U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 AM

24,671 posts, read 54,157,051 times

Advertisements

^^^ Well Good Morning, Scrooge, and Happy Holidays to you too!

I gifted friends this year with bottles of my homemade hot sauce; banana bread, avocanana bread and banana date bread (the bananas and avocados from my yard); and homemade herb bread (herbs from the yard). Everyone's been genuinely thrilled and it never even crossed my mind that a situation such as you describe would come about. I in turn have received some rooted cuttings of herbs I didn't have, and some homemade citrus salad dressing. Every time I see them/use them I'm reminded of the friends who took the time and trouble to put them together - what could be a greater gift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 AM

5,657 posts, read 5,336,341 times
This stuff is fine and dandy for gifts to family and friends. But don't leave homemade good as a Christmas 'tip' for your service people (mail, garbage, dog walkers, cleaning people, etc.). They should always get money.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 AM

117,926 posts, read 13,316,775 times
Every year for Christmas I send ,,Baumkuchen'' and Christmas baking over seas....yes it is expensive...but it is once a year and also my family members and my close friends love it. I have been doing this for a very long time. Even locally here we give each other home baked or cooked gifts.Doing it yourself is much better than bought stuff! Beside that I do all my gifts by hand from pottery to art work and so on...

Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 AM

8 posts, read 18,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ Well Good Morning, Scrooge, and Happy Holidays to you too!

I gifted friends this year with bottles of my homemade hot sauce; banana bread, avocanana bread and banana date bread (the bananas and avocados from my yard); and homemade herb bread (herbs from the yard). Everyone's been genuinely thrilled and it never even crossed my mind that a situation such as you describe would come about. I in turn have received some rooted cuttings of herbs I didn't have, and some homemade citrus salad dressing. Every time I see them/use them I'm reminded of the friends who took the time and trouble to put them together - what could be a greater gift?
you wouldn't say that to me if you could see all the food gifts, Ive seen at people houses that were just shoved to the back of the fridge or pantry, left there to dry out, rot or get petrified.One example being: I work for someone who receives lots of food gifts and the first thing he does is shove them into the freezer for eternity. some are decades old. I'm sorry but this is not gonna be my time, effort and money. It can be yours if you like, and how can you be sure your gifts are even eaten? Ive also cleaned house for friends who have loads of well meaning gift baskets of generic beauty products that were given to them at Christmas time over they years, all of them unused and delegated to the trash by request. Tell me that this isn't discouraging. Unless your recivers are well mannered enough to actually say to you, "I Enjoyed your cookies/bread/coco in a jar, please make some again for us next year,most wont tell you where the gift actually ended up, and You have NO idea where your time and effort end up do you. so smart one? I may seem like a scrooge to you,but from this Christmas forward, food gifts will be for those who are appreciative and well mannered enough to acknowledge it later on. Also, this is a forum to comment on the "good or bad idea" of it but it seems that you only want to hear whats good. read the heading again.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 AM

693 posts, read 731,889 times
Agree with rainyday. When I receive a food gift, I always make sure I tell the giver how thankful I am. But 99% of the time, the gift sits until I throw it away. I only eat things from people I know are better cooks than me. Some people think their food is amazing, but it really isn't.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 AM

8 posts, read 18,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
Agree with rainyday. When I receive a food gift, I always make sure I tell the giver how thankful I am. But 99% of the time, the gift sits until I throw it away. I only eat things from people I know are better cooks than me. Some people think their food is amazing, but it really isn't.
Thank you wadejay. I love to cook for people and I am making butter cookies this year but only for people I am absolutely sure will actually eat them. about 3 total. Have a wonderful holiday and ha happy new year.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 AM

30,653 posts, read 56,028,683 times
My in-laws were fighting over my home-canned applesauces, salsas, chutneys and jams yesterday!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 AM

24,671 posts, read 54,157,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydaywoman43 View Post

1. It can be yours if you like, and how can you be sure your gifts are even eaten?

2. Unless your recivers are well mannered enough to actually say to you, "I Enjoyed your cookies/bread/coco in a jar, please make some again for us next year,most wont tell you where the gift actually ended up, and You have NO idea where your time and effort end up do you. so smart one?

3. Also, this is a forum to comment on the "good or bad idea" of it but it seems that you only want to hear whats good. read the heading again.
1. Because I've never yet received anything but hugely positive feedback. I owned and operated my own restaurant for 16 years until a year ago and I know my friends' particular tastes. Each gift is individually geared to the recipient.

2. See above, "smart one".

3. I know what a forum is and and I responded to the title of the thread and to your post. Yes, in my particular frame of reference and from my own experience, I do think that homemade Christmas food gifts are a good idea and fully appreciate that many disagree for various reasons.

I wish you happy holidays and do hope that your disposition improves in the new year!

Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 AM

21,751 posts, read 20,797,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydaywoman43 View Post
Thank you wadejay. I love to cook for people and I am making butter cookies this year but only for people I am absolutely sure will actually eat them. about 3 total. Have a wonderful holiday and ha happy new year.
I had no idea. I've never received so many food gifts that I just shoved them in the back of the refrigerator or freezer to dessicate. They were at least good and most were delicious. Live and learn.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 AM

21,828 posts, read 12,553,798 times
My oldest sister and I stopped buying gifts for one another and the family years ago so we started making gifts instead. We both bake. She makes preserves/jams, spaghetti sauce and bread and butter pickles. To me it is a lot easier to buy a gift rather than make a gift. I hope that everyone who receives my gifts feel the love that is included - otherwise I wouldn't spend weeks in the kitchen.

This year I have made:

thumbprint cookies with her homemade raspberry jam
s'more bar
matzo toffee
spritz cookies
pecan lace cookies
rice krispy treats
banana bread
Kettle mushroom popcorn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink