U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 AM

8 posts, read 25,621 times

Advertisements

Calling all the kitchen experts here. I am out of my element in deciding which mixer to get for my wife.

I saw the KitchenAid Artisan Series and Pro 500 Series are the same price, which one would you suggest?

I don't see many differences in the descriptions.
KitchenAid®: Stand Mixers (http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product_comparison.jsp?categoryId=310&productId=18 52,1959 - broken link)

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 12:23 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,680,586 times
Well, for one, the Artisan series has a tilt head, the other has the bowl lift. I have the other, so I can't speak for the tilt.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 AM

8 posts, read 25,621 times
Default Another one

KitchenAid Online Store | Professional 5™ Plus Series Mixers - KV25G0XBU

There is also the Professional 5 Series. 450 watts and bowl lifter here.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,680,586 times
I'd go with that one. You appreciate the extra wattage when using the dough hook on bread dough.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,180,331 times
I have two KitchenAid mixer, one of each of these styles but in different model numbers. The difference is mainly that the artisan has a tilt top and the pro has a fixed top with a bowl lifter. Some people like the tilt top for easier access to the beaters but I think the fixed top holds the beaters to the bowl more firmly and the bowl in the lift top is held in place to the base by a twist; sometimes it get stuck. There are some distinct differences in the dough hooks. The pro is a C hook and handles heavier dough and is the more professional shape. In addition, the pro is burnished while the artisan is enameled; the burnished has to be hand washed but does not have a finish that may chip off. The shape of the bowl of the pro is the more acceptable shape that you has been seen for many years in professional mixers, though the artisan shape has been around for many years but in a smaller 4 1/2 qt. bowl.

It is not very clear in the literature but some mixers have a full steel gears and some have nylon gears. The full steel gears are in the more expensive and always in the pro shape. However, both of my mixers have nylon gears and I have had the raised motor for about 25 years, 225 watts, and the pro, stationary motor for about 10 years, 350 watts. They both work well as they were new and I had other kitchenaids before that worked fine that I gave to relatives. I use them continually and that is important to keep the seals lubricated. They will deteriorate if they are not used for a long period of time.

The wattage of 350 is good enough for home use and for any accessories in the 5 quart bowl. I have numerous accessories and the main one to be used would be the grinder and it works well with 350 watts and the 225 watts. Sometimes they have increased the watts but not the bowl size so I do not think it makes a difference. Some of the older mixer had lower watts with a 5 quart bowl. The newer 6 quart bowls with larger watts are nice but more expensive and may not be necessary for most purposes in the home.

My preference would be the pro series because of the bowl shape and the dough hook. I have been using this style of mixer for about 40 years and I think this shape has been around for about 85 years. They had recently introduced a wider lower bowl and a different dough hook in the pro series, but I think the older higher bowl provided better dough and batter mixing. This has been a proven shape in professional bakeries, so why change.

Livecontent
CIA graduate

Last edited by livecontent; 12-17-2008 at 01:03 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 AM

14,944 posts, read 26,671,346 times
I had the KA lift head (Pro) and tilt head (Artisan). I hated the lift (just personal preference). I got rid of the lift, kept the tilt but my main mixer is this sweetie that I got last Christmas:
Electrolux Mixer Magic Mill DLX Mixers Kitchen Assistent Assistant Stand Mixer Electroluxe Mixers Best Kitchen Mixer
Now I live in happy mixing land.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:21 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,643,988 times
Are you really sure she wants a mixer for Christmas? If not, you'd better have some jewlery or perfume under the tree too. In fact, you might want to add it anyway.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:31 AM

849 posts, read 1,709,599 times
I'd love a Stand up mixer. I'd want one over jewelry or anything. Really! This is good information guys, thank you. I didn't know all the different features to look at. Maybe next year...this Christmas we are not exchanging gifts, except we did get something small for kids.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,391,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Are you really sure she wants a mixer for Christmas? If not, you'd better have some jewlery or perfume under the tree too. In fact, you might want to add it anyway.
Yep. Buy her one of the more powerful $50 hand mixers -- which work just as well anyway -- and some diamonds. You've spent the same amount of money, you've reduced the storage issues with the stand mixer, and you've given your wife some beautiful jewelry to show off.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,455,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Before I got mine I was begging for one for years. Considering how much these things cost, I would be perfectly happy with it. Now a vacuum on the other hand had better not be under the tree. LOL

As for me, I have the tilt head and it works perfectly well for every day use. I don't use the dough hook often enough to need the professional model. Maybe when my current mixer dies I will invest in the pro model but for now I am happy with the one I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink