U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM

131,643 posts, read 42,001,474 times
My preference for a slicing roast is the old fashioned rump roast with the bone in. I don't know if you can get one now that is not boneless the way beef is pre packaged before arriving at the retailers. Large buffets are known to use a whole beef round and then slicing it thin. It allow for some well done and some even rare because of the large size. They are way to big for a family dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM

15,772 posts, read 15,387,301 times
Thanks all. Now I'm really confused, lol.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,674 posts, read 10,913,066 times
Up north, they used to serve what they called Steamboat Roast - it was huge - but I can't remember the name of the cut.

It seems to me what I've seen on the AYCE buffet at DH's favorite restaurant is a sirloin of some kind. I know it's not a rib roast.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 PM

15,746 posts, read 10,851,259 times
Have you tried to ask at your local buffet what cut they use? I know in different parts of our country we call same cuts of meats by other names. Say I want to have a brisket, tri-tip or a skirt I would have to order it ahead of time from my butcher because those cuts are not common here.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:26 AM

4,749 posts, read 8,253,640 times
The type of cut that you are probably referring to is a Top Round Roast. It is also called Inside Round. It is called a Top Round because when the butchers put in on the old chopping block, it was on the top. It is called an Inside Round because it is the inside of the leg. This is the tenderest part of the Primal Round. It is used for roasting. You will see this cut as the cold roast beef sold in delis. It is also cut up for Top Round Steaks which is commonly and erroneously called London Broil. London Broil is not a cut of meat but a method of preparation using Flank Steak.

Another Part of the Primal Round is the Bottom Round, also called Outside Round. You can guess why it is called that because it is outside the leg and on the bottom when the butcher puts the primal round on the chopping block. It is also called a Gooseneck. The outside of the leg is tougher because it a muscle that is used more. It should not be roasted, but it sometimes done, but should be braised to tenderize and in a pot roast, swiss steaks, roladen etc. You will also see this section used for a lean cut of corn beef in delis but a traditional corn beef is from the brisket.

The whole leg when it is roasted is commonly called a Steamship Round and would include the Top Round, The Bottom Round, The Eye of Round, the Knuckle and sometimes the rump which all surround the femur bone and the shank. There are many specified cuts for the full round which would have the shank off or on, rump removed full or partial etc. depending on the presentation and size you are need. You will see this most commonly in wedding receptions and buffets because it makes a good show with a large roast. I think it looks better bone-in, especially with the shank bone but it can be bought boneless.

A Top Round can weight from about 14 lbs to 23 lbs up. It i s called a 169 by the NAMP which is the National Association of Meat Purveyors. All meat cuts are defined by this numbering system for identification and specifications. The NAMP is based on the IMPS which is the Institutional Meat Purchasing Standards, as defined by the United States Department of Agriculture.

There are other cuts that can be used for beef roast from the Loin--Strip Loin, SirLoin Butt etc. but I think the Top is more likely what you are talking about and would be a perfect size for a small buffet and easily roasted. I have bought this for my family often and roasted in whole or cut it up in smaller roasts. It would be readily available, in a cryovac bag, at most supermarkets because they cut it up for Top Round Steaks. It would require no trimming and is boneless, a very easy preparation.

Livecontent
CIA Graduate

Old 11-22-2008, 04:30 AM

5,023 posts, read 3,386,495 times
Lisa, I generally buy a boneless rump or a bottom round for roast beef. If I use bottom round I slice it very thin, otherwise it can be a little tough, but it is tasty nonetheless.

For everyday family meals, casual gatherings, and for the health-conscious, the round and bottom sirloin cuts are leaner and more economical, such as tri-tip, round tip, rump, bottom round and eye round.

The premium roasts, including rib, ribeye, top loin and tenderloin, are typically more costly, but ideal for special occasions.

Last edited by CheyDee; 11-22-2008 at 04:41 AM..

Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 AM

21,124 posts, read 23,926,340 times
Top Round for sure. Start it off for the first 35 minutes in a HOT oven to sear it then turn the oven down to 350 for the duration. I usually take it out when it's rare, then cover it with foil and let it sit for an hour before carving (slice it thinly and it's wonderfully tender.) It's very tasty and whatever's left over can be used for stews, curries and a multitude of other dishes. Cheers!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,389,374 times
I would use boneless Eye of Round as that's what my friend used. Maybe Rump Roast would work but stay away from bottom round as there's not enough marbling of fat.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,277 times
The cut used for large crowds and at hotel and buffets is the Steamship Round...it is a huge piece, has to be cooked at 250 for a very long time and thats probably what you ate. It is not the best cut like Prime Rib or Tenderloin but it is very tasty and just as good to me. Sliced wafer thin and stacked on a toasted buttered bun is my favorite way to eat that. Like Arby's(who also use this cut)

Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 AM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,231 posts, read 5,744,792 times
Lisa ~ I wouldn't buy anything other than a rump roast or a bottom round roast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink