U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,605,111 times

Advertisements

Turkey (Alton Brown's brined turkey)
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes (make ahead kind)
Gravy
Green beans sauteed with shallots and a bit of bacon
Cranberry sauce (canned, jellied--son loves this stuff)
Rolls
Apple Pie w/ice cream

There is just three of us so we don't do tons of side dishes. If I was back home it would be around 20 of us and tons of side dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:28 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,218,043 times
There's just 2 of us and we have plans to go away but just in case weather acts up I'm ready.

Turkey
Sausage,sage dressing
Creamy yams
Garlic Mashed
Creamed onions
Turnips
Peas
Cranberry/orange/walnut sauce
Pumpkin mousse pie.

If we do get away I'll be cooking Saturday-have to have the smells.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:38 PM

836 posts, read 2,924,927 times
Well the Turkey will get cooking early that morning.. while thats cooking we will be packing the rest of this house up to get moved..then stop and get rest of dinner cooked..so here is our Thanksgiving Dinner...> Turkey, Dressing, mash potato's & gravy, mac&cheese, green beans, birthday cake (daughters birthday is turkey day), and maybe a couple of pies and packing packing packing.... grrrrr

Hope everyone else has a Great Thanksgiving!!

Old 11-21-2009, 04:00 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,585,527 times
Huge family with some boyfriends/husbands tagging along. Turkey, mashed potatoes, broccoli rice casserole, green bean casserole, sweet potato gratin, cornbread dressing, cranberry relish, cranberry sauce, grandma's strawberry-nut jello salad, and rolls. Desserts are usually either pumpkin cheesecake, dutch apple pie, lemon chess pie, or pecan pie; depends mostly on what the main cook is craving. I might try shaking things up with a butterscotch pear pie recipe I saw online.

This year there's a campaign amongst a few siblings to put some fresh veggies (sans the creams, cheeses, and soups) on the table. The hard part will be figuring out what to make! Roasted brussel sprouts, Texas caviar, corn relish...

Old 11-21-2009, 06:48 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,543,727 times
Just cooking for 4.

Chicken Cheese ball for appetizer

Dinner:
Spinach salad with dried cranberries, candied walnuts, and gorgonzola
Turkey
Oyster stuffing
Sweet potatoes
Peas
Homemade yeast rolls

Dessert:
Either creme brulee, apple pie, or mini sweet potato pies

Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,633,898 times
Everyone's meals sound delicious! So far we are having ham, turkey, dressing, congealed salad, sweet potato casserole, stuffed celery (some with pimento cheese and some with cream cheese and pecan chips), squash casserole, a small relish tray with different pickles and olives, something green and rolls. Dessert will be something pecan, probably pie and some other unknown at this time items. For Baby, the kitty, Fancy Feast Medleys Turkey two times and extra kitty treats. Stacy Lee 926, I forgot about copper penny carrots. I haven't had those in a long time and am going to fix some after Thanksgiving. What is tomato pudding? Is it similar to an aspic? Tampa Karen, the Pecan Pie muffins sound delicious!

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 11-21-2009 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: I left out an item.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:58 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,726,291 times
crispy duck (crispy, sweet skin; juicy, savory meat... yum!)
corn on the cob
some kind of green (rainbow chard, kale, Chinese broccoli, whatever's good that day)
baked yams or sweet sweet potatoes
fresh cranberry sauce
green salad
fruit salad
mulled wine
fresh apple cider
pumpkin or apple pie - haven't decided yet

Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,285,245 times
Pork chops, stuffing, green bean casserole, maybe some biscuits.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:48 PM

51,671 posts, read 12,653,304 times
turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes
corn
mushrooms
glazed carrots
pumpkin pie
coconut custard pie
soda
water and maybe alittle wine.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:17 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,313,632 times
We typically do a turkey, stuffing, all the works - this year, my dh & my FIL had an argument. To "punish" my 36 year old dh, my FIL decided not to come for Thanksgiving. My kids have always had Thanksgiving with that set of Gparents and were crushed - how do you explain to a 7 year old that Grandpa is sulking and that Grandma won't stand up to him? We've been invited to many different tables, but my dh & kids are pretty upset and don't want to be with others on what used to be their favorite holiday.

So, to help take the sting out of their little broken hearts, we've let the kids plan the menu.

We're having:

Pepperoni & Sausage Pizza
Corn
Broccoli
salad
Donuts
French Fries
Chocolate Fondue with Strawberries and Pound Cake
Fruit & Veggie platter
Pumpkin Pie
Macademia Nut Cream Pie

It will certainly be an interesting meal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink