Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:34 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times

Advertisements

So, how did the big dinner go for you this year? Did you try out something new? Where did you hear about it? How did it turn out? Was it something that you'll try again? Why, or why not?

Let's share what worked and what didn't, and brainstorm ways we can make the next big meal even better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
We made a change in cooking the turkey this year. I typically fry it outside and have been for the last 7 years, this year my wife wanted to cook it in the oven which I agreed to let her try, and I got to admit she did a great job.

This turkey was as moist as any of my fried turkeys without the skin being too crispy. The meat was practically falling off the breastbone when I cut the slices and was delicious. What surprised both of us was that the turkey was a fresh turkey at 13.41 pounds and in the oven in our new home, it took exactly 2.5 hours to cook at 350. My memories growing up were of my father getting up at 4 in the morning and cooking the turkey all day so it was as dry and bland. The pop-up timer had popped and then we scrambled to make the side dishes which were great.

Looks like I may be selling the turkey fryer next Spring.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I hope to get an update on this radio show I listen to the lady who called wanted to know if thawing the turkey on the kitchen counter was ok. Some people should never be allowed to cook ever. What part of the brain makes you think thawing a meat on the counter at room temperature would be ok. I hope she got another bird or she going to have sick family from all that bacteria.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:12 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
DH and I are visiting the DIL for Thanksgiving. I proceeded to get the "frow-ups" after dinner last night, so DH and DIL cooked everything today as I gave directions from an easy chair. Our turkey also got done early and we had to scramble to get the sides done.
I ate about 2 bitesf everything, and so far so good. All and all, getting out of making the dinner was pretty nice, despite chills, barf and other digestive trouble.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:14 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I hope to get an update on this radio show I listen to the lady who called wanted to know if thawing the turkey on the kitchen counter was ok. Some people should never be allowed to cook ever. What part of the brain makes you think thawing a meat on the counter at room temperature would be ok. I hope she got another bird or she going to have sick family from all that bacteria.
Actually, I've thawed my turkey out of the fridge (put it back in at night) for about 40 years and haven't killed anyone yet.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,943 times
I wouldn't change what I did this year. It was just what we needed. Not too many leftovers either. Just enough for a potpie and some sandwiches.

Hmmm maybe I would make a 2nd pumpkin pie next year though. My kids like it for breakfast the next day.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:43 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
I buy fresh eggs from a local Amish farmer so I bought them about a month ago to make deviled eggs. They were a bear to peel still! Next time I guess I will buy store bought for deviled eggs. I did salvage about 6 out of the ones I hard boiled to make some but the rest were chopped up in macaroni salad.

I will also listen to my kids next year when they tell me we don't need a 19 lb bird! My bottom less pit guys have finally starting having a bottom.

All in all I don't think I would change anything for next year and we have plenty of leftovers so come on over if ya all feel hungry!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:01 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,007 times
Everything turned out good, I think. We ate early because my DD had to go to work at the movie theater. Made her an extra chocolate mousse pie to take to work with her. Her boss's bringing turkey dinner for those who are working. So she'll be eating her second dinner by now. Of course we had way too much foods, but it's okay. We like left overs from Thanks Giving dinner. I am making turkey noodle soup in my pressure cooker right now. We'll be eating that with another piece of pie tonight...

Old 11-27-2008, 07:15 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Hmmmm.... Let's see.

All in all it was a good meal.

We had a couple of additions to the menu, care of my brother's partner, he brought stuffed shrimp & stuffed mushrooms. While I love these, we have never bothered with hot appetizers (that were not served as a course of the main meal) becuase there is too much going on w/the oven. They were delicious, then he also brought pumpkin bars which were divine and a very nice stuffing w/cranberries. He did a lot of work for our dinner which was great for me.

I made an apple crumb pie this year, which was new but for me too much lemon in the filling (1/4 cup), next year if I made it again I would cut that down or add sugar. Otherwise it was good. Everyone else liked it but all I could taste was lemon. Plus it would have been better warm. Come to think of it, I wonder if I could have premade it and then baked it during dinner.....

I also made a Pear Tart. Wasn't really feeling it after I made it, but that was actually everyone's favorite. The cakey part was almost like shortbread on the outer edges, and moist inside. plus cooked pear. It was great and almost any fruit could have been used.

We had TONS of leftovers, so everyone got to take food home (in chinese food containers I got from the flea market----PERFECT!). I like to have plenty of leftovers to share.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here!!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
It was a success, I think. We made a 25-pound bird because we like lots of leftovers, and we sure got 'em. The bird was a little bit drier than I would have preferred, because one family group with small children arrived considerably later than they had planned, but it was still a good one. The spouse's gravy was spectacular as always, as was his home-made bread: wonderfully fine-grained and richly flavored.

We did try a couple of new things this year.

I took the suggestions of several CD regulars who said that a crockpot was a good way to keep mashed potatoes hot while other prep work is being done, and it worked very well. Thanks for the idea! The potatoes stayed hot, didn't get dried out and they all disappeared.

I also tried something fun for the little ones. We had planned three varieties of pie (pumpkin, Dutch apple and fudge-pecan) and I made mini-pies of all three types. I used a non-stick cupcake pan, lined the cups with pie crust, then put about three tablespoons-full of filling in each one. It was quite successful, though a lot easier with the pumpkin and fudge-pecan than with the apple. Those apple slices had to be cut up and individually placed in those little cups to fit, and they still sank down quite a bit when I baked them. The kids loved them, though, and I think the parents appreciated the chance to limit their sugar intake.

The fraternity boy did the washing-up (and that's no small feat, as we don't have a dishwasher) and the daughter's sig-other dried and put away. Good lads, and I was very grateful for their help.

Daughter took a plate full of dinner and a second plate full of pie and bread to a friend who had to work from 1 to 10 tonight, poor kid. We sent leftovers home with my sis and bro-in-law and their youngsters, and more leftovers home with daughter and sig-other, and we still have at least three or four freezer bags full of turkey. Mmmm, what a wonderful problem!

We ended the evening with a couple of rounds of Balderdash, one of our favorite games, as it combines odd and esoteric vocabulary words with wonderful opportunities for creative bluffing. As I had suspected, the daughter's sig-other proved a natural at it, and his daughter did quite well also. Lots of hilarity all the way around, and a wonderful conclusion to a full and richly satisfying feast day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink