U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 PM

20 posts, read 86,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
Ok......here is the story I am originally from WI, and they have bakeries in their grocery stores that are made daily right there and have the options of creme filled, peanut squares, persians....long johns, the whole works, plus we have independant bakeries that sell homemade goodies. I live in the south, and we have crispy creme and dunkin donuts..........whoopie!!! I have tried to get the stores up there to send me some of their homemade luscious goodies to no avail..........What do I do? I can't just drive home 18hours when I need a good old fashioned donut, I especially crave the peanut persians, and the creme filled long johns, down here people have no clue what either of those are.......LOL.

Anyone else have that dilemna? How do I go about getting these treats where I live?
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Doughnuts................... I remember as a little girl going to the donut shop after church on Sunday for a donut and a cup of coffee -- well, I'd have hot chocolate -- and I always tried to pick out the BIGGEST donut I could find because who knew when we'd be back again? Oh, apple crullers... long johns.... glazed twists... mmmmm....

Lucky me, I live in Milwaukee. Where the grocery stores have bakeries that make fresh donuts every single morning! And we have plenty of other mom and pop donut shops around town too. And bakeries! Simma's... oh, joy unending.

So. You want me to send some to you or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 05:17 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,184,298 times
Oh no, deo, your church didn't supply you with the donuts? That was my only reason for going as a child (except I was forced to go by good intentioned parents).

Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,322,887 times
Unhappy Krispy Kreme's no longer in Philly

I miss their donuts. But we do have mom & pop donut shops here. My favorites are Eiselen's in Roxborough (love the white creme-filled!) & Suzie Jo's in Conshohocken (they make cream cheese-filled donuts, YUM!!!). I'm drooling just thinking about them!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 AM

3,336 posts, read 12,647,957 times
I've tatsted Krispy Kreme donuts and think there a bunch of hype unless your looking for a huge sugar rush. I've tasted much better in local pastries. By the way did anyone get caught up in the Krispy Kreme investment craze. The stock shot to $50 a share pretty quickly and plumeted to a low of $4. It now trades at about $10.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 AM

1,393 posts, read 7,062,765 times
The very best simple dohuts I've ever had come out of my kitchen. THis sounds insanely simple but I saw this on tv when I was a kid and when my kids were growing up we did it at birthday parties,sleep overs etc.

Get the Pillsbury poppin fresh dough stuff...the plain old biskets.
Wack open the tube lay the disks out on a cutting and find something to act as a cookie cutter and cut out the donut holes. Fry the donuts and holes in corn oil etc. set on paper toweling then then toss in a paper bag with a sugar cinnamon mixture while still hot. Then yell out "Come and gettem !!

Of course you can glaze or what ever as you want. try it...it's too simple to believe but it's very very good.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 AM

257 posts, read 995,793 times
Oh Deo........would you? OMG that would be so cool, I have tried to write 2 Pick N Saves in the Northern Milwaukee area and none of them will ship them, my sisters are in WI, but they think it is stupid!!! LOL. Someday they will be away from home and missing it also........? I do miss going to the grocery store and having fresh bakery and donuts to choose from. I have been looking and looking online for bakeries in WI to deliver with no luck. When I have been home, I have asked around at several stores and bakeries in town if they would deliver, and this was a NO. LOL. <<sigh>> How can they not have Peanut Persians down here...?
We have Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts..........those are not donuts!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,393,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I've tatsted Krispy Kreme donuts and think there a bunch of hype unless your looking for a huge sugar rush. I've tasted much better in local pastries. By the way did anyone get caught up in the Krispy Kreme investment craze. The stock shot to $50 a share pretty quickly and plumeted to a low of $4. It now trades at about $10.
Isn't that one of the main reasons for eating donuts???!!!

Of course being vegan, I haven't had a "real" donut in 4 years!
And it's REAL lucky I'm vegan cause we have a Krispy Kreme right on the corner - I pass it everyday & the "hot donuts now" sigh is ALWAYS lit!!! AND they have a drive through!!
I have had several cravings for donuts and the vegan online stores have them. No one that isn't vegan would accept these as donuts, but to a vegan it's a wonderful thing!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:03 PM

21,640 posts, read 30,253,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Isn't that one of the main reasons for eating donuts???!!!

Of course being vegan, I haven't had a "real" donut in 4 years!
And it's REAL lucky I'm vegan cause we have a Krispy Kreme right on the corner - I pass it everyday & the "hot donuts now" sigh is ALWAYS lit!!! AND they have a drive through!!
I have had several cravings for donuts and the vegan online stores have them. No one that isn't vegan would accept these as donuts, but to a vegan it's a wonderful thing!
You have a LOT more will power than I do!!!!!!!!! Back in Jan when we were driving through Pigeon Forge on our way to eat pancakes at Bob Evans, we passed the KK store saw the hot sign on, I had to stop and eat one then went in to get my pancakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink