U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,548,734 times

Advertisements

OMG you guys are killin me-I would do any of your menu's if we were with our kids/family.
It really stinks not being with kids and family
What I have learned is don't take anything for granted-I know we did-until being relocated 2x.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:14 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,909,935 times
I've catered in two out of our three Thanksgiving dinners but I'll probably cook again this year.

Roast turkey breast (brined in apple cider, did it two years ago and was delish)
Mashed potatoes
Roasted sweet potatoes
Broccoli/cauliflower casserole in the style of green bean casserole
Carrots
Brussels sprouts for me
Stuffing, out of a box
Gravy - may cater this in or get it from Trader Joes
Cranberry sauce, probably TJs too

Dessert never gets eaten on turkey day around here so I probably won't bother.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:40 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,607,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I am making beer can turkey for the 7th year. It is so easy and tasty. You prep it the day ahead and cook on the grill on T-day. Saves oven space, too!
This year I am getting a free range turkey hen from my neighbors. Mmm...

I do as much make-ahead as possible.
Turkey gravy from wings I make a couple weeks ahead and freeze.
I prep a pan of stuffing the day before, this year I am trying Cook's Illustrated's new stuffing recipe.
I also make a pan of mashed potato casserole two days before, baking it on T-day.
My brother makes killer cranberry relish, from an old family recipe.
We will have some sort of fresh green veggie, whatever is growing down at the farm, maybe kale or broccoli.
Homemade multi-grain yeast rolls, made ahead and frozen.
I haven't decided on the dessert yet. I will probably make Cook's Illustrated Pumpkin pie that has a little sweet potato in it. It my favorite pumpkin pie recipe.
I will probably make Cream of Chanterelle Soup. It looks to be a good mushroom season this year.

I try so hard not to make too much food. We don't have many at the table.

Happy soon-to-be Turkey Day everybody!
Hey Sizzly,
What is mashed potato casserole? Sounds interesting.
Whole Foods has nice turkey breast tenderloins so our plan is to get a couple and cook on the grill. The usual sides: cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes (or Sizzly's casserole if I can get the recipe), fresh cranberry sauce, pies and the dessert created (and named) by my kids when they were young: Strawberry Glop!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:06 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,224,013 times
DKVA come on over you aren't that far and we won't see the kids/family until Christmas, so just our friends will be here.

JackiNYC How did you guess, yes we are Italian and dh today decided he would like Prosciutto & Melon added with the first course.

We have a varied group, some are allergic to different things, Lactose intolerance and Vegans and of course meat eaters. So I make sure that there is something for everyone. I never know how many will be here to eat dinner and all are welcomed.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:03 PM

6,926 posts, read 5,576,613 times
Default Thanksgiving Menus

Here we go it's quite a menu:

Tray of fresh fruits: Bananas, grapes, plums, strawberries, apples, oranges, etc...

Tray of celery sticks, carrot sticks, green olives, cherry olives with tooth picks on the side with sour cream and Lipton Onion Soup Mix in the center just waiting to be dipped into...

Bowls of varieties of nuts placed in the living room to munch on while you watch football and the Macy's Day Thanksgiving Day Parade while the chief's are in the kitchen busy cooking.

Now for the Dinner Menu & Dessert

- Roasted Turkey stuffed/w mashed potatoes & scrambled hamburger/w onions mixed together. The outside of the turkey rubbed down with butter. Pockets of butter stuffed into sliced holes in the turkey (I know very fating, but it only happens once a year!!!)

- Golden Brown Dinner Rolls with butter on the side
- Mashed Potatoes
- Summer Squash, French Style Green Beans, Corn, Broccoli, Garden Salad
- Jelled Cranberry Sauce
- Home made gravy

Desserts

- Home made Apple Pie
- Store bought Blueberry Pie
- Pumpkin Pie
- Home made Banana Bread
- Layered dessert made of chocolate cake, sugar free chocolate pudding,
cool whip, chopped up skor bars
- Bananas layered/graham crackers & sugar free chocolate pudding

MUNGA, MUNGA EVERYONE HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM

1,387 posts, read 2,110,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
Hey Sizzly,
What is mashed potato casserole? Sounds interesting.
Whole Foods has nice turkey breast tenderloins so our plan is to get a couple and cook on the grill. The usual sides: cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes (or Sizzly's casserole if I can get the recipe), fresh cranberry sauce, pies and the dessert created (and named) by my kids when they were young: Strawberry Glop!
Hi nALgirl! Your dinner sounds yummy!
The recipe I use for Mashed Potato Casserole is from Cook's Country magazine. It is very good, and nice to prepare the day before and bake before dinner. I don't know the rules on posting recipes here. I would be happy to send it to you. It is a pdf so if you would dm me your email address I will send it to you. Or maybe you can find it online.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 6,791,360 times
YUM! Everyone's meals sound delish! Oye, I need a walk around the block just reading all of these.

Last year there were only 3 of us, so we did the chinese restaurant buffet! It was good, but odd! The worst thing was we had no leftovers, so I cooked a traditional, if not smaller, dinner the weekend after anyway.

Every year our #s seem to grow smaller, and down here we've found we don't/can't eat as much as we used to. I don't know if it's age, or the climate, but I guess that's a good thing.

I think dinner will be for 5 people. A few more or less, we'll still have plenty.

We too do the italian/american thing for every holiday.
But this year instead of the huge turkey and huge tray of lasagna, and numerious appys & desserts:

tray of various olives, marinated mushrooms, pepperoncini, salami, pepperoni, provolone & homemade breadsticks. And dad's fav.-deviled eggs.

Roasted, stuffed duck, with orange/cranberry stuffing.
Either garlic/parsley mashed potatoes, or dutchess potatoes w/cheddar cheese. There's no gravy with the duck which makes the potato choice tough. And no, I will NOT use canned gravy.
String beans with garlic and mushrooms & mashed carrots.
(I'm so glad I don't have to make all the traditional veggies I hate, and ALWAYS served on Thanksgiving because everyone else likes them; creamed pearl onions, mashed rutabaga, and bussel sprouts)
Cranberry jelly
Rather than a tray of lasagna, I'm going to make cheese filled ravioli. It's easier, faster, I can make ahead & freeze, then cook fast from frozen.
The red gravy of course, with smoked hamhocks, meatballs, chicken, and beef braciole.
Hot italian bread.
Dessert is just my cheesecake, instead of 3 pies, plus cheesecake.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,548,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
DKVA come on over you aren't that far and we won't see the kids/family until Christmas, so just our friends will be here.

JackiNYC How did you guess, yes we are Italian and dh today decided he would like Prosciutto & Melon added with the first course.

We have a varied group, some are allergic to different things, Lactose intolerance and Vegans and of course meat eaters. So I make sure that there is something for everyone. I never know how many will be here to eat dinner and all are welcomed.
Kelsie-you are so wonderful-thanks for the invite-aren't you in NC??

We are betwixt and between right now. My DH has a new Mgr who has everyone on eggs. He has fired a satellite office down south. He's keeping his cards to his chest. So we are very nervous. We have been through this 2x already-enough is enough! We wouldn't be much fun.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,931,569 times
We are having:

Turkey
cornbread stuffing
mashed potatoes
giblet gravy
squash casserole
broccoli casserole
yams with melted marshamallows
fruit salad
cherry dump salad
pumpkin pie
and maybe a chocolate pecan pie
rolls

Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,162,010 times
Thanksgiving Day with my inlaws; so, the menu will be whatever they offer.

I'll still buy a small bird or perhaps the breast and have a post T-day dinner at home. Very simple sides since my kids are picky eaters: mashed potatoes, a very small side of candied yams, steamed broccoli and stuffing. Then, for dessert, pumpkin pie, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink