Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,156,497 times

Advertisements

I have maybe 15, but I never use them anymore. I like finding recipes online a lot better, especially where I can see it rated before I try it. I use allrecipes.com a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 PM

849 posts, read 1,947,173 times
I probably have close to 100, but like many of you, I look up online more now. I especially like recipezaar.com. My favorite cook books tend to be those fund raiser kind from local churches and such.
When I first came to US in 1983, I used Joy of Cooking a lot. I haven't even opened the book in 10 years or more. I'd like to get cookbooks from America's Test Kitchen. Does anyone have them?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,206,865 times
192...and that does not include my grandmothers...she just moved in!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:37 AM

13 posts, read 33,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

I am so jealous. I used to have so many and then we moved into the motorhome. I got rid of all of them and now I only have 1 cookbook. That's just pitiful.
oooo nooo Lisa, i'd love to be starting out again, being able to go and browse the bookstore looking for new recipe books!!.

SmokyMtnGal, thanks for sharing your photos....i love looking at peoples bookshelves, and even better when they are recipe books!.

i have about 30 recipe books here in the UK....having come over 6yrs ago with 2!. goodness know how many i have packed away in NZ just waiting to see the light of day!. looking at those photos though, reminded me of some.....i have some Gooseberry Patch as well....must go have a look at their website!.

i dont use the internet that much for recipes, but i do pull them from magazines and put them into a file.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,666,120 times
OMG... I can not even begin to count how many I have!! We just moved and a lot of mine were packed away, when we were in our other home! Our new place I'll be able to have all on book shelves for easier access!! I do use the internet sometimes when I'm in a hurry.

I love to sit at Barnes & Noble with a cup of java and read as many cook books as I can!! There is something so comforting going through them....good therapy for me...

And yes, all the recipe books I own.. I do use!! I do have my favorites, though!
I guess you could say cooking is one of my favorite things to do and everybody around me likes that the fact I like to cook too !!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,336,207 times
I could go count, but I might not make it back here until the middle of next week.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I could go count, but I might not make it back here until the middle of next week.
LOL.... I so hear what your saying!! It may be two weeks for me..

May be that is a sign I need to donate a few...?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
LOL.... I so hear what your saying!! It may be two weeks for me..

May be that is a sign I need to donate a few...?

Too funny! We have rule in this house; my husband is not allowed to buy a new cookbook unless he discards an old one first!

But it is my own fault! I created the monster! Eons ago, when we first started courting, he was always underfoot in the kitchen. I finally told him if he wanted to visit, he had to help with the meal and set him to work making salad- so he was fixed at one spot in front of the sink. He has graduated to bread making and grilling the Thanksiving turkey.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:07 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,308,210 times
For all of you lucky people that have so many be nice and send the extra's my way.

I have some Walden's gift certificates. It's time to go shopping. I love some of the older cookbooks but some of those long ago ingredients are "gone".

Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Too funny! We have rule in this house; my husband is not allowed to buy a new cookbook unless he discards an old one first!

But it is my own fault! I created the monster! Eons ago, when we first started courting, he was always underfoot in the kitchen. I finally told him if he wanted to visit, he had to help with the meal and set him to work making salad- so he was fixed at one spot in front of the sink. He has graduated to bread making and grilling the Thanksiving turkey.
What a gal.... you go girl! I guess I messed up long time ago, when I was always scooting my hb out of the kitchen!!! Dang....my bad!
I'd rather have the monster buying cook books and wanting to cook!!

PS if you could see his scramble eggs.... you know what I mean!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink