Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Avoid the bread and rolls. Stay away from Alfredo and other heavy white sauces. Eat salads, seafoods, and red sauce dishes like spaghettin and rigatoni.
But what you have singled out to avoid is what I love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,488 times
Jaxson

If you come to Italy and you want eat at Italian restaurant, you can order:

1 - appetizer
2 - first dish
3 - second dish
4 - dessert
5 - coffee and liqueur

The service is at the table and no self service.

As appetizer, we use order a seafood or sliced cold meat.
First dish, we can order: pasta or rice
Second dish: meat or fish
dessert
coffee and if you want, liqueur.

If you come to eat pizza...
you can take appetizer,
pizza
dessert
coffee

In almost Italian restaurant, you find tissue tablecloth and bread-sticks.
When you order the second dish, waiter bring you some bread.

The paper tablecloth is only in some restaurant/pizzerie or only in American restaurant.

have a nice day

Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Thanks for your reply minnie I appreciate it. Out of repping powers for now. We are very lacking in my area of any real nice non chain restaurants sadly. Before this thread I thought pasta was the big part of the meal in Italy too. Thanks for sharing!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Thanks for your reply minnie I appreciate it. Out of repping powers for now. We are very lacking in my area of any real nice non chain restaurants sadly. Before this thread I thought pasta was the big part of the meal in Italy too. Thanks for sharing!
ciao Jaxson!

Oh no..pasta isn't the big part of the meal. Pasta is only a typical Italian dish.

if you want, you can eat only pasta with good topping, for example, pasta with ragù or with pesto etc...

At restaurant, we usually take all dishes or some combinations:
appetizer,
second dish
dessert

or
fist
second
dessert

or
appetizer
first
dessert

etc...

my preferences are for:

appetizer
pizza
dessert

Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It might be for you, but what's wrong with it being a main dish? Nothing better. I'd take a good penne rigate puttanesca or gnocchi in basil pesto any day over a steak.

Rice can be a main dish too, e.g. biryani.

I'm more of a protein guy than a carb guy. I don't like to fill up on carbs. One reason I've been able to stay thin in my middle age. YMMV.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
When I first started to date him I went to a family party at his aunts house (he is Italian) and they came out first thing with this SLAB of lasagna... so I ate it and the whole time he is telling me not to finish it. I finish it... and next thing ya know an old Italian aunt puts another slab in front of me... and I nearly croak.... but then the dishes are cleared and then DINNER comes out! Salad wasnt even next!!!! I was shocked... I had no clue that was just one of the COURSES!!!!! It was my first lesson on the courses of Italian meals.....

Ha! You must have been eating at my family's. You can even say you don't want any, and they pretend not to hear you and it shows up on your plate anyway. Eat it. Trust me.

Especially on holidays or a big Sunday dinner. Italians can spend all day/night at the table continously eating and talking (all at once BTW). You learned a BIG lesson. When you think you've just finished dinner, the dinner comes out. And then there is dessert.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:45 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm more of a protein guy than a carb guy. I don't like to fill up on carbs. One reason I've been able to stay thin in my middle age. YMMV.
Not me. I'm a carbaholic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink