Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:38 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times

Advertisements

Don't you hate it when someone lists a recipe that calls for eggs and doesn't say what size eggs to use? Me too. And I like eggnog year round, not just for a special occasion. This recipe does it all.

Every Day Pamper Me Eggnog

5 jumbo egg yolks
1/3 C sugar
1 C 2% milk
8 oz whipped topping
2 oz cinnamon. whiskey
5 jumbo egg whites
1 t vanilla

In a metal bowl, beat the egg yolks until they lighten, then gradually add some of the sugar and beat until dissolved. Add milk and whiskey and stir to combine. Whip the egg whites until they are frothy, then add a bit of the sugar until stiff peaks form. Whisk egg whites into the first bowl, add vanilla and beat for an additional 5 seconds. Pour into container with a lid, chill and serve. Garnish with nutmeg or cinnamon. Makes about 1 liter.

You can use any liquor you want to, I believe the standard is Southern Comfort or bourbon. Most recipes call for 2-3 ounces of either. I used about 3 capfuls. I like to try a different liquor now and then and today's nog I used cinnamon whiskey. Very nice nightcap to an ordinary day

Most nogs call for whole milk and heavy cream, but why make it hard on myself? Use the convenient stuff and the everyday milk. I hardly ever use heavy cream for anything else and never drink whole milk, so rarely have it in the house unless I plan in advance to make nog.

Me plan something in advance? That's a good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 01:53 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
[font=Century Gothic]You can use any liquor you want to, I believe the standard is Southern Comfort or bourbon.
Well not any liquor; you'd have one really revolting nog if you used gin. Can't imagine tequila would play well with eggnog either.

Southern Comfort is a liqueur, whiskey based, so sure that would be nice, if a bit sweet. If you did go the Southern Comfort route, go witht he higher proof version. The peach flavor in SoCo would be really nice now that I think about it. I'm a firm believer in bourbon, but wouldn't decline a nog made with dark rum nor brandy.

Quote:
Most nogs call for whole milk and heavy cream, but why make it hard on myself?
Richness, flavor and body. If you're making something resembling egg nog to drink all year round, this would be really good, and a decent compromise to get your fix. But for me eggnog is strictly a once a year proposition, and I want it to be the absolute best, which means there's going to be some heavy cream in it.

Excellent advice on using a metal bowl to beat eggs; that's a very easy rookie mistake, but I don't see the point in bringing the whites to peaks? Yours is not the first recipe I've seen that calls for doing that, and I'm just wondering if you know why. It would seem to me they'd be easier to integrate at soft peak, and it's not like they maintain structure once they're integrated.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:03 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Yup. It's that time again.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,912 times
Smile Bring on the nog

I'm a noghog...what can I say. Plain ole cheapstuff; homemade perfection; eggnog shakes.....you name it I chug it. I have an excellent old (very old) eggnog colbert recipe....I'll dig it out and post it here. Pretty Scrumptous Dude

Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 PM

I don't want to make eggnog.

I want someone to invite me over and serve it to me. Tastes better when someone else makes it.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
You mean you don't cook egg nog? You mean you are actually eating raw eggs? I thought I watched somone make it once and they actually cooked it in a pan no the stove before putting it in bottles and refrigerating. But maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway, I drink it if someone else has made it or buy it from the store. I love it. But I didn't really want to know if it has raw eggs in it.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You mean you don't cook egg nog? You mean you are actually eating raw eggs? I thought I watched somone make it once and they actually cooked it in a pan no the stove before putting it in bottles and refrigerating. But maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway, I drink it if someone else has made it or buy it from the store. I love it. But I didn't really want to know if it has raw eggs in it.
No worries. The alcohol will take care of that fer ya..

Old 11-15-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Do you cook your egg yolks hard? If you don't, the risk of getting salmonella is about the same; which is to say very small. The store bought stuff is pasteurized, which is one of the reasons it's never as good as home made.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
No worries. The alcohol will take care of that fer ya..
I've often wondered if there's any truth to that. Whenever I think I might have the start of a stomach bug I've always downed a good shot of high proof bourbon. Seems to work out for me pretty well.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:38 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,912 times
Default Funny bird noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I don't want to make eggnog.

I want someone to invite me over and serve it to me. Tastes better when someone else makes it.
You know, "woof woof woof" is a strange sound for a bird to make..........."you lazy buzzard".......just kiddin'; get it how you can man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes