Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 06:39 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times

Advertisements

I would like to post a question for those who love the smell of
apples and oranges during the Holidays
whether in a fruit bowl, fruit compote
Jams
Relishes
Cakes and pies
Salads
Could someone share some the the best orange and apple recipes
or decorative ideas for the Festive tables across America and wherever else
I just love the aroma of mulled apple cider with orange slices
Apples and Oranges
I'm so excited
i'll start just a plain orange cold or at room temperature with an old fashioned
stick of peppermint candy, stuck down through the middle
a wonderful treat for the kids "big kids'
and grandma's "Ambrosia Recipe"
Looking forward to any ideas and recipes
Thanks
Happy Holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Ok, I'll start............

I like making slow cooker Apple Butter. I like placing cloves in oranges and placing them in rooms around the house. I like baking a cored apple in the oven with butter and brown sugar in the middle.

Next......

Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

I like making slow cooker Apple Butter. I like placing cloves in oranges and placing them in rooms around the house. I like baking a cored apple in the oven with butter and brown sugar in the middle.

Next......
When I have orange, tangerine peel I simmer them in a small pot on the back of the stove, maybe with a little cinnamon.

I like to make an orange pomander too. A couple of years I took the time to stick in the cloves in patterns and hang them up with a ribbon.

Apple sauce, apple pie, apple anything cooking. If you slice them thinly and put them in Fruit Fresh you can slow oven dry them. I've put them on a small circular wreath hoop and hung them up for decoration.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:27 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Our old-fashioned favorite is home-made applesauce. We spice it to taste like apple pie filling, and there is no better way to fill the house with heavenly aromas than a pot full of applesauce.

Peel, core and roughly cut up 8 or so apples. We prefer a variety that doesn't immediately turn to mush when cooked; Cortlands work well, so do Granny Smiths and Greenlings. If you like applesauce with minimal chunks, try MacIntosh.

Put your peeled, cored and cut-up apples in a large saucepan. Add about 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar, depending on how sweet you like things and how sweet or tart your apples are. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to taste; figure 1 tsp each cinn & nutmeg, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cloves. Stir to combine. Cover, and heat over a low/medium flame. Simmer until the apples cook down into a nice mush, stirring occasionally.

This is wonderful served hot with roast pork. Put a spoonful or two of hot applesauce over vanilla ice cream; it's like apple pie a la mode without the crust. It's heavenly spread on toast in the morning. And it's good by the spoonful cold right out of the fridge.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

Next......

Oh My Goodness
I can smell the aroma now,
and the apple butter, on toasted bread
I want to go and light the fireplace right now, maybe tomorrow;
certainly Thanksgiving
This is why i love the fall and Holidays so much, it's comforting;
thanks for the oranges and cloves ideas, I've seen them on t.v. but never
really considered making them;
So do i just stick cloves in the orange or is there other steps that I may take?

thanks for the recipes !!
mabye before Christmas we can have an apple contest
Hmmmm,...... I'm not quite sure how we could pull it off, but I'm anticipating
a lot of contestants
And we could post a picture of it here in an avatar? ( I don't know how to do avatars yet)
but I will be taking the course.
I'm open for suggestions?
Yum Yum

I'll also take the orange peel and simmer it in a potpourri pot
or even make a strong tea out of it , the oils are so fragrant with cinnamon

Last edited by Beretta; 11-23-2008 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
On the oranges with cloves........

yes, you just take whole cloves (they have the stems on them) and push them in the orange in any design you want.

This was a great activity with my children when they were smaller. I would even draw dots on the orange with a thin Sharpie and they would push them in on the dots or they would do them random.

I like the contrast of the brown and the orange. Place those in a bowl that is lined with magnolia leaves (I am in the south if you can't tell!) and it looks so pretty. Others I place in glass bowls in various places around the house. All pretty and all providing a great aroma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink