U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,866,355 times

Advertisements

In honor of a great-grandmother this year we'll add a cucumber-onion-tomato-vinegar salad to the traditional lineup. The best beloved dessert has become a bourbon pecan pie, though I was looking at the comments on one of the BPP recipes at Epicurious and someone said s/he used Grand Marnier instead of bourbon. This sounds interesting but maybe a little strong. Has anyone else tried this, with Grand Marnier? Gilding the lily?

Also, looking around at pies, this looks really good, though a little complicated - has anyone ever made one of these? With the double crust? I like the thought of the tart and sweet apples.

Rum Raisin Apple Pie Recipe at Epicurious.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,421,420 times
Salad w/mandarin oranges and candied almonds
Cream of Pumpkin Soup (someone is bringing)
Shrimp Cocktail
turkey
Stuffing
mashed potatoes
corn
Sweet potato casserole
candied sweet potatoes(mom is bringing--takes up too much oven space)
cranberry sauce
home made bread (mom is bringing--takes too much time! lol!!!)
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Crumb Pie
Cheesecake
Pear tart

I think that's all of it.

Whew..I gotta go. Vegetable store next for salad stuff. Costco tomorrow. Start cooking on Wednesday with my cousin.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:04 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,421,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I am lucky enough to be invited to my son's for Tgiving...will be a big crowd and lots of fun.

We re having

Turkey, home made gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potato casserole
Home made cranberry relish
Creamed onions
Scalloped oysters
Green beans
rolls
apple pie
pumpkin pie
chocolate pecan pie
how do you do the creamed onions?

the sound great but my cousin said she spent 3 hours peeling onions last year. (she had 25 pple at her house, God only knows how many onions she had to peel)

so anyway, is there an easy way to do this?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:08 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,215,840 times
I use the Birds Eye frozen pearl onions (bags). Make a basic white sauce using white pepper-not black, and a little nutmeg. Add your onions. You could also put a little sage in.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 AM

714 posts, read 1,977,665 times
Turkey with stuffing (I am currently debating my husband, he wants to cook stuffing in the turkey, yikes)
Macaroni and cheese, my mom's recipe
Southern style mashed potatoes
Italian style green beans
Rolls

For dessert:
Apple and Pecan pie a la mode

Snacks:
Party Mix
Spiced Pecans
Cheese & crackers

Old 11-24-2008, 01:35 PM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Turkey with stuffing (I am currently debating my husband, he wants to cook stuffing in the turkey, yikes)
You could do both. I always make a lot of stuffing and can't get even half of it into the turkey. The rest gets baked in a casserole dish.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM

79 posts, read 284,376 times
Turkey & Ham
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Homeade Mac & Cheese
Grape Salad
Stuffing
Ham & Turkey Gravy
Deviled Eggs
Cranberry Relish
Black & Green Olives
Sweet pickles
Cocktail Shrimp Ring
Hawiaan Sweet Rolls
Peanut Butter Pie
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Hershey Pie

That's all Folks!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:48 PM

106 posts, read 306,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Anyone who is alone or doesn't have any place to go for Thanksgiving are more than welcomed to come to our home.

Dinner will start at 2:00 pm EST

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Chicken Tortellini soup
Homemade Ricotta Mannicotti & pork & beef meatballs & pork braciole
Crusty Italian bread
Antipasto, with sharp provelone, artichokes, prosciutto, mixed olives, roasted red peppers, arugala, red onions, garlic in a light homemade dressing

Organic Bell & Evans fresh turkey
Sausage, celery & bread stuffing
Yukon Gold mashed potatoes with roasted buttered shallots
Baby Brussel sprouts, red pearl onions, sauteed with bacon & bacon fat, then steamed in chicken broth
Steamed broccoli
Corn
Giblet gravy, fresh rolls & butter
Homemade cranberry sauce with orange & lemon zest

My guests are bringing dessert

Tiramisu
NY cheesecake
creme brule
c. chip cookies

Spiced Pumpkin coffee

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!
Let guess you couldn't be Italian (lol) where do you find good bread in nc. I've had no luck so I started making my own. I'm having dinner at my house for my big Italian family I like your menu I'll be over your house I'm sure you won't even notice I'm there, if your family is anything like mine, huge!

Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,431,905 times
I found this recipe online today. I think that I will make it on Thursday. I love both Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.

Quote:
Roast Potatoes with Brussels sprouts and cauliflower

Serves 10

1 pound small red potatoes, cut in eighths
1 pound small Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, cut in eighths
1 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 pound Brussels sprouts, split lengthwise
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. Set the oven at 425 degrees.
2. In a bowl, toss the red and yellow potatoes, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts with olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Spread the vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet in one layer.
3. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, turning once, or until the vegetables are tender.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,225,112 times
1966 lol you gave my secret away, yes I am Italian, self-published an Italian cookbook 2 years ago. If you live in North Carolina, you can find very good bread at "The Fresh Market". I can also assume that Whole Foods would have decent bread. We had been getting Anthony's Italian bread imported from NJ in Lowes Foods and were told yesterday by the store manager that they are no longer getting the bread because none of their Artesian breads were selling. My husband was so angry at the explanation he said, "so you stopped selling the bread because it was selling, what does that tell you, well we won't be shopping here anymore, we can get whatever we want at "Fresh Market".
I am very tired from prepping all of the vegetables today, but they are all done and in the food saver bags in the fridge. Tomorrow the cleaning gets done and then off into Wednesday.
You may come here and I will notice you.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink