U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 PM

11 posts, read 5,980 times
What I like to do to pork shoulder (or chops or roasts) is cut up in bite sized pieces and fry lightly with a lot of garlic and onion. I then make a gravy for it (letting the pork simmer in the gravy for a half hour or so) and serve over rice. Its a quick and easy dish that's a lot like chipped beef on toast (though I prefer the rice or sometimes potatoes).
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Status: "You cant have any pudding if you dont eat you meat" (set 7 days ago)

10,739 posts, read 10,588,028 times
the op was 5 years ago, i hope she used the pork shoulder by now!

you can do alot with a pork shoulder

pulled pork
pork roast
pork ribs
ground pork
sausage
pork steaks
pork stew/kabobs
pork tips (cut in chunks, marinate and grill)
stir-fry
smoke in a smoker

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 AM

5,818 posts, read 5,319,280 times
Char sui (chinese BBQ pork) is my favorite.

Pork with Green Chile is my husband's favorite. I often use the slow cooker for this one, and have substituted pork butt for the country ribs easily.

Machaca

Carnita's, if you've got lots of time and patience (I don't - that's one of the things I go out to dinner to eat)

Carne Adovado

Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 12 days ago)

48,937 posts, read 40,328,366 times
I too really hope, if she hasn't used it she has thrown it out!!!!

Now: what do I do with Pork shoulder or Pork Butt;

I cut it into pieces and make braised pork. I got the recipe from Melissa on the Food Network. Of course I do put my own spin on it...

I smoke it sometimes, No, not like a cigarette, on the smoker, with a rub.

I simply boil it for several hours: I could eat the entire piece, regardless how big it is my myself, but that would not make my doctor very happy. So, I use it for sandwiches, tacos, burritos and when I feel really ambitious, I make home made tamales. Ok, so I have only made them once since we left NM, but I used to make them all the time around the holidays and freeze them.

And last but not least, sticking one in the crock pot works as well as just putting on the stove. I will add the usual seasoning, carrots, celery, all that garbage and use for stock. OK, I know, broth, whatever.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 PM

1,502 posts, read 664,762 times
Default What to do with smoked Pork shoulder other then pulled pork?

Our local Hispanic market has smoked pork shoulder on sale and while most Cubans would treats this as a ham and just slice and fry, I would like to have some other ideas.

Since it is just three of us there would be a lot of left overs if I heat it in the oven and shred it, so I am working out different recipes in my head but I would love any recipes you all use for left over smoked pork shoulder.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 PM

usually pork butt is used for pulled pork,

a smoked shoulder picnic is different than a pork butt, though they are close together

most folks up this way will simmer this for a boiled dinner,,,cook similar to a pot roast ... throw in veggies.. the ham will fall off the bone,,,
the pea soup folks would also make a pea soup

a whole smoked shoulder is usually around 7-10lbs

you can ask them to cut it in half....depending on how many servings you cook at once

Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 PM

1,502 posts, read 664,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
usually pork butt is used for pulled pork,

a smoked shoulder picnic is different than a pork butt, though they are close together

most folks up this way will simmer this for a boiled dinner,,,cook similar to a pot roast ... throw in veggies.. the ham will fall off the bone,,,
the pea soup folks would also make a pea soup

a whole smoked shoulder is usually around 7-10lbs

you can ask them to cut it in half....depending on how many servings you cook at once
I got the smallest I could find and that WAS 10lbs! But the sale is pretty good for Miami 1.48 a lb. so might consider making several meals out of it. My google search did bring up a boiled dinner and also split pea soup. I am also thinking of a Mac and cheese casserole with some of it. Of course there are always tacos and some of my pork and rice dishes.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I got the smallest I could find and that WAS 10lbs! But the sale is pretty good for Miami 1.48 a lb. so might consider making several meals out of it. My google search did bring up a boiled dinner and also split pea soup. I am also thinking of a Mac and cheese casserole with some of it. Of course there are always tacos and some of my pork and rice dishes.
1.48 is a decent price

you do have the option of asking them to cut this in half (on the saw)
most butcher shops will do this- supermarkets/box stores will no longer do this

this will give you 2-5lbers

you could freeze half..

try the boiled dinner if you havent tried it before-think you will like it..

Old 02-07-2014, 06:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 1,727,860 times
I wonder if you could mince some of it and make a larb with it (a Thai dish). I think it would be worth a try.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 PM

3,652 posts, read 2,929,240 times
I love it topping a baked potato, with butter, sour cream, and some bbq sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink