Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

crab boil is good

I usually do a quick steam/sautee with water, vinegar and old bay ...... then finish on the grill with more old bay

i've only smoked them once, but it was amazing .... marinade in garlic, EVOO & lemon - then smoke them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I grew up in South Carolina, here is how I like my shrimp -

first I take the heads off the shrimp, and boil them to make shrimp stock.

second I cook some grits in a pot, using shrimp stock, salt, and just a tiny dash of heavy cream if its handy.

third I throw some sausage, garlic, and mushrooms onto the skillet.. and take those out, put on a plate. then I cook the shrimp on the skillet... 1 minute each side... take them off, put them on a plate.

then I mix that skillet grease with some butter and olive oil, and make a roux. When the roux is almost done, I add bell peppers and onions to it. when the roux is finished, I pour in the shrimp stock, sausage, shrimp, garlic, and the mushrooms.

you serve the grits in bowls, and spoon the roux on top with a ladel

Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
if you have a lot of people, and a lot of shrimp, you make some frogmore stew. We do this several times a year, especially at the beach in the summertime.

you need an outdoor propane cooker, a steamer pot, a basket.

You fill the steamer pot halfway with water, and pour in old bay seasoning and salt.

When it reaches a boil, you throw in the red potatoes, wait 20 minutes.

Then you add kielbasa and boil for 10 minutes.

Then you add your sweet corn, and boil for 5 minutes.

Then you add your shrimp, boil for 1 more minute, and pull the basket out, let the water drain out.

When it has drained, you dump the frogmore stew onto a table, and there you go.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:52 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Like my shrimp ceviche style, served with a side of corn chips - yum.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:26 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Skewered, Fried, Breaded, and Grilled. All 4. It depends how I want to eat them. I grew up eating shrimp, so I eat it any way I feel like eating it.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
if you have a lot of people, and a lot of shrimp, you make some frogmore stew. We do this several times a year, especially at the beach in the summertime.

you need an outdoor propane cooker, a steamer pot, a basket.

You fill the steamer pot halfway with water, and pour in old bay seasoning and salt.

When it reaches a boil, you throw in the red potatoes, wait 20 minutes.

Then you add kielbasa and boil for 10 minutes.

Then you add your sweet corn, and boil for 5 minutes.

Then you add your shrimp, boil for 1 more minute, and pull the basket out, let the water drain out.

When it has drained, you dump the frogmore stew onto a table, and there you go.
Yum......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink