U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,446,776 times

Advertisements

If I am having a house full of company, many of whom would not know/care about a gourmet grind and just wants an average cup o joe, I will use a regular, 12 cup drip coffee maker (the kind that takes paper filters) and will add 10 heaping Tbsp of supermarket grade, ground coffee, such as Chock Full O Nuts or Maxwell House. That makes a not too strong pot of coffee which everyone seems to enjoy. Some folks I know add a touch of ground cinnamon to the grinds and the diners I used to frequent long ago added salt when they reused the grinds. I don't add anything to a regular pot, but these are things you may want to try.

Last edited by CheyDee; 01-03-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,513,009 times
I grind my beans fresh and use a Chemex coffee maker and the Chemex filters. The first cup is always the best. Flavor goes the longer it sits.

I buy my beans at Whole Foods. I like Nantucket Blend.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:25 PM

953 posts, read 742,077 times
I use magic beans! .....uh, sorry, that was for growing a beanstalk.
Try a "Coffee Toddy" cold filtered extraction system (about $30). It makes an absolutely smooth, concentrated coffee syrup from your favorite roast, to which you only add boiling water. My highest recommendation because: a) the aroma while filtering will make you weep with delight b) the Carafe of syrup is the source of "instant coffee" in any quantity you need c) the exceptional smoothness permits one to make an exceptionally strong cup 'o joe, without bitterness. d) they make wonderful gifts......which get used and are appreciated. e} I said so!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:41 PM

622 posts, read 1,494,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I grind my beans fresh and use a Chemex coffee maker and the Chemex filters. The first cup is always the best. Flavor goes the longer it sits.

I buy my beans at Whole Foods. I like Nantucket Blend.
I had to find out what a Chemex coffee maker was. It's so cool! I want one! It's like chemistry set = coffee. Love it!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:19 AM

6 posts, read 45,822 times
You have to pronounce your order slowly and carefully or the guy at Dunkin Donuts will screw it up

Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 AM

849 posts, read 1,708,107 times
I like dark coffee, normally French roast. Grind fresh, use filtered water and make it in your coffee press. That's how I like mine.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 AM

343 posts, read 1,388,336 times
I have to admit that the deciding factor for me is the coffee pot. I use a percolator, which makes a huge difference in the texture and taste. No matter what I do, automatic drip always seems to be a tad watery. Occasionally, I'll put a dash of nutmeg in the grounds, and that's pretty good too. I've tried a lot of the gourmet coffees, but my personal favorite is Jacobs - a finely ground German coffee...I don't know why... The advice about putting the coffee immediately into a carafe if you're not serving it all right away is definitely on the mark, too.
Bottom line, though, is that everyone's taste is going to be different. It could be a lot of fun trying out everyone else's suggestions (if it doesn't involving buying dozens of coffee makers and gadgets) to see if you can find that better cuppa joe, though!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:08 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Everyone's taste is indeed different.
IMHO:
I buy freshly roasted beans from a local mom and pop coffee house.
I also think grinding fresh makes a difference.
If you are going to use the beans within a week or so, just keeping them in a cool dry place is sufficient.
We do have a fancy-schmancy coffee machine, a Solis. We figured it was better to spend the money on it because we do like cappuccino and we don't like to dump our dollars at Starbuck's.
OTOH
Every now and then, for people who want it, I'll just make regular coffee in my mom's battered old drip coffeemaker. We took it on many a camping trip and it makes really good regular java.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 AM

616 posts, read 1,012,628 times
Cheap brand that makes a great cup is Folgers.
The darker the brew, the better!

I like to then doctor it up with different flavored creamers.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,763,505 times
I watched a documentary on coffee and the perfect cup a while back.

The most important thing is using "fresh" coffee and storing it correctly. In the documentary, it recommended only purchasing enough coffee to last for about a week. After that, the coffee's chemistry begins to change. They also said to store your coffee at room temperature. Storing ground coffee in the refrigerator or freezer also effects the chemistry which effects the flavor.

Other than that, I think the most important thing is to be sure that your brew is strong enough. If it's too strong, you can always add a little hot water but if it's too weak there's no remedy.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-04-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or