Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,285,164 times

Advertisements

One Day At a Time - great idea! Probably you should open a new thread for all the responses you will get on this though, otherwise it will hijack this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
One Day At a Time - great idea! Probably you should open a new thread for all the responses you will get on this though, otherwise it will hijack this one!
My most humble apologies. I was not thinking.

I did start a new thread.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Just this weekend, I cooked and canned almost 20# of ground beef. (The supermarket had boneless beef round steaks on sale for $1.49/#, so I had the butcher grind it into chopped meat.)
That is an awesome price here if I buy a 10# bag of ground beef it was $1.99# now it is $2.29 for about 85/15 ratio. If I buy less than 10# I am paying $2.69 from my butcher I always buy the 10# bag at a time then break it down into 1-1.5 packages in freezer zippies. Tip: When freezing ground beef I make a slit in the middle of each clump of flatten down burger so it thaws faster than a solid hunk of burger.

Tonight Wal Mart wanted $3.50 for one green bell pepper I let them keep it. I have some out of our garden frozen in strips but when I want a fresh one to eat raw I usually buy one. Not tonight.

Did you put up your burger in pints or quarts and how many jars did you get from 20#? Man you got a bargain!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,285,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
My most humble apologies. I was not thinking.

I did start a new thread.
Hey, I am so glad you did! I hope what I said about starting a new thread did not seem rude! It was just such a great idea, I thought it needed it's own thread! Please forgive me if I sounded rude!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:31 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hey, I am so glad you did! I hope what I said about starting a new thread did not seem rude! It was just such a great idea, I thought it needed it's own thread! Please forgive me if I sounded rude!
I didn't take it that way at all. I appreciate you reminding me. It really was a much better idea instead of hijacking a good thread.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 PM

202 posts, read 358,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Tonight Wal Mart wanted $3.50 for one green bell pepper I let them keep it. I have some out of our garden frozen in strips but when I want a fresh one to eat raw I usually buy one. Not tonight.
You are kidding!!! The other day I looked at green bell peppers at both Target and the local grocery, and it was about $1.50 for one. I didn't buy them then because I thought THAT was expensive!

This may not be super cheap, but I wouldn't think it would cost all that much. It's my great-grandmother's recipe & delicious & easy.

Chicken Casserole

1 stewing chicken (you could also use leftover chicken or canned chicken)
1 large bag potato chips, crushed (just whatever is cheapest - I prefer the wavy ones)
2 cans mushroom soup
1 can water

Boil chicken and remove from the bone. Layer the chicken and potato chips in a 9x13 inch pan. Mix the soup and water together and pour over the chicken & chips. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,660,340 times
black bean soup. gets some blacks beans. cook them up, with some lemon grass, basil or other herbs, toss in some carrots, then some fish (tilapia will do, anything cheap), add a bit of sirracha chili and voila. a nice hearty black bean spicy stew.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times
Bit of a side issue - but grow what you food you can, especially green leafy stuff; herbs, lettuce, spinach - anyone can grow these. Saves money, more healthy and yummier by far!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
That is an awesome price here if I buy a 10# bag of ground beef it was $1.99# now it is $2.29 for about 85/15 ratio. If I buy less than 10# I am paying $2.69 from my butcher I always buy the 10# bag at a time then break it down into 1-1.5 packages in freezer zippies. Tip: When freezing ground beef I make a slit in the middle of each clump of flatten down burger so it thaws faster than a solid hunk of burger.

Did you put up your burger in pints or quarts and how many jars did you get from 20#? Man you got a bargain!
Hey Jaxon!

I put the cooked ground round into pint jars and got 20 pints out of it, so there is approx. 1# in each. There are just 2 of us here, so each pint will probably be one to two meals. That comes out to $ .75 for TWO people's meat, if we get two meals out of each jar for the both of us. If I am extravagant, it comes to $1.49 for two.

For a couple of months leading up to Thanksgiving, the stores here were using ground beef as a loss leader. The best I had gotten was $1.97/# and knew I was getting a steal then. This was just unbelievable. I am sure most people don't even think to ask the butcher to grind the steaks up for ground round.

I don't blame you re the green pepper. For that price, I would never buy them again.

My next venture will be blackberries. They're going on sale tomorrow for $ .69/container.

Last edited by CheyDee; 01-12-2009 at 11:31 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,450,793 times
Great thread and great ideas too.

I think that in these times of difficulties the best thing is to try and remember what our grandparents used to cook and get some inspiration from to the simple peasant recipies.
So lots of pulses (beens, grains, etc.) pasta, rice.

With the help of the internet there is almost an unlimited number of possible recipies.

As for the pasta, some mentioned buying already made sauces but I feel that they all taste the same and many times they can be more axpensive than what one can cook from scratch.

-For example for a simple tomatoe sause:

One tin of crushed tomatoes (or if you have fresh tomatoes available just blend a few)
1 tbs olive oil
one clove of garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
some salt
Basil or oregano

Cook together for 15 minutes and you have a very simple cheep and tasty sauce.

You can add some red wine and butter as a variation. Or you can add with tune and olives to the sauce.

-Another cheap and healthy sauce which I call "The Italian Flag"
Cut in cubes some fresh tomatoes
Cut in cubes some Mozzarella Cheese

Put them in a bowl with fresh garlic, basil leaves, salt and olive oil and leave to marinate 1 hour.

When the pasta is cooked just mix all together.

Often I add some cooked peas or some steamed broccoli.

-Another easy and cheap pasta sauce:

Cook in a pan with some olive oil frozen peas,some ham or bacon cut into cubes and a bit of onion.

Add some cream and when the pasta is ready mix all together.
For a variation you can add some mushrooms or some sweetcorn.

These are just some examples of how versatile pasta can be.

Some of these sauces can also be used with jacket potatoes or rice or polenta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink