U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM

727 posts, read 1,249,004 times

Advertisements

I think its a south/north and black/white thing.......but thats me generalizing!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 PM

4,161 posts, read 3,089,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
I think its a south/north and black/white thing.......but thats me generalizing!!
I don't think you could generalize and more than that AND i agree.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:07 AM

423 posts, read 1,122,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Well, in The South, I think you will find sweet potato pie to be more common, and that is across racial lines. I know blacks and whites down here that make and enjoy either, but in each case you are more likely to encounter sweet potato. So to that extent I would not say it is a racial divide on that, just a regional culture thing. In The North, you won't see sweet potato pie much, if at all, but the few times I did run across it indeed it WAS more likely among black people...maybe just a case of taking food preferences north with them when family members relocated from states to the south. You cook what you know and prefer even when you move and the base ingredients are not as common in your new locale. Family tradition and custom endure even over great distance and time. There is probably a comparable divide concerning where rice wins out (or at least has an increased preference) over potatoes as being a featured starch in a meal. Southerners DO tend to embrace rice more frequently than Northerners, maybe because we have grown it down here for so long.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:48 AM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
Perhaps it has nothing to do with culture or race, and everything to do with the length of the growing season.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,602,834 times
We would have to ask someone in the south.

I am white/massachusetts/pumpkin pie

my step dad is white/south carolina/sweet potato pie (well that is what he likes but we don't make it lol.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:43 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,606,215 times
Nothing racial or regional here. I simply don't like sweet potatoes. Nobody in my family does so my mom never made sweet potato pie.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:02 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,910,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Homemade pumpkin pie and fresh made whipped cream. Oh yeah!

I do like sweet potatoes but in original form. mostly because of nutritional value.
My son just said last night that he wanted pumpkin pie with whip cream from the can! I never let a can of "whipped cream" or a container of whipped cream within sight of my house...I guess it is what you don't get usually that is special.

I have never had sweet potato pie, and doubt if I ever had sweet potatoes growing up. However, I now love sweet potatoes and we eat them regularly in my house.

I do think it is a regional difference, not a racial one. And I don't think that any increase in northern blacks over northern whites eating it should be attributed to racial culture differences, but as regional again (theory being that a main percentage of those northern blacks preferring sweet potato pie have a cultural history in the South).

Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,468,693 times
I'm black. Both my son and I love both sweet potato and pumpkin pies. My dh, who is also black, hates both. I also LOOOOOOOVE sweet potato pudding. yum!

Born in Texas. Both parents raised in the south.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 AM

5,039 posts, read 3,795,744 times
My family and I are all originally from the northeast and we're white. We all eat sweet potato pie; none of us like pumpkin pie.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 AM

4,784 posts, read 8,018,685 times
Interesting subject! We are white, and I grew up in Oklahoma, and we never had sweet potato pie, although we did always have a sweet potato casserole dish with marshmallows. And for dessert we usually had a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie. (I never did like the pumpkin pie, though) I moved to New England many years ago, and my hubby's family doesn't eat either pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie. I sometimes make a sweet potato casserole (without the marshmallows!), but few in the family will eat sweet potatoes in any form. And pumpkin pie is just reviled by all. His family isn't big on pies of any kind, although they did learn to love my pecan pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink