U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:32 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,470,467 times

Advertisements

We have to bring in a snack for my daughter's class once a month. The first month I remembered at the last minute and grabbed a box of teddy cookies (I know, but it was all I could think of). The second we bought 3 boxes of cereal and divided it up (daughter helped me) into nice size servings. Last month, I forgot b/c I was so busy . This month (next week) I found I could get a GREAT deal on what should be a very nice snack - sweet enough and hearty enough to stave off some of the hunger). Baby carrots, sliced oranges, and 1/2 bagel with cream cheese for only $11 total for a class of 20.

I really want to make sure they're filled up on my day b/c they have to eat lunch at 10:15! So by snack time (around 2) they're starving. Any ideas (preferably cheap) and something that doesn't involve baking (which I hate) would be great.

Last edited by NicoleJ; 12-06-2008 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:59 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,638,476 times
Hmmm. Kindergarteners, and you don't enjoy baking... that eliminates a lot of my ideas from the get-go, but I'll give it a shot.

First of all, does the school (or the teacher) have any restrictions about what may or may not be brought in? Districts all across Wisconsin are outlawing any kind of snack from home that includes sugar. Some youngsters have life-threatening allergies to some very common foodstuffs, and as a result, things like peanut butter are banned from some classrooms.

If there are no food restrictions and no allergies among the youngsters, I'd suggest "bugs on a log" for one day. Take celery sticks about 4" or 5" long and fill them with peanut butter, then put raisins in a row on top of the peanut butter, and you're ready. The boys in particular will get a kick out of the name.

Cheese is another good kid food; string cheese is very popular here in Wisconsin, though I don't know how true that is in other parts of the country. Cheese slices cut into shapes with a cookie-cutter can be a fun treat, and if you add some crackers for a bit of carbohydrate, would make a fine snack.

Cut up apples into wedges and put a dab of peanut butter on each wedge: fruit and protein all in one.

Yogurt, maybe? Jell-O cubes? Not sure that the teacher would welcome such messy things, though.

I'll think more on it, and if I have any brain drizzles (that's a small brainstorm) I'll come back and post them. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,604,541 times
Cheese and crackers sound great.

I might do yogurt w/some granola or sunflower seeds given to each kid to mix in.

how elaborate does the snack have to be usually? The one you mentioned is pretty big, but I guess that is because of the early lunch you talked about.

And how long do they have to eat it?

If it were me I would do the baby carrots or sliced apples, grapes, bananas, whole grain crackers w/peanut butter or cheese spread, pretzels, animal crackers, applesauce cups or mixed fruit cups, drinkable yogurts (danimals).

the yogurts you can get at a wholesale club for about $8 and would be enough for the class.

If they all eat meat, how bout mini mini meatballs (cold or heated just prior to going to school), rolled cold cuts and cheese, heck, deli sandwiches cut into quarters---triangles, cucumber sandwiches, celery w/peanut butter,
pita bread w/nutella.

Target sells mini boxes of raisins, which are good for children of course.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:20 AM

13,327 posts, read 30,297,812 times
You've already received great ideas, but may I just mention that snacks involving yogurt, such as drinkable Danimals or that wretched Gogurt, can sometimes be spilled, thus creating a horrid mess in the classroom?

I know you don't want to bake, but if you *did* get ambitious, you could bake up a whole bunch of those little mini-muffins and keep some on hand in the freezer.

I always thought the aforementioned string cheese, paired with grapes was a nice combo and the kids seemed to actually like it.

Ditto the Pepperidge Farm Goldfish (they especially loved the pizza ones).

You can make pretzels with refrigerated breadstick dough. (Pillsbury.)

Old 12-07-2008, 08:07 AM

wow, great ideas.

There are no allergies in her class, thank goodness. The teacher likes for them to try all kinds of things. I don't know how long they have, but my daughter (who can't tell time yet) says they usually eat while they're working.

I love the sandwich idea and the celery with peanut butter. ditto the crackers and peanut butter and muffins. I wonder if my 9 year old would be willing to make those? (seriously, I don't even like baking the cookies that you just put from the fridge onto the cookie sheet, lol). The goldfish is a good idea.

mommytotwo, the snacks don't HAVE to be substantial, but they're starving by 2, so I like for them to be able to be full. Plus, I have this thing about not knowing how many of the kids are going home to nothing to eat, and so I always hope they get a little full when I bring in dd's snack.

No drinks allowed. Only water that they bring in bottles for.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 PM

3,588 posts, read 683,145 times
Snacks sometimes remind me of appetizers... Like pin wheels. Tortilla spread with cream cheese, thin sliced sandwich meat, rolled up, and sliced into pin wheels. Olives are a treat and kiddos love'em. What about those minnie sausages? Throw them in a crock pot with bbq sauce.... Even an italianloaf of bread could be turned into a hoagie (cheese and meat) cut into small portions when serveing. Hope this might give ya some ideas Nicole J

Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM

14,097 posts, read 14,432,760 times
Make your own mix. Buy either peanuts or almonds, M&Ms, and raisins. Read the label and measure out 1 serving size of each of the above ingredients into snack bags. The protein and saltiness of the nuts offsets the natural sugar of the M&Ms and raisins. Once the sugar has been digested they'll still have the nuts inside them slowly digesting to help continue that full feeling. Good thing about the above is you can go with generic brands to save on cash.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 64,818 times
How about Jello.. or graham crackers with peanut butter spread on them.. some fruits.. or maybe finger sandwiches.. throw in a cookie ..
just ideas.. good luck

Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski.bunny View Post
How about Jello.. or graham crackers with peanut butter spread on them.. some fruits.. or maybe finger sandwiches.. throw in a cookie ..
just ideas.. good luck
that reminds me of the graham cracker sandwiches my mom used to make me when she made cakes - w/ frosting inside instead of peanut butter. YUM.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 AM

414 posts, read 1,105,730 times
I used to teach Sunday school and the kids used to love pigs in a blanket ( they didn't even care if they were lukewarm or cold). I made them with pillsbury croissaints (cut in half) and a 1/4 of a hot dog. I also ditto the homemade trail mix. Raisins, M&Ms, Chex, pretzels, peanuts, almonds, etc. You're very lucky not to have to deal with peanut allergies! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink