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM

197 posts, read 798,330 times

Advertisements

I figured I'd start this thread to discuss the bombardment of negative information in this information age regarding the foods we consume. All I hear anymore is that this food is bad for us & that food is bad for us, it's constant and if we believed everything we read and hear, we would all be skin and bones and afraid to eat anything. I read about milk being bad for us, so I stopped drinking milk and switched to soy milk. Then the next day i read an article about soy milk being bad for us (they say it increases the hormone estrogen in males).

You could go nuts believing all this propaganda were bombarded with on a daily basis. Now tilapia is bad, first it was coffee being bad, then the next day it was good for you, now it's wheat and dairy and glutein allergies, or how about free-range chicken vs. conventional chicken, or organic ($$$$$) vs. non-organic. Can we catch a break?

I really need to start turning a blind eye to this stuff and listen to my old italian grandmothers teaching of "everything in moderation being the key, as long as you don't indulge in it everyday and eat only that you'll be fine."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 02:24 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Sam, drinking water is bad for you too, you could get sick or even drown. Do you believe every f'n thing the media tells you? You have the net, use it and use your brain to tell you what to eat. Moderation IS the key. Just listen to your body and look at it. Do you have a spare tire? I had one until I could see that I didn't need as much food as 15yrs ago.

Use your head, not the medias head, to tell you what to eat. Heck, I ate more tomatos, during that time when they said they had some dang disease, than I've ever eaten.....they were cheaper. I'm not promoting eating bad food, just use your head.

Your not gonna live forever following me as I don't want to, nor does many here on cd want me to.(can't blame them) Look at what your parents, g-parents, g-g-parents ate and how long they lived......back when they used their own brain and not the medias.

Sorry, just makes me mad when the media prints it first, then does the research. Bad news sells, it's sad.(pun intended)

If you do listen to the media and believe it, go to the veggie forum to find what to eat. You'll live forever. AND to stand up for the veggies, they are not wrong, as far as food consumption goes. Moderation of meat is key, but that doesnt' "fly" there. Good people(as a whole) on there.

Good luck
Just my opinion, worth what it cost ya.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:24 PM

513 posts, read 896,642 times
I agree balance is key.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Sam, drinking water is bad for you too, you could get sick or even drown. Do you believe every f'n thing the media tells you? You have the net, use it and use your brain to tell you what to eat. Moderation IS the key. Just listen to your body and look at it. Do you have a spare tire? I had one until I could see that I didn't need as much food as 15yrs ago.

Use your head, not the medias head, to tell you what to eat. Heck, I ate more tomatos, during that time when they said they had some dang disease, than I've ever eaten.....they were cheaper. I'm not promoting eating bad food, just use your head.

Your not gonna live forever following me as I don't want to, nor does many here on cd want me to.(can't blame them) Look at what your parents, g-parents, g-g-parents ate and how long they lived......back when they used their own brain and not the medias.

Sorry, just makes me mad when the media prints it first, then does the research. Bad news sells, it's sad.(pun intended)

If you do listen to the media and believe it, go to the veggie forum to find what to eat. You'll live forever. AND to stand up for the veggies, they are not wrong, as far as food consumption goes. Moderation of meat is key, but that doesnt' "fly" there. Good people(as a whole) on there.

Good luck
Just my opinion, worth what it cost ya.
I agree with all of it CC(except that last line; it's worth twice that much LOL) But why are you trying to butter up the veggiconsyou know if they became meateaters tonight you'd be breakfast tomorrow. (And then I'd be lunch, supper and a late nite snack)

Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
The don't eat this and don't eat that game has been going on for decades. Common sense goes a long way. People get grants and need to justify how and why they got the grant at our expense. Stinks. A study was done many years ago that found fault with every food know to man but one and then that one was put down because someone was found with allergies to it. Go figure. To many people preach what to eat that don't know beans about math. We have a population base that needs to be figure into the food production equation. If we each had to eat by the ideals of some we would have to have a lottery to see who would have to be allocated the lot of starvation or a lot of folks with clean hands jobs would have to learn how to get them dirty. My 2¢ worth.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The don't eat this and don't eat that game has been going on for decades. Common sense goes a long way. People get grants and need to justify how and why they got the grant at our expense. Stinks. A study was done many years ago that found fault with every food know to man but one and then that one was put down because someone was found with allergies to it. Go figure. To many people preach what to eat that don't know beans about math. We have a population base that needs to be figure into the food production equation. If we each had to eat by the ideals of some we would have to have a lottery to see who would have to be allocated the lot of starvation or a lot of folks with clean hands jobs would have to learn how to get them dirty. My 2¢ worth.
Half a dollar at least

Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
When my dad was alive, he'd scour the papers for the latest thing that research either said would kill you if you ate it or would make you live forever if you ate it, and he'd tailor his entire diet around it. For a while, he wouldn't drink caffeinated coffee; then he found that decaf was bad so he'd only drink tea; then he found that caffeinated coffee was supposed to be good again so he'd drink half a gallon a day; and we won't even go into all the foods that he'd eat to excess one month, only to swear off the next because "the latest research" suddenly concluded it was bad for you.

And you know what? He died anyway. I loved him, and I miss him, and I don't wish him (or anyone else) ill, but all that time and energy and emotional investment he poured into eating or not eating what the latest research told him to did not extend or improve his life one d**n bit.

I love to eat. And I'm enjoying my life a whale of a lot more because I savor every bite and sip I take than I would if I fretted myself into a nervous decline over which one of seventeen different mutually contradictory articles about what will or won't kill you is really correct. I'm not going to eat 10 lbs of broccoli a day because it might prevent Parkinson's Disease, nor am I going to swear off ever eating broccoli again because it might cause diverticulosis. I'm going to eat the amount of broccoli I want to eat simply because I like it, and for no other reason.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I'm going to eat the amount of broccoli I want to eat simply because I like it, and for no other reason.
Right on MidwesternBookWorm! We all are going to die from something whether it be a disease, car accident, murdered, suicide or old age I don't let anything stand in my way to enjoy something now while I am living!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM

197 posts, read 798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Right on MidwesternBookWorm! We all are going to die from something whether it be a disease, car accident, murdered, suicide or old age I don't let anything stand in my way to enjoy something now while I am living!
I agree wholeheartedly with everyone. Moderation is the key!!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
As Paracelsus said (to paraphrase), "The dose makes the poison."

I'm tired of the stupid media trying to jack up their ratings all the time by trying to scare people. If they really cared about us, they wouldn't say, "What you're eating that may actually be killing you! Details at 11 o'clock!" If they cared (or if it had an ounce of truth in it), they'd tell us right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink