Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What company makes the best canned soup
Campbells 15 51.72%
Pregresso 9 31.03%
Healthy Choice 0 0%
other/ generic store brand 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times

Advertisements

What company makes your favorite soup? I think I'm a Campbells man although their soup can be too salty even when you add water. Progresso gives youo large chunks of meat but the soup lacks seasoning. I've never tried Healthy Choice- is it any good? I think it's good to know about these things seeing that winter is knocking at our doors....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
We eat a lot of Progresso, and stock up when it's on sale for $1 a can. You can always add your own seasonings.

My personal favorite is Snow's condensed clam chowder, but that seems to hard to find these days.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
What company makes your favorite soup? I think I'm a Campbells man although their soup can be too salty even when you add water. Progresso gives youo large chunks of meat but the soup lacks seasoning. I've never tried Healthy Choice- is it any good? I think it's good to know about these things seeing that winter is knocking at our doors....

I like Progresso's Clam Chowder but generally buy generic brands of tomato, chicken soup and bean with bacon.

I like to make soup and it isn't that difficult with a crock pot. Then freeze the remainder.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Canned soup. No way.

I would much rather buy fresh or make my own. Soup is very easy to make, and so many wonderful varieties! I'd rather see what's going into my food.

However, that said, Campbells cream of mushroom makes a mean chicken and rice or tuna casserole.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,111 times
Quote:
My personal favorite is Snow's condensed clam chowder, but that seems to hard to find these days.
That was really good clam chowder for canned!! I can't find it anymore either.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
There is a brand of Mexican soups out of L.A. called Juanita's. These are the only canned soups I buy to eat as soup, as opposed to buying certain types of Campbells for use in quick sauces.
Attached Thumbnails
Canned Soup-pozole.jpg  

Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
None. I make a different 5 qt soup every week. It is so easy and inexpensive. One of my dh favorites is cream of potato leek soup. Warms the tummy in Winter.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Same here-when I make soup I have those smaller ziplock containers and just portion,label and they're always in freezer for quick lunch.

I have tried the new Campbell's Healthy line and they're not too bad.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Canned soup. No way.
I would much rather buy fresh or make my own. Soup is very easy to make, and so many wonderful varieties! I'd rather see what's going into my food.

However, that said, Campbells cream of mushroom makes a mean chicken and rice or tuna casserole.
Oh Woof, you were doing so well, and then you had to bring up the CCoM....we'll work on that.

I don't buy soup anymore. I think it's probably harder to make ice than it is to make soup. If you do any cooking at all, you can make soup. If I could give ONE single piece of advice to someone looking to really get into the food they eat it would be this:

Are you ready?

Here it is....

*****Buy whole chickens (Preferably from a farmer's market) and learn to take them apart.*******

If you do that one thing - other things will start to change too. You'll suddenly have chicken bones sitting around. They will become stock. You'll find ways to use dark meat. You'll be at the farmer's market anyway, so you'll probably pick up a few other things while you're there....

I hear you saying that you don't have time - but I think you do. Spend 20 minutes at a farmer's market once a week. You can do that, can't you? You'll spend less time at the grocery store looking for soup, lol.

Oh, but you don't know how to cut up a chicken, you say? If you're reading this, you can probably get to YouTube.com. Search for "Cut up a chicken". You don't need to be a chef to do this; I'm willing to bet that most of your grandmothers knew how to do it. It takes a little practice, but not a lot of time.

Just think of the soups you can make just starting with chicken stock! There must be thousands! Add vegetables, add noodles, add rice, add tortillas, dumplings, matzo balls - go nuts! And that's just soup. Don't forget the chicken stew, BBQ chicken - cut off the wings and freeze them until you've got 20 or so and make the best Buffalo Wings...

Oh, but making stock takes hours, you say - and I'm not going to argue; because you're right - it does take 4 or 5 hours to do it right. That's why I do it Sunday night. Save your chicken bones in the freezer and do it then. It's not like you have to babysit it too much; I'm watching TV or playing on-line poker pretty much the whole time.

And Woof - I haven't forgotten about you and the mushroom soup. Sauteed mushrooms and a
bechamel sauce will take that chicken rice to a whole new level.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
Well, here's my confession. I love Campbell's tomato soup. Mind you, I can make a far superior tomato soup myself and often do. But, there is something about Campbell's tomato soup that takes me back to childhood. Of course, it can't be served without a grilled cheese sandwich alongside it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink