U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,122,715 times

Advertisements

the Chinese do when I do a take-out. I can't seem to get the texture the same. I tried pressing, freezing and deep frying. Any feedback? I normally get Tofu and Broccoli, it's so good. My wife is a picky eater, but she loves Tofu and it's good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,025,724 times
There are several small, independent food companies where I live. Luckily, one of them makes tofu (baked, garlic, herb, etc.) which is very good. The best tofu I've ever had is handmade Nigari - sorry, I don't remember the brand name.

Like anything else, if you don't use superior ingredients, you just will not get the true flavor of food at its best. This link shows diff. kinds of tofu and how to prepare it correctly.

What is Tofu

Old 12-15-2008, 01:00 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,540,981 times
When you get it, is the tofu creamy and silky, sort of melt in your mouth? Or is is more of a chewy, crispy, meat-like consistency?

To get the creamy texture, get a regular (medium) firmness tofu, cut into cubes, and blanch in boiling water for a few minutes before you toss it with the sauce.

For the chewy stuff, I'm sure you could make it at home, but I use this stuff: Superior Tofu Blog Archive Stew Style Fried Tofu

Easy to get from any asian market. Also, you can always ask fellow shoppers at the asian market...most of the time they think it's really cool (or hilarious) you're trying to cook Chinese food at home and are more than willing to help. I've seen plenty of people go in with a recipe and get suggestions from people who've been cooking this stuff all their life.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 18,944 times
you can buy Mitoku Nigari salt(magnesium chloride) from Natual Import Company, Biltmore Village,N.C. 28803, i ordered a 5#bag for $6.95+shipping,which was more then the salt itself. www.naturalimport.com
I have soaked more soy beans and chopped them up in the blender with water, to make a milk like slurry, and tried to make tofu as seen on U-Tube, the Soy milk is fine, but the tofu, it does curd, but the amount isn't worth talking about! it ends up to be a big waste of time and effort. i have tried adding more and less niagari, and added at different tempertures,165f,175,185f, it does curd, but like i say, you would strave to death if you depended on this method. i have soaked the beans overnight, and longer, it doesn't seem to make any difference! i even tried using a pressure cooker, same problems! I tried using muslin to filter the beans and milk, good luck!
I want to see someone make a block of tofu, like a 3# block of cheese!! that's what i want!! anyone know how to do that?? write me and let me know what i am doing wrong! i have to go and get another 25# of beans, im running low!!!
here is what i did find out- the beans when soaked will double in weight and volume, and 1 pound of beans makes 2 pounds of tofu, if you can get it to do it somehow! i used 2 tablespoons per cup of warm water for the curdling agent, i added slowly, stired, added more, it did curd, and did it over a 15 minute timeframe. it doesn't even make poor cottage chesse for me! the curds are tiny, and worthless! somewhere someone must know how to do it!
i called all over the Tampabay,florida area, no one makes fresh tofu! they all buy in a package from a tofu plant in who knows where! write me at bcnu1958@yahoo.com and let me know how its done! thanks, tofu todd

Last edited by tofu todd; 01-22-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 PM

730 posts, read 2,543,466 times
First, place the tofu block on papertowels for a while to get the moisture out.

then

I take the tub of tofu and slice it in like 1/2 inch slices, then cut those up to make the size cube I want.

Then I bake the tofu for like 45 minutes.

Leave that over night in the refridge.

When you are ready to eat the tofu, heat up some oil and flash fry the cubes.

This should give you the texture you want.

It took me like 50 different tries to finally get the right texture and this is the only way I found that works.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,492,494 times
You guys are hilarious - they don't do any of this in the Chinese restaurants I've worked in (except maybe allowing the tofu to drain and pressing out a little moisture.) I'm not sure what magic texture the OP is going for, but go to a good, big Asian grocery and buy some different textures of tofu. It comes in everthing from firm to very soft, including some that is so soft it comes in a tube. Cut in pieces, drain the moisture (or don't - I've never seen my MIL do this, and she cooks tofu a couple times a week). Cooking on high heat gets it crispy on the outside, dropping it in a soup makes it cook up softer, etc. I'm not sure exactly what texture the OP is going for but must tofu and broccoli I've had just uses plain old firm tofu, stirfried. The firmer the tofu, the less water it contains. Nothing special.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:15 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,122,715 times
When I do a take-out, I get tofu and broccoli and the tofu has a very firm texture, almost like "chicken"......LOL. My guess is it's compressed before cooking.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,492,494 times
It's probably just firm tofu to begin with.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 AM

622 posts, read 1,494,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu todd View Post
somewhere someone must know how to do it!
Hi Todd. I've made homemade tofu before from the beans and it's really no different than making paneer from dairy milk...meaning you add the precipant to the milk and it curdles, and it should start curdling instantly.
I made my soy milk from dry beans as well. So assuming you're making soy milk properly- soaking the beans, blending them and cooking the milk, I would say that by process of elimination, the problem must be either your beans or your nigari. So, get dried soybeans from a different source. Try that. If still no go, get different precipant. There's a few different salts that will curdle soy milk, though I think nigari from sea water tastes the best.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times
I haven't made my own tofu for years, but I remember that I would control the firmness of the finished block by how much pressure I used in the press.

Most presses used weight which could be varied, but I built one that could be tightened with a screw like a cheese press.

Of course you had to increase the pressure gradually as the tofu set up or it would just squish out of the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink