Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Why? I have alwyas let the meat sit on the botto m of the crock pot

Anyway, if I dont want my food on the bottom of the pan I sit the meat on top of carrots or sticks of celery or something. Can that be healthy in the crock pot all day in direct contact with the foil?
I use the foil when I am fixing a chicken that closely resembles "rotisserie style". If I am doing a roast or something with vegetables I don't use the foil balls. This method is to prevent the chicken from sitting in its' own juices and makes for a dryer exterior - well, rotisserie style! I like for the skin to keep the rub on it and this works perfectly this way. Some slow cookers actually come with a trivet for this exact purpose but mine didn't. The foil balls work the same way. I use 4 or 5 and they kind of prop up the chicken on "stilts". I usually cook my chicken on low for 8-10 hours (sometimes high for 4 hours) and this seems to work great. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 AM

589 posts, read 1,635,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
That is sooo funny, Gue. Me too!
You beat me! I didn't know until I just read this post!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I use the foil when I am fixing a chicken that closely resembles "rotisserie style". If I am doing a roast or something with vegetables I don't use the foil balls. This method is to prevent the chicken from sitting in its' own juices and makes for a dryer exterior - well, rotisserie style! I like for the skin to keep the rub on it and this works perfectly this way. Some slow cookers actually come with a trivet for this exact purpose but mine didn't. The foil balls work the same way. I use 4 or 5 and they kind of prop up the chicken on "stilts". I usually cook my chicken on low for 8-10 hours (sometimes high for 4 hours) and this seems to work great. Hope this helps.

Yes, that makes sense if you want it to stay dry(ier) Thanks!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:22 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,859 times
Anyone know why when you sometimes cover something with foil and put it in the refrigerator, then get it out later, the food has little specks of the foil on it?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:34 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Thanks SmokyMtnGal I have the trivet rack in mine to use or put veggies down first to sit meat on at times.

soonerguy I have never had that happen to me so I can't tell you why sorry.

To the person who caters saying they always turn the shiny side in do you when covering a casserole too? I turn it in for baked potatoes in the oven if I use foil sometimes I just grease them and put them on a baking sheet if I want crispy skins.

We make foil balls for our cat to play with he doesn't care if the shiny side is in or out.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I put it over the bottom rackin my oven, so I never need to clean my oven. That's all, I have most of the roll, and never get it down out of the cupboard.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
As embarassing as it is, I only learned this year to punch in the sides of the box to hold the aluminum foil steady.
Me too! And my Mom....it was in an e-mail that went around!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:22 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Something on tv said that the only reason one side is shiny and the other dull is because of the way the foil goes through rollers when it is being manufactured. The shiny side is against the rollers and gets "polished." But it makes no difference in function. (just bein' a smarty pants)

Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I stopped using foil and started getting glass dishes to bake in and enamel. I still need a good roaster....So for now when I have whole chicken its the burn preventer blanket.
Other than that I only like the taste of food off stainless steel, enamel or glass.
I seriously cannot believe how much money I saved by not buying foil , papertowels etc. and going with the "old school" mama versions of food prep with dishes instead of disposable.

Its crazy!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:42 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
Anyone know why when you sometimes cover something with foil and put it in the refrigerator, then get it out later, the food has little specks of the foil on it?
Thin foil sticks to food. Put a sheet of wax paper over you food first and then wrap in the foil. Or a food saver collection of dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink