Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 09:00 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Attachment 159289

My pretty cranberry sauce. Sorry for all the posts, I couldn't figure out how to attach more than one photo at once.
Ooooh, pretty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 09:09 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
With the circular lines impressed on it from the can. Yum! None of those hard little berries for me.
Hey, cutting that cylindrical, jellied mass into discs and arranging them without marring is difficult.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My son took over the cranberry sauce last year, so that's his job now. It's funny, because my in-laws had no idea one can make cranberry sauce... and until I met them, I hadn't heard of the stuff that comes in a can. So, it's a yearly battle: they show up with a can and refuse to touch the homemade stuff because it's not the familiar cylindrical shape
now that's funny, right there!!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:30 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Here's my cranberry sauce---actually, its a relish--

chop up raw cranberries coarsely in a foodpocessor
Add a cup or more sugar, along with 1/4 cup brown sugar
place in a tightly covered glass bowl or other container
leave in fridge 1-2 days, until berries start to break down into a jelly

add 1/4 can frozen, concentrated orange juice
canned, diced, drained pineapple
nutmeg---1/4---1 tsp
chopped walnuts, if desired, I usually make two, one with, one without
finely diced apple

leave in fridge at least another 1-2 days

and you have a cranberry relish

Old 10-11-2015, 08:22 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never had a complaint about the turkey, and I just roast it, without a bunch of advance preparations. Who needs a bunch of brining, herbing, bagging or anything, when there is so much work involved anyway?

In previous years, I never had any complaints about my turkey either, but everyone at my table seemed to agree that brining the bird produces superior results. Yes, it is a lot of extra work, but it transforms a very good turkey into a truly excellent one!

Old 10-11-2015, 08:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
With the circular lines impressed on it from the can. Yum! None of those hard little berries for me.
I even strain the berries out for them

Old 10-11-2015, 08:56 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
One year Chef Daughter took a look at that can-shaped cranberry jelly sitting in its glass dish in the kitchen, frowned and squashed it up. It was a real disappointment to the person who had brought it. Guess it becomes part of the tradition.

One thing it is excellent for is for making leftover turkey sandwiches.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:47 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In previous years, I never had any complaints about my turkey either, but everyone at my table seemed to agree that brining the bird produces superior results. Yes, it is a lot of extra work, but it transforms a very good turkey into a truly excellent one!

Yes, but they are at my table, and I have done all the work, so they can take it or leave it.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:38 PM

78 posts, read 77,426 times
Anybody do anything else but turkey and ham? rack of lamb? Roast?

Also most spiral sliced ham doesn't taste better to me unless I'm not buying the right brand. The bone ham shanks seem to have much more flavor.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber123 View Post
Anybody do anything else but turkey and ham? rack of lamb? Roast?

Also most spiral sliced ham doesn't taste better to me unless I'm not buying the right brand. The bone ham shanks seem to have much more flavor.
We always do BOTH a turkey and a ham. I've had really good luck with the spirals with a bone from Costco. We always end up with a largish crowd of friends, family, and Marines/Sailors from husbands work. Ham goes on the grill so I have room in the oven for the Turkey and assorted hot dishes.

I've never done anything but turkey and ham for Thanksgiving. I'm thinking of doing prime rib for Christmas though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink