U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 08:27 PM

7,627 posts, read 12,527,777 times

Advertisements

I have come up with countless ideas to make the planning/shopping and preparing dinners easier. Most never really work..just seem like they would.
In my house I am the only one that does any meal planning,grocery shopping or cooking. Trying to get help is useless and frustrating. Once
I decided to throw the worst excuses for dinner on the table night after night. I though when they complained I could mention that we need to share the job some. No one ever complained.

My latest idea may actually work.. I am thinking about selecting about 10
easy and good recipes and cooking every other night with enough for
2 nights. That would give me time every other night to work on laundry and other stuff.

Does anyone else do this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,418,248 times
I like finding stuff that can be recycled the next night. Chicken that can be taken apart and used the next night for whatever. I might also make a bunch of stuff on one day and freeze it so that it can be reheated some other day.

My child is too young at the moment but I believe that I have read here (or I dreamed it) that there are meals assigned to other family members. Like Tuesday this child is to cook dinner.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:57 PM

My first night of my new plan.
I made 2 large chicken pot pies.
It is a great feeling knowing dinner is already made for tomorrow night.
I am going to try to do some cleaning and laundry tomorrow night
so that I won't have as much cleaning to do Sat.
I found 12 favorite recipes to double for 3 each week of the month
Each week I'll make a chicken , beef and pasta dish.
and then we will pick up subs or eat out one night of the week.
I'll post my plan if anyone is interested...but I know this
struggle has been a personal one.

Menu planning seems to come so easy for alot of people.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,036,109 times
i often make a couple of different things at once. i also make enough for more than 1 meal. then i just switch them up so we dont have the same thing twice in a row.
i also love making soups and sauces and freezing them. in the morning i take one out and when its time, i warm it and add to pasta.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:16 PM

5,386 posts, read 5,124,106 times
Kelly, our Sam's club sells a 4-5 lb, fully cooked Rot. chicken for less than $5.00. We get 2 meals out of it plus a couple of sandwiches, carcass is used for soup. I made turkey noodle soup the other day and froze 5 containers. The crockpot also frees up a lot of time. I make spaghetti sauce with meatballs and sausage once a month, put in containers and freeze. If I can help with any recipes just pm me.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM

5,061 posts, read 12,370,128 times
I'm the only "cook" in the family. Most of the time, I don't mind whipping up dinner. When I feel like taking a break, we go out to eat! Simple and easy!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement and ideas.
We used to go out 2-3 times per week but our budget is tight right now so we aren't doing that for now.
Tonight was night 2 of my plan. I ended up getting home at
6:30 and it was so great to know dinner was already made
from last night.
The plan was to clean some from 5 to 6 but I ended up
driving my son to an activity. The family wasn't thrilled
that we had left overs but I was sure loving that dinner was
already cooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink