Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 01:59 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times

Advertisements

In The Ultimate Cheapskate, there's a great section on shopping your own kitchen for meals.

So here's what I am making: root beer pot roast. Yes, there's actually a recipe for this on the Internet. Recipezaar.com has a feature that allows searching by ingredient. I had one last bottle of specialty root beer that had been rejected by the family. I had a bottle of chili sauce intended for some long forgotten recipe. I always have meat in the freezer. I'm going to throw it in the crockpot and call it a meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 AM

128 posts, read 362,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
In The Ultimate Cheapskate, there's a great section on shopping your own kitchen for meals.

So here's what I am making: root beer pot roast. Yes, there's actually a recipe for this on the Internet. Recipezaar.com has a feature that allows searching by ingredient. I had one last bottle of specialty root beer that had been rejected by the family. I had a bottle of chili sauce intended for some long forgotten recipe. I always have meat in the freezer. I'm going to throw it in the crockpot and call it a meal.
aaauger -

You're clearly worthy of the Cheaphood! So, how was the pot roast?

Of course the point in my book is that most people have more than enough food on hand in their cupboards, fridge, etc. to eat for at least a week of what I call "fiscal fasting": Living for a week without spending ANY money. As you found, it's truly a Mother-of-Invention. Heck, do you know that the average American throws away/wastes about a pound of food per day? To put it in human terms, that's like throwing away an Olson Twin every other month....

This looks like an interesting site. I hope to hang out here some.

Moderator cut: sig deleted

Last edited by Beretta; 12-27-2008 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Signature lines not allowed per the TOS, sorry

Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Every 3-4 months I do a clean out where I do not get new groceries
til all the cupboard and small freezer things get eaten up. It gets intersting but who says dinner can't be just a bit of 3-4 different things.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times
Well, the root beer pot roast was edible. It was probably better than an Olsen twin.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Hah! Too funny!

I love love love to just improvise and "shop" in my own pantry and cupboards! I thought everyone did that, substituting what you don't have with what you can find! (Sometimes it is wonderful, and sometimes - wellll, just count it a learning lesson! )

Old 12-30-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hah! Too funny!

I love love love to just improvise and "shop" in my own pantry and cupboards! I thought everyone did that, substituting what you don't have with what you can find! (Sometimes it is wonderful, and sometimes - wellll, just count it a learning lesson! )

Yeah, I love improv-cooking too. Although, as my poooor wife says, "If you are what you eat, my husband should be reduced for quick sale." Argh...

Old 12-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Bless your heart! LOL You ain't over there in the discount bin/buggy are you??

I usually do pretty good with the concoctions I come up with, however, there was this one time with my trying to concoct a smoked oyster dip - hmmmmm, let's just say all my foodie friends on here laughed for a week at my "baby-poo" dip! It still gets brought up now and again! Oh well! It really was the most awful, smelly green, well, you get the picture! This was one of the "learning lessons"!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Well, the root beer pot roast was edible. It was probably better than an Olsen twin.
Must have been the "specialty root beer" you used ... certainly the basic recipe was sound

Old 12-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Why? Did it call for, or against the olsen twin???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink