U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM

10,886 posts, read 9,663,976 times

Advertisements

I do not drink coffee and as such, I do not make a really good cup - except by accident! My DH loves coffee. Please tell me the best coffee to buy and what else you do to make it "perfect". Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
My coffee gets rave reviews. I grind the beans for each pot, use cold, filtered tap water, make it strong, and once it's made I immediately put it into a thermal carafe. I never ever ever keep it on the warmer.
I always use an Arabica species bean, never a Robusto.

These are the two main types of coffee I buy:

The dark roast from: Caffe Ibis Coffee Roasting Company, specializing in Triple Certified Coffee, Organic Coffee, Fair Trade Coffee, and Shade Grown Coffee (http://www.caffeibis.com/index/index.htm - broken link)

The regular traditional kind from: New Mexico Pinon Coffee Company: Department: 'NM Piñon Coffee'

In a pinch, I'll buy a can of ground Folgers Black Silk. It's not a bad coffee for what it is.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
not a secret
$300 capresso #455 coffee team therm
and a cuisinart grinder

Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,445,010 times
Default More than you ever wanted to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I do not drink coffee and as such, I do not make a really good cup - except by accident! My DH loves coffee. Please tell me the best coffee to buy and what else you do to make it "perfect". Thanks!
Gee Kats, that question is about as open ended as asking what one's favorite kind of jewelry is. (Do you like white gold, yellow gold, rose gold, silver, platinum, titanium, pearls, precious stones, semiprecious stones, no stones, necklaces, bracelets, rings, earrings?)

There are many different types of roasts which make up coffee. These roasts could be considered extra bold, dark, medium, light, and also come flavored, decaf and half decaf.

One example of an extra bold roast would be Timothy's Rain Forest Expresso. It has a very full-bodied taste. There are other extra bolds which have what is described as a syrupy taste, or a spicy (ie cedarwood), sweet and powerful taste, or a vibrant acidity, or a smoky finish. The coffee may be a smooth blend, with intense flavor and sweet notes.

A dark roast may have a combination of smoky intensity and caramel sweetness, or other sweet, pungent aromatics. In this group there are several coffees which are Turkish-style roasts or are made using Parisian roasting techniques (even though the coffee may be Colombian). There is coffee in this category which has slight acidity, can have bittersweet nuances, be woodsy, and/or have lingering bodies.

In the medium roast category, there are coffees which have subtle hints of chocolate and caramel, others which have a touch of French Roast, combinations of aromatic Costa Rican and smoky Guatemalan coffee beans, there are mocha javas with a blend of Ethiopian and Sumatran coffees and there are even floral blends, such as Tully's Kona Blend medium bodied roast. Tully's also makes an Evergreen Blend, which is a medium roast balanced with hints of cocoa and finishes with wine-like notes.

Among the light roasts are varying types, including ones which can be described as having sparkling acidity, with a warm, chocolaty finish, others that are aromatic masterpieces, with a hint of citrus, and still others that could be described as having a fruity blend with a slightly nutty finish.

Flavored coffees can be anything from French vanilla, to mocha nut fudge, to southern pecan, butter toffee, hazelnut, caramel vanilla cream, mudslides, Irish creme flavor, macadamia nut, creme brulee, etc.

Now that I've told you waaaaaay more than you wanted to know, my suggestion would be to as DH what his fav kind of coffee is. Maybe it's Maxwell House or Dunkin Donuts or perhaps a gourmet coffee blend. Also ask him how strong he likes his coffee; tell us too what kind of coffee pot you will be using. I could help you much better with that as a starting point.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Well, ok then! LOL I guess what I should have said was that I would love to make a great cup of coffee, without having to buy coffee at gourmet shops or investing in some sort of expensive apparatus. Just a good old fashioned cup of joe. I know some folks add a pinch of this or that, or only use certain coffees. Would like to be able to buy the coffee at a supermarket if possible. Gosh, didn't mean to open a can of worms!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,967,124 times
In Louisiana, the main brand to buy is Community Coffee. It comes in different levels of roast and Chicory or New Orleans blend. Most here buy the dark roast. We don't bother with the coffee maker or coffee ground instructions. To us (my family), the instructions are wrong. To get a nice smooth tasting coffee use one level table spoon (measuring spoon) per two cups (per coffee maker marker) of coffee. Don't buy Folgers. I swear they thin out their coffee with some sort of additives. Sometimes it smells like overcooked popcorn. If you can, use filtered water to fill the coffee maker. If you don't have Community Coffee then I don't know which to recommend. I've tried several but always go back to Community.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,967,124 times
Find out which store brand he likes and try following my brewing instructions. Oh, my wife would kill me if I didn't mention this. She swears by adding a few shakes of salt in with the coffee grounds to cut the bitterness. I never do. If you make your coffee daily, don't forget to clean the coffee maker at least once a month. Follow instructions in the owners manual (usually involves vineger) or get some Brew Rite.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,866,907 times
I buy coffee beans and grind them fresh every morning for my coffee. I used to buy a rainforest/fair trade brand of beans but for the past year I've been buying Patriot Blend at Sam's Club. It's a California company that roasts its own beans and donates coffee to our troops in the Middle East with every purchase.

The secret is grinding the coffee fresh from the beans, using cold spring water to make the coffee, and keeping the beans fresh by storing them in the fridge.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:48 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
Should I store my coffee beans in the fridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or