Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,030,941 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me where to find a list of fish which are considered sustainable, and which are overfished or endangered?

I found this very helpful info on European and North Atlantic fish - but haven't found a comprehensive list for the US.

Anyone know of a list for sustainable fish caught in the USA and also imported here from overseas?

Guide: Which fish to avoid and what you can eat instead | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Fish to Eat (http://www.fishonline.org/advice/eat/?item=6 - broken link)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,442,601 times
Most over-fished, so I hear, is the bluefin tuna. Numbers have been reduced by 90 percent. Albacore is much better managed. Alaskan pollock is pretty abundant, but mostly because some of the biggest fish nuts in the world don't clamor for it. Top picks: Safe, sustainable fish | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Old 06-29-2013, 01:49 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,761,574 times
Tilapia is supposed to be the most sustainable fish. It's a freshwater fish and has no intrinsic flavor whatsoever. I'll eat tofu before I'll eat tilapia - heck, I'll eat fried catfish fins (which are pretty good, by the way) before I'll eat tilapia.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:49 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Tilapia is supposed to be the most sustainable fish. It's a freshwater fish and has no intrinsic flavor whatsoever. I'll eat tofu before I'll eat tilapia - heck, I'll eat fried catfish fins (which are pretty good, by the way) before I'll eat tilapia.
now that is really funny!! You made my morning...

I am not a huge tilapia lover, it is pretty flavorless, but it is cheap and is healthy. We do have it about once a month. We get it at Sam's crusted in whatever, so it has a little flavor and I am sure would be better that cat fish fins.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
This is a good question and something worth investigating, if we could find a truly legit study that doesn't have an agenda attached to it. I think, because of so many fish farms, probably there are not that many over fished, but raised in a pond, on a fish farm isn't the same as putting that pole in the water and fishing for that wonderful fresh trout.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 AM

32,497 posts, read 47,468,261 times
Look at the prices. If it is really expensive, it is over-fished and supply is low. You aren't paying $22 a pound for swordfish because they are hauing in 5,000 tons every day for 365 days a year. You oay $22 a pound because there isn't much of it available.

Talapia makes a great fresh tuna salad sandwich, but I won't buy it because I can't find any that does not come from China and I don't buy food from China.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,551,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Look at the prices. If it is really expensive, it is over-fished and supply is low. You aren't paying $22 a pound for swordfish because they are hauing in 5,000 tons every day for 365 days a year. You oay $22 a pound because there isn't much of it available.

Talapia makes a great fresh tuna salad sandwich, but I won't buy it because I can't find any that does not come from China and I don't buy food from China.
Hmm -- if I get tilapia, I buy it from the asian grocery stores in my area and they have it live swimming in tanks. Doesn't get much fresher than that.

Most saltwater fish is overfished and very difficult to farm successfully, and certainly not to any great size. Sad but true. However, fresh mussels are almost always sustainably raised -- they are saltwater, but since they attach themselves to pilings/poles, they can be "farmed" in saltwater rivers, bays and estuaries and without need to use antibiotics or worries about fish sludge buildup like you get in pond farmed fishes. Because of that, it's one of the few seafoods that I will eat with any regularity.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:06 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,759,643 times
I really don't like tilapia nor any other fresh water fish. I like ocean fish like halibut, cod, orange roughy, tuna, swordfish and so on. I understand that orange roughy is slow growing and late to mature making it extremely over-fished.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 PM

44,916 posts, read 59,916,725 times
Can't stand tilapia or catfish.

Orange roughy was an excellent fish that was overfished and is now unobtainable.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,761,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
...Orange roughy was an excellent fish that was overfished and is now unobtainable.
They should have kept its original name, Slimehead, and fewer people would have eaten it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink