Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,055 times

Advertisements

I had to tell everyone:

Yesterday (Sunday), I made my turkey. When it was done, I strained the drippings and made my gravy. The turkey was cool enough to handle by that time so I lopped off each breast and froze them. Same with the legs. The rest of the turkey was pulled off the bones and portioned into one pound servings and froze those, except what I kept out to eat.

I had a variety of veggies roasting in the oven in the meantime. When they were done, they all went into a massive pot, along with the entire turkey carcass (still hate that word) and inedible pieces. I made two gallons of rich turkey stock! I'm SO glad I made the stock the same day because I would not have felt like doing it today or tomorrow!

Useless Turkey Trivia Fact: Did you know that when you simmer a whole turkey carcass (ew!) for six hours, and everything falls off the bones, that those bones all fit into an empty one QUART ice cream container?! Seriously! I couldn't believe it! Then again, this isn't exactly "useless." You can use it as an excuse to buy and eat a quart of ice cream! (My ice cream had a joke on the box! It said, "Serves 6." ROFL!!! I've yet to meet those other five people!)

So, what am I going to do on Thanksgiving Day? Simple. I'm staying in my jammies and spending the day with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. Relaxing, fun, peaceful... Don't worry. I won't starve. I'm making three different flavors of popcorn (one for each movie of my triple feature): Curried Popcorn, Apple Pie Popcorn and Pumpkin Pie Popcorn! Wanna come? Bring your own jammies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Open faced sandwiches!!!!

Mmm.. - YouTube

Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have tried the dressing prepared outside of Ms or Mr Turkey, I just don't think it picks up the flavor as well.
I have to agree with you on the taste. Stuffing from the cavity opposed to outside the bird doesn't have quite the same flavor. It works but it's not quite the same.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
I have found through many years of cooking Thanksgiving dinners, that dressing/stuffing cooked inside the bird makes the roasting time longer, ergo, more likely to dry out the turkey.

When I began making the Stuffin' Muffins, everyone seemed to love them because they all got some of the crunchy stuff. It was rare that I had any leftovers (I make particularly good stuffing) so I had to double up on the recipe in order to have some to eat later in the week and some to freeze for later in the year consumption.

It comes down to different strokes...

Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Turkey sandwiches and then turkey pot pie. No, its not a turkey pie with a crust. Its the turkey and broth cooked with celery and potatoes and flat squares of egg noodle dough somewhat similar to dumplings are cooked with it.
Add cole slaw or pepper cabbage, maybe some apple sauce on the side and rolls. yum.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,138 times
I'll eat the Thanksgiving leftovers until Sunday. Roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing are my favorites. I'll eat my fill to last me until next Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Default Turkey Leftovers!

I was surprised to find that many of my friends are not familiar with Turkey Tetrazzini. I have been making versions of the recipe for many years.

I thought folks might enjoy this crockpot version - put it on, walk away . . . dinner is served. I am going to be adding cranberry-orange relish and leftover sweet potato casserole to my tetrazzini tonight.

This particular recipe has substitutions that I have used in the past, i.e., I have chopped up green bell pepper as a substitute for the pimiento and used dehydrated onions in place of the fresh chopped onions. Also, I have used celery soup in place of the chicken soup.

Hope this simplifies dinner tonight for someone else out there with leftover turkey.

Crockpot Turkey Tetrazzini | Carolina Lifestyles

Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Default Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas

What are your favorite ideas and/or recipes for Thanksgiving leftovers?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
While I will have some leftovers this year, they won’t be like a full turkey dinner type . I am sure we will simply eat leftover roast chicken, perhaps in sandwiches, mashed potatoes and Waldiorf salad.

When I do the big turkey dinner, I send turkey and dressing home with guests. And we eat warmed up turkey with leftover gravy and dressing, and then turkey sandwiches, and then turkey stir fry, and then the carcass will go into the Instant Pot to make turkey broth.

After a few days any remaining leftovers will be thrown out.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
I make turkey salad with the dark meat and some homemade mayo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes