Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times

Advertisements

the weather's warming up & won't be long it'l be bbq time, what's your favorite, ribs, steaks, etc, do you use a rub, marinate, just slap it on the grill, mayby an open fire.

do you use gas, briquetes, lump charcoal, slow cook, grill, smoke it.

how about sauce do you make your own.

now everybody has done the, hmmmm wonder what this would taste like on the grill, whats the strangest thing you've ever grilled.

mine i like lump charcoal
just plain ol grill no time for a sloww bbq
pork ya gotta use a rub
strangest thing, well let's see what pops up then i'll tell, lol.

next post, deep fried, heck i'll deep fry allmost anything lol.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
We have an electric outdoor grill. No muss, no fuss. My favorite is a nice, thick porterhouse steak sprinkled with Season All. I try and avoid strange things when it comes to food.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:33 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
Oh Joe you are talking my kind of meal! Love to grill out.

My preference is charcoal, my hubby likes the gas grill - to me it cooks too hot.

Steaks - Just marry it for a few hours in teriyaki sauce and put on the grill. Works great, I have a friend that marrys the steak in olive oil, I never tried that one.

Ribs - Gotta have the rub and then home made bbq sauce. I made one up a couple of days ago for chicken and it was great.

Chicken - I make up a honey and teriyaki sauce to put on while grilling.

Pork - I love just salt, pepper and garlic on thick pork loin chops.

Lots of ways to grill seafood. Oh man, I have to get the grill going this weekend.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:45 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Mine is a charcoal grill with a smoker chamber if I want to smoke. I've smoked pork loins over seven hours...looks just like it came from Swiss Colony, etc.
I like to grill corn on the cob. You gently peel the cornskins down but be careful not to tear them. Then use a toothbrush against the grain to remove the cornsilk. Then I baste the corn with garlic butter with pepper, and I've also used a yogurt baste, though I can't remember how to make it. Then I roll the skins back up to the tip of the cobs and lay them on the grill. The corn steams inside it's own skins and is amazingly delicious.
I also like to do what I did in Guantanamo on the beach when I was stationed there years ago. We'd put a thinner steak, salt and pepper it, then wrap it in an aluminum foil pocket and stuff the inside with onions, garlic, peppers, whatever and then seal it up and lay it on the grill...YUM!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:46 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,525 times
The following is my favorite "food/BBQ site." The information I have gained from it is awesome, and there are some nice folks posting on it.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=22

Don't know if this is kosher to post another site on this one or not...hope it is...but it really is a nice site.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:50 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
We have a large gas barbecue - I cook our Easter ham on it using the indirect heat method (3 burners - the one in the middle turned off - the ham goes on foil over the middle burner) turned fairly low....it gives the ham the most wonderful flavor - no sauce of glaze needed.

One of my favorite barbecue recipes is an old Martha Stewart recipe for a marinated and barbecued pork roast served with fresh roasted plums.

For barbecued corn, I do it a little different than most people - I don't like the messiness of soaking the corn in the husks and guests dealing with the husks after the ears have been barbecued (although it does taste wonderful this way too).... so I've come up with a very easy method that allows you to do most of the prep ahead of time - everyone always raves over this corn:

I nuke the husked ears of corn in the microwave 3 at a time for 4 minutes (just till the ears are hot)....then place them in a flat baking dish and baste them with butter and rub the ears all over with a blend of herbs and spices (I vary this but always include powdered adobo, cayenne, a touch of chili powder, lemon salt, pepper and maybe a dash of Emeril Lagasse's Essence). Then I cover the pan with foil and set aside until after the meat is cooked and the barbecue is hot....I place the ears on the hot grill and turn every minute or two until some kernels are slightly blackened....corn is outstanding cooked this way - partly because the herb butter infuses beautifully with the hot corn while it sits)

I also like to grill skewered fresh vegetables (Japanese eggplant, large mushrooms, chunks of fresh corn, yellow and zucchini squashes, tomato chunks, etc.)...brushed with butter or olive oil and salt and peppered - yum.

Grilled stuffed tomatoes: I make a blend of fresh bread crumbs and fresh thyme, rosemary and basil, minced garlic, minced scallions, salt and pepper - then stuff the mixture into the cavities of beefsteak tomatoes (that have been halved with seeds and juice removed)....barbecue at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes depending on how hot your grill is and how big the tomatoes are - then top with a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and drizzled with olive oil and grilled for a minute or two more.

I used to have a wonderful brisket recipe that I have lost - it started with the brisket in the oven and was finished on the barbecue - would love to find that recipe.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Mine is a charcoal grill with a smoker chamber if I want to smoke. I've smoked pork loins over seven hours...looks just like it came from Swiss Colony, etc.
I like to grill corn on the cob. You gently peel the cornskins down but be careful not to tear them. Then use a toothbrush against the grain to remove the cornsilk. Then I baste the corn with garlic butter with pepper, and I've also used a yogurt baste, though I can't remember how to make it. Then I roll the skins back up to the tip of the cobs and lay them on the grill. The corn steams inside it's own skins and is amazingly delicious.
I also like to do what I did in Guantanamo on the beach when I was stationed there years ago. We'd put a thinner steak, salt and pepper it, then wrap it in an aluminum foil pocket and stuff the inside with onions, garlic, peppers, whatever and then seal it up and lay it on the grill...YUM!
Your steak package works great for potatoes too! Just dice the potatoes add some onion, peppers, and a little bacon.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:45 PM

I found this rib rub years ago which works pretty good in winter when you can't bbq outside & have to use oven but you can always adjust it to the bbq using a low indirect fire.

pork loin back ribs

First Stage Dry Rub:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
mix well in plastic bowl

Second Stage:
1/2 cup apple juice per slab
or
1/2 cup grape juice per slab

Raw Preparation: Place slab of ribs bone side down on table.
Slide knife under the membrane and against the end bone to separate the 2. With a dry paper towel, grasp the edge of the thin membrane and pull.
The entire membrane should separate from the rib.

pour dry rub into seperate bowl as needed as to not contaminate your original mixture, save clean unused mixture in bowl with lid for future use.
Work rub into meat generously, put in plastic bag, then refrigerate overnight

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Place ribs meat-side up on a broiler pan and bake for 2 1/2 hours.

Remove ribs from oven.
Place each rib meat-side down
Mix the Second Stage
brush liquid over each rib.
Return to the oven for 1/2 hour.

Remove ribs from oven.
rotate meat side back up.
apply more second stage
Place in the oven meat-side up for another 1/2 hour.

increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Cook ribs in oven for 20 minutes or until your liking, apply juice as needed, use sauce of preference in final few minutes.

some wrap in foil then unwrap in later stages but it's up to you.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:04 PM

strangest thing i ever tried to bbq was beef ribs, now i don't know how many have messed with beef ribs but i'm here to tell you (as wendy bagwell would put it) with my hand up in the air, i took those ribs out of the package puttem on the grate & you would have swore i was cookin dinosaur ribs lol.

when i looked at them in the package they looked like they might be decent & not nearly as big as when opened, but well i sure went wrong on those, it should have dawned on me beef ribs = cow = biggg ribs but nope, & cooking time, i thought i was going to have to have a truck load of wood brought in, but all in all i still had my hopes up that they would taste decent, spent hours cookin those dinosaur ribs took one bite & those were flat out nasty lol.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 PM

I don't like beef ribs either, I tried them in a crock pot and they were still awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink