U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Papa John's, or Little Caesar's?
Pizza Hut 35 26.92%
Dominoes 23 17.69%
Papa John's 45 34.62%
Little Caesar's 18 13.85%
All of them are crap. 31 23.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,969,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I like the Brooklyn Style Crust at Dominoes. When I order a pie, I ask them to go easy on the sauce. It's not too bad considering no one makes good pizza west of NYC.
Chicago make good pizza, and thats west of NYC. Anyway, I chose Pizza Hut, but Beggar's Pizza is also good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 PM

821 posts, read 254,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
I can understand that being a sin in New York but in Italy an Italian should get the death penalty if they eat at Pizza Hut (joking, but still). That's a big mystery as to why Italy would want a Pizza Hut. I thinking that I went to the wrong place but the pizza I had in BK (around Bayridge) was average, but my folk in CT took me to some place that had really good clam sauce type of pizza.
Capitalism.
These chains make capitalist pizza. its not to make good food or provide any type of artistry in cooking. It is all about increasing profits and making American citizens fat.
Private pizzerias have soul, emotion, care, pride and love in their food.
Most of these chains treat their employees like crap too.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 AM

769 posts, read 1,477,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Capitalism.
These chains make capitalist pizza. its not to make good food or provide any type of artistry in cooking. It is all about increasing profits and making American citizens fat.
Private pizzerias have soul, emotion, care, pride and love in their food.
Most of these chains treat their employees like crap too.
You must go to different small-time restaurants than I do. Unfortunately, I've worked at and patronized small restaurants that treated their employees and customers like crap. Sometimes they put soul, care, and pride in their food but they hardly ever put soul, care, and pride in their customer service and employeen relations.

I like to go to chains because if I have a problem with bad service or food I can call corporate and have them remedy the situation by giving a discount. If I have bad customer service at a small restaurant from the manager then I have to deal with it like I deserve it.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,261,201 times
I spent three years as a store manager for Domino's Pizza in the Hartford area and then Minneapolis from 1987 to 1990. I noted at that time that the Domino's Pizza sauce was essentially all natural with no preservatives or additives for flavoring i.e. chemicals which gave it a better taste than the competition at Pizza Hut. Our store in Cromwell, CT, (closed a few months after I quit) used Lang Air Deck ovens instead of the conveyer belt ovens most of these chains use. A few other Domino's also used the Bakers Pride deck gas ovens and both of these deck ovens produced a vastly superior pizza to the stuff coming out of the conveyer belts. We actually had customers DRIVE TO OUR STORE from adjacent towns in the Hartford area to buy a pizza. Even though they not only lived outside of our delivery radius and three towns that we served, they still wanted our pizza.

A few years later I went to work for Pizza Hut and noted how terrible tasting the sauce was. After viewing the ingredients I could understand why. Filled with chemicals and MSG no less. I could not eat the stuff because I'd get sick from it. Pizza Hut used the conveyer ovens and they produced a crust that was rubbery and not crisp like a pizza crust should be.

That being said, the best pizza places are Mom and Pop shops as a few people have already pointed out. The NYC metro area, much of Connecticut and New Jersey have the best pizza in the country if you like NY Style and Greek Style Pizza. I also happen to like the pizza I've had in many of the Chicago area eateries and while it is a bit different, it's still excellent in its own right.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,529,827 times
In New Mexico its all Pizza Hut, everything else has to try to fight the competition, but they end up closing.. except for Eatza Pizza they are champs!! haha

Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
You must go to different small-time restaurants than I do. Unfortunately, I've worked at and patronized small restaurants that treated their employees and customers like crap. Sometimes they put soul, care, and pride in their food but they hardly ever put soul, care, and pride in their customer service and employeen relations.

I like to go to chains because if I have a problem with bad service or food I can call corporate and have them remedy the situation by giving a discount. If I have bad customer service at a small restaurant from the manager then I have to deal with it like I deserve it.
Do you work for one of these chains? You sound very corporate?
Corporate food sux, I'm supposed to get better service from the Dominoes guy who works for Company X than the family business where eveyone works for the family and the community. Corportions can only try to copy that, but often fail miserably.
So if the food sux at Pizza Hut, i have to call up some office 100 miles away and complain in order to get a discount on the crap? That doesn't even sound like eating anymore, sounds like buying a car!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM

430 posts, read 820,978 times
Mike0421...that pizza doesn't look all that appetizing. If you're trying to woo us, show us something better.

I'll order Papa John's if we're ordering for a crowd. Otherwise, I'm giving a shout out to Pastazio's and Campania's in Dallas (both owners from NY for you NYC pizza snobs), to Giordano's in Chicago and to Papa Lou's in Petoskey MI. Little Caesar's was sometimes Sunday dinner in college when there was one on campus and because it was cheaper than dirt.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Mike0421...that pizza doesn't look all that appetizing. If you're trying to woo us, show us something better.

I'll order Papa John's if we're ordering for a crowd. Otherwise, I'm giving a shout out to Pastazio's and Campania's in Dallas (both owners from NY for you NYC pizza snobs), to Giordano's in Chicago and to Papa Lou's in Petoskey MI. Little Caesar's was sometimes Sunday dinner in college when there was one on campus and because it was cheaper than dirt.
It taste a lot better than it looks, it doesn't have a make up artist like the chain pizza.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,043,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Snobs? We're not pizza snobs here in New York City. It's just that we happen to know good pizza when we taste it...and it doesn't come from franchises.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,178,076 times
Papa John's but I have to say Italy makes the best pizzas and my family. Can't beat Italians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink