U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,897,226 times

Advertisements

If your farm land was limited, and you had to grow food that you could get the most of, you planted sweet potatoes, not pumpkins. It's a southern thing. White potatoes don't keep well in the heat and sweet potatoes do. Therefore, they were planted more.

We love sweet potatoes baked, but I usually just buy the canned on (NOT the candied yams) add a little butter.

Too many cooks put too much sugar in the pie. It needs very little.
I haven't eaten many pumpkin pies, I don't like the texture or the flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 08:50 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,602,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
That is the same reciepe you use for a sweet potato pie. The only difference is that receipe uses eggs.
It makes it more firm.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 PM

18,093 posts, read 20,061,218 times
Gee this thread as given me some thought I didn't share when it first started but seem draw to now.

Growing up in midwest rural Indiana my grandmas and mother made all kinds of pies; including pecan, pumpkin, sweet potato, bean and oatmeal along with the usual fruit pies. I didn't realize they were taking me on regional and cultural trips without leaving our house! Who would have thunk it this country girl that has never lived in an inner city, stepped foot in a black Islamic store, bred, born and raised in the north could be so lucky! I just thought it was because they were frugal cooks and used whatever was in season and on hand to feed a growing famiily. BTW we have pumpkin, sweet potato and pecan at all family holiday dinners.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:41 AM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Bean and oatmeal pies? The inner city and black Islamic stores? What in blazes did I miss? LOL

I've never had a bean pie. Didn't realize that it was a cowboy, black Islamic, Chinese thing.

To stay on topic, pumpkin. That's what I grew up with. I could never get enough. My mother and grandmother didn't much care for pumpkin pie. They would reluctantly make one or maybe two a year.

I've had sweet potato pie a couple of times I liked it well enough, but wasn't crazy about it. I do like sweet potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Gee this thread as given me some thought I didn't share when it first started but seem draw to now.

Growing up in midwest rural Indiana my grandmas and mother made all kinds of pies; including pecan, pumpkin, sweet potato, bean and oatmeal along with the usual fruit pies. I didn't realize they were taking me on regional and cultural trips without leaving our house! Who would have thunk it this country girl that has never lived in an inner city, stepped foot in a black Islamic store, bred, born and raised in the north could be so lucky! I just thought it was because they were frugal cooks and used whatever was in season and on hand to feed a growing famiily. BTW we have pumpkin, sweet potato and pecan at all family holiday dinners.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:53 AM

9,538 posts, read 19,413,969 times
I grew up in the south. My mom/grandmom didn't like pumpkin pie so we never had it at Thanksgiving. My dad's mom (who lived in the midwest) did, so we'd have it with them. I'm not that crazy about pumpkin pie, though I'll eat it if it's prepared for me.

Sweet potato pie, on the other hand, is something I discovered as a young adult when eating in a downtown soul food restaurant. I figured out the recipe myself, guessing that it had sweetened condensed milk and a dash of lemon zest and nutmeg, no cinnamon, clove, or allspice. I liked the clean sweetness of that restaurant's version.

So sweet potato pie is my thing, not my family's. At Thanksgiving nowadays, we eat sweet potato casserole with pecans and brown sugar on top. (my recipe too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink