U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times

Advertisements

Well I'm back with another old dish my mother would make 60-70 yrs ago.
Hope you try and like it...old staple and a quick meal.

Ingredients;
6-8 chicken drumsticks or thighs
1 sm onion (sliced and not chopped)
2-3 garlic cloves (whole)
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tbs of veg oil (depending on size of pot)
spices:Red paprika, crushed mint,dill weed,macjoram,caraway seed,coriander,oregano,parsley flakes
4-6 Potatos or Rice for 4 people

Preparation;

Clean skin from chicken and soak for 2 hrs in cold water...drain often...place pieces on paper towel and micro 90 secs to remove any other fat. (little is okay)

In large pot add oil, onions,garlic...stir until slightly brown...add red paprika...stir another minute or so

Add chicken pieces and enough water (not to cover chicken tho)...stir couple of times

Sprinkle on top all the other spices and stir couple of times to mix spices

Bring water to boil and then reduce heat to medium level for approx 30 mins

While chicken is cooking (stir every 4-5 mins) prepare potatos or Rice as per normal prep

The potatos can be Boiled with skin removed or micro for 5 min and skin removed for mashing to soak up the gravy

You can have Rice instead to be covered with gravy...matter of choice
Decades ago it was always potatos while today we use a lot of Rice

This was always a Sunday meal at our house...hope you enjoy

I get my Imported Hungarian Sweet Red Paprika from Ottos in Burbank Ca

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Yum! Will save recipe and make.... thanks Steve! Your recipes are always top-notch!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 AM

622 posts, read 1,494,703 times
Hi Steve!
Thanks so much for sharing! I have a question, what is the purpose of soaking the chicken? Do you use fresh or dried herb? or is it a matter of availability?
Thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Morning all!!!!
Nice questions...think of when the chicken first has it's demise...feathers plucked and is cut up and then packed away into ice for shipping...not cleaned or washed at all. Soaking in the cold water brings any fat etc to the surface of the water. After removing the skin and the yellow fat there is still some visual showing on the surface of the water while soaking and draining. You can see the evidence and will taste the difference. My mother always did this as she always bought a LIVE chicken (remember rideing the streetcar home from the farmers mkt downtown with it clucking away inside the bag).
Think of the movies where people in Asia or South America do the same.

As to the spices...I bought a two tier rack of assorted spices and used the smell method for the variety and liked the aroma while chicken or meat was cooking...radiates thru the house.

I always soak my stewing beef or chicken to remove as much blood or fat as possible for a better taste. Pork chops or steak is different of course.

I micro the chicken pieces on paper towels as you can see the evidence of fat moisture.

Thanks again for asking...Steve

Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 PM

622 posts, read 1,494,703 times
Hi Steve
Thank you for your responses. I figured that the soaking would be for reasons along those lines. There's alot of meat that I soak as well, but I haven't done it for chicken. I'll have to try!
Thank you

Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,768,161 times
Steve, is that what we refer to as "Chicken Paprikash"? I had some once made by a lovely lady who was Hungarian. She put the sauce over noodles and it was wonderful.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:52 PM

You are talking about the sour cream being mixed in the gravy with the chicken and spooned over the noodles or Dumplings which my mother made many times.

"Paprikas" is stew in English. It can be prepped different ways...as I showed in the abbreviated recipe or can be cooked with the sour cream and dumplings or noodles...either way is okay.

Not everyone likes sour cream unless they have tasted it first hand the Hungarian way.

My first (late) wife was Irish/German and never cared for Garlic. Mother came to the house and taught her some Hungarian dishes to please me and the kids. Never know until you have tasted some dishes.

Steve

Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,549,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Well I'm back with another old dish my mother would make 60-70 yrs ago.
Hope you try and like it...old staple and a quick meal.

Ingredients;
6-8 chicken drumsticks or thighs
1 sm onion (sliced and not chopped)
2-3 garlic cloves (whole)
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tbs of veg oil (depending on size of pot)
spices:Red paprika, crushed mint,dill weed,macjoram,caraway seed,coriander,oregano,parsley flakes
4-6 Potatos or Rice for 4 people

Preparation;

Clean skin from chicken and soak for 2 hrs in cold water...drain often...place pieces on paper towel and micro 90 secs to remove any other fat. (little is okay)

In large pot add oil, onions,garlic...stir until slightly brown...add red paprika...stir another minute or so

Add chicken pieces and enough water (not to cover chicken tho)...stir couple of times

Sprinkle on top all the other spices and stir couple of times to mix spices

Bring water to boil and then reduce heat to medium level for approx 30 mins

While chicken is cooking (stir every 4-5 mins) prepare potatos or Rice as per normal prep

The potatos can be Boiled with skin removed or micro for 5 min and skin removed for mashing to soak up the gravy

You can have Rice instead to be covered with gravy...matter of choice
Decades ago it was always potatos while today we use a lot of Rice

This was always a Sunday meal at our house...hope you enjoy

I get my Imported Hungarian Sweet Red Paprika from Ottos in Burbank Ca

Steve
Sounds like a great recipe, Steve! Having been born in the old country and coming here as a child, we grew up on this kind of stuff. My husband and kids love it. I use about 3 fryers cut into "fryer" pieces at the butcher shop, pretty much the same ingredients except I add some celery and green pepper. I make dumplings, but I know it works quite well with potatoes. I've not tried it with rice yet, but why not; I'm sure that it tastes quite well with rice. Thanks - I always love these kinds of recipes!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:03 PM

Sorry...keep forgetting things;
Google up Hungarian Dumpling Recipe (or)
"Chicken Paprikas over Egg noodles" will show how to make the dish (I printed out a copy)
Have a file folder with the various recipes including a print out of my own.
Steve

Old 01-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Donna7...My mother came from Nyircsaholy, Szatmar Megye...close to Debrecen...maybe you recognize the names.
You are correct on the celery and Green Bell peppers. She never added that but I did later on in life.

I still have her original birth certificate fom 1909 and Original Passport from 1929.

Mother always made the Dumplings the original way with sour cream but I changed the recipe a little for a quick meal since I'm by myself and can get 3 meals from a pot besides making it a little Americanized version with the "rizs" rice being less fattening on the waistline.
Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or