U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,710,379 times

Advertisements

$18 just under 5 lbs turkey breast cooked by moi.

From scratch, cooked/prepared by my 22 y/o daughter,

cookies with citrus/cranberries with hazel nuts
stuffing with wild rice & squash
brownies from Katherine Hepburn recipe
roasted brussel sprouts
roasted ENDIVE with GRUYERE!!! ---- best fresh, not so impressive as a leftover )-:
cranberry sauce

mashed parsnip with milk & butter by Mr. Boyfriend

I'm sure I left something out because all of this somehow cost ~$90.

We had 3 left over dinners tonight from the original dinner with a little more to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Ok, lets all post our Thanksgiving menus and favorite recipies!

I'll start--

Turkey---how 'bout that!

Giblet gravy, which I can't make worth a hoot, so I buy it from Luby's, or sometimes you can find it frozen at Kroger;s, stock up when you find it!

celery--I make the bread and celery stuffing, forget that cornbread stuff!

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potato casserole

cranberry relish

lime sour cream jello mold

homemade yeast rolls

celery stuffed with cream cheese

red wine

for the kids, cranberry juice mixed with gingerale

for dessert, pumpkin, mince meat & apple pies & pumpkin ice cream

Not one oriignal thought here!

So, what are the rest of you making, or maybe I'll just take the kids to MCD's

Here's my recipie for cranberry relish, in case anyone cares

Start with fresh, uncooked cranberries

chop them up coarsly in a food processor

put in a jar or container with about a cup of sugar, leave in fridge about two days, until softened to a jelly -like consistency, may need to stir and add more sugar ocassionally

then, add to taste:

brown sugar
cinammon
lemon juice (about 1 tbsp)
about 1/4 can frozen concentrated orange juice
chopped walnuts
diced pineapple
nutmeg

put back in fridge for another day or so

Is good

Oh, the pies---I let Mrs. Smith do that!

Does anyone have anything non-traditional they have for Thanksgiving? some unique dish? I'd like to keep the traditional, and add some unique dish, like, perhaps, some Mex-tex dish, or something.........

Last edited by Beretta; 10-27-2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,109,890 times
I am making beer can turkey for the 7th year. It is so easy and tasty. You prep it the day ahead and cook on the grill on T-day. Saves oven space, too!
This year I am getting a free range turkey hen from my neighbors. Mmm...

I do as much make-ahead as possible.
Turkey gravy from wings I make a couple weeks ahead and freeze.
I prep a pan of stuffing the day before, this year I am trying Cook's Illustrated's new stuffing recipe.
I also make a pan of mashed potato casserole two days before, baking it on T-day.
My brother makes killer cranberry relish, from an old family recipe.
We will have some sort of fresh green veggie, whatever is growing down at the farm, maybe kale or broccoli.
Homemade multi-grain yeast rolls, made ahead and frozen.
I haven't decided on the dessert yet. I will probably make Cook's Illustrated Pumpkin pie that has a little sweet potato in it. It my favorite pumpkin pie recipe.
I will probably make Cream of Chanterelle Soup. It looks to be a good mushroom season this year.

I try so hard not to make too much food. We don't have many at the table.

Happy soon-to-be Turkey Day everybody!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 PM

Would you mind sharing your turkey wing gravy? sounds great!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,109,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Would you mind sharing your turkey wing gravy? sounds great!
Here you go! I sub some of the stock with dry white wine. I also like to make a light roux with the flour and some of the turkey fat. It is still good even if you don't.

Make Ahead Turkey Gravy Recipe - Food.com - 104292

Old 10-27-2010, 11:03 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,940,778 times
I have no Idea

Old 10-28-2010, 07:27 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,271,278 times
This is such an old thread----looking back at my post from two years ago, I'm so happy my kid's taste buds have matured!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 AM

This year I'm passing on the traditions to the kids, now 13 & 14, old enough enough to help. Each one will be assigned a dish to prepare, just so they can remember and take the "traditions" with them, especially to buy the turkey and gravy from Luby's and the pies from Mrs. Smith. Hey, whatever works!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM

527 posts, read 865,237 times
first the antipasto- sharp cheeses, provolone, caccaterini sliced sausage, olives,prociutto, jumbo shrimp cocktail - tray of stuffed artichokes - passatelli soup (which is made from diffrnt grated cheeses, locattelli, parmasen & romano w/bread crumbs, eggs & lemon zest) then manicotti, w meatballs, bracialle & sausage (i make the gravy the night before) with that a nice mesculine salad - Then a couple of hours later We have the turkey with the normal trimmings, mashed potatoes, sausage stuffing, candied yams, stuffed mushrooms, Sauteed spinach etc. - Desserts are the usual, coconut custard, pumpkin and blueberry pies (I get them from the store, a baker I am not ) and guests always bring some desserts cannoli's pastries etc. I always like to put fresh fruit out towards the end as well - For drinks I'll have on the table Red and white wine, Gingerale, Cream soda and Pellegrino etc. Come Friday its off to the gym I go! Hi- ho - Hi-ho

Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM

10,886 posts, read 9,663,976 times
It is so bittersweet to see Lacey's/Judy's posts! Miss her!

This year it will probably just be us two. We may be going to Pigeon Forge, but if we don't, I am sure our menu will be pretty normal.

Either I will bake a ham, or we will buy a smoked boston butt
Mac & cheese
corn casserole
collards
cornbread
pecan pie w/ vanilla ice cream

(DS will be here from Germany for 2 weeks during Christmas, so I am quite sure we will be going to Mom and Dad's and having one heck of a feast! He is going to Kuwait in February.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink