Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times

Advertisements

I have more space in my frige than I do in my pantry. It's also easier to get to. And I certainly don't want to see mayo and ketchup sitting around on the counters or the table. Butter is kept in a covered butterdish next to the toaster. Bread is in the cabinet over the toaster.

I don't know if ketchup really spoils, but I think it changes flavor and gets yucky tasting if it's not refrigerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasChick View Post
Great info on cooking oil found here: Cooking oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

excerpt below regarding storage of cooking oils

Storing and keeping oil

Whether refined or not, all oils are sensitive to heat, light and exposure to oxygen. Rancid oil has an unpleasant aroma and acrid taste, and its nutrient value is greatly diminished. To delay the development of rancid oil, a blanket of an inert gas, usually nitrogen, is applied to the vapor space in the storage container immediately after production. This is referred to as tank blanketing.
It is best to store all oils in the refrigerator or a cool, dry place. Oils may thicken, but if you let them stand at room temperature they will soon return to liquid. To prevent negative effects of heat and light, take oils out of cold storage just long enough to use them. Refined oils high in monounsaturated fats keep up to a year (olive oil will keep up to a few years), while those high in polyunsaturated fats keep about six months. Extra-virgin and virgin olive oils keep at least 9 months after opening. Other monounsaturated oils keep well up to a high eight months; unrefined polyunsaturated oils only about half as long.
Oh I am safe... phew.... LOL....9mos... that sounds about right for the small bottles I buy....ok... I keep them in my pantry.... MY evoo goes a lot faster than that- maybe five months for a small bottle...Thanks for the info.....

Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I have more space in my frige than I do in my pantry. It's also easier to get to. And I certainly don't want to see mayo and ketchup sitting around on the counters or the table. Butter is kept in a covered butterdish next to the toaster. Bread is in the cabinet over the toaster.

I don't know if ketchup really spoils, but I think it changes flavor and gets yucky tasting if it's not refrigerated.
Here is some information on ketchup:

Unopened bottles of ketchup may be stored up to one year in a cool, dry place. Once opened, you may store it in a cool environment, away from sun and/or heat, for about 1 month. For longer shelf life after opening, refrigeration is recommended. Refer to expiration dates on the container.

Storing opened ketchup in a heated environment such as in direct sunlight or in a kitchen that is constantly hot can invite fermentation which can actually cause a minor explosion when opening the container. The explosion makes the ketchup squirt out when opened which probably won't be harmful to you, but it will make quite a mess and stain your clothing. Discard any ketchup that shows signs of fermentation.

And I have experienced the ketchup exploding - from way back when when I waited and bartended - huge mess!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My mom never refrigerated the butter she set out in the butter dish. We'd use one stick in less than two days.
ROTFL! Our neighbor does this, and we think it's so weird!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I wouldn't store ALL the butter out of the refrigerator (yick), but I think it's weird that so many people think it's weird to have one stick out on the counter! I can't imagine going through life never having spreadable butter.. You poor souls. I don't actually leave it out all the time, but if I know I'm going to use it up within a couple of days I have no problem at all with leaving it on the counter.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Oh I am safe... phew.... LOL....9mos... that sounds about right for the small bottles I buy....ok... I keep them in my pantry.... MY evoo goes a lot faster than that- maybe five months for a small bottle...Thanks for the info.....
I buy olive oils in tins -- cheaper if you use it a lot, like I do (I can't stand salad dressings and prefer plain olive oil) -- and transfer small amounts into glass jars for serving. The olive oil stays in a dark cool place (pantry in summer, basement in winter because the pantry is too cold) and only small amounts are exposed to light.

Thanks for the info on ketchup and oils, KansasChick!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I've kept ALL my food in the fridge before! When I was in a place that had a roach problem, and even bombing didn't help...it was easier to keep ALL food in the fridge once opened. Crackers, potato chips, cereal, whatever!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Don't know what to do with bananas tho'. Everytime I bring them home and put them on a counter, gnats appear!

They're not gnats, they're perfectly harmless fruit flies. (Same bugs you genetically sorted out by eye color in HS biology). Their eggs are on the banana when you bring them home, and they hatch in your kitchen.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Don't refridgerate potatoes or bananas or bread. I do freeze bread if I will not be using it for days.
I grew up on a farm and most everything is fresher and lasts longer in the refridgerator.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
I refrigerate almost everything, not peanut butter, potatoes though. Bread I do not, but my mother will freeze bread. I always hated that for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink