U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times

Advertisements

Is your fridge full of stuff that does not need to be in there?

Things like ketchup, mustard, pickles, salad dressings, etc. don't need to be, because they contain so much vinegar. Even store-bought mayo can stay out for months.

I DO refrigerate my bananas. They turn brown on the outside quicker, but the inside keeps its texture longer in the fridge.

I wish I could buy eggs that have never been refrigerated. That's what we bought in South America, and it is unbelievable how an egg tastes that has never been refrigerated.

I have gone on long car trips, and continued to eat un-refrigerated foods for weeks after I thought they would go bad, because so many foods now are packed with preservatives. Like lunch meats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:57 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,585,891 times
I actually try and buy foods that have as little preservatives as possible.... even deli meat, hotdogs and sausage....so as soon as things are open they go right into the fridge....

Old 10-29-2008, 03:06 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,179 times
Ketchup that is not refrigerated will spoil after it is opened, although it is very acidic product, ketchup does not spoil easily, it will spoil. Refrigeration retards spoilage. I have worked in many restaurants and seen it happen several times.

I agree with skbs - the fewer - or no preservatives the better. To much artificial crap in our food between the food coloring, perservatives and other chemical crap they put in there.

Yes it doesn't keep as long - but it is healthier and the quality of the food is better. Plus, I don't really want to take a chance and get sick because I didn't refrigerate something!

Last edited by KansasChick; 10-29-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 03:15 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
My mom never refrigerated the butter she set out in the butter dish. We'd use one stick in less than two days. We never refrigerated jelly.

My fridge is full of stuff that doesn't need to be there, but if that keeps me from throwing food away, so much the better.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:21 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
My husband's sisters leave butter out and it grosses me out!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,585,891 times
My grandmother left butter out when I was growing up... and then we all got sick one year... butter now goes in the fridge....

Old 10-29-2008, 03:25 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
We have butter in the fridge for keeping and outside the fridge for using.

Bread stays out of the fridge (I know some people who keep it in!).

Probably don't need to put our ketchup or mustard or bbq sauce or soy sauce in the fridge, but we do.

Our fruits stay out, our veggies go in! I wonder why that is...hmmmm...

It's true, though...we have eaten leftovers that have been left out for hours or even overnight with amazement at how they are still good - but then I remember how many people in other countries leave their yogurts, breads, cooked veggies out for days with no problems.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:30 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,179 times
Depending what it is, I leave fresh produce out of the fridge. Tomatoes are better and more flavorful - not refrigerated. Don't refrigerate onions, garlic, squash, avocados, etc. Some produce keeps better out of the fridge - others don't.

I have suffered from food poisoning and eating bad food too many times. If I have any doubts or if it's questionable - throw it out! Not worth getting sick over.

I keep my bread in the microwave (less air and it keeps longer) I do freeze some - but find it gets dried out when I defrost it

Old 10-29-2008, 03:34 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,979,988 times
I keep all my hot sauces in the fridge. They're all mostly vinegar, peppers and salt. However, I wanted to keep some at work for my lunches, and was disappointed by how fast the red sauce turned into a nasty looking brown when kept unrefrigerated in my desk.

I keep bread and rolls in there because I don't eat them fast enough before they mold when kept out. Doesn't seem to harm the taste or texture.

I keep potatoes in the cold as well because they sprout like crazy when I keep them out, even in a cool dark basement. Apparently cold temps are supposed to degrade flavor or texture, but it's better than having them spoiled.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:34 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
I remember growing up-the turkey just thawing on the counter the day before and after it being cooked being just left out on the stovetop til next day. We lived but I don't know how!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink