Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

I have developed my own method. I don't like the whites and yellow parts mixed too good because I like to taste both by themselves. I take one or two pieces of bacon (lately just one piece because we are limiting fat) and fry it slowly in the pan. By the time the bacon is fried, the pan is really hot. Take the bacon slice or slices out. I break the egg or eggs and put them whole in the pan and let them cook a little while I add pepper. No salt is needed. I break open the yellow with a spoon and let it spread around. I think adding anything to an egg ruins it. The bacon gives it all the flavor it needs. I then gently scramble the egg by moving the spoon around in the pan. I cook eggs thoroughly. If anything is running I won't eat it. If you want to add cheese, I would think you would do that at the very end of cooking. Cheese is really easy to burn.

We have started something new lately. We eat scrambled egg whites only. Three egg whites equals one egg. I just separate the whites from the yolk and put the yolk aside to cook for the cat later. Follow the directions for the scrambled eggs above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
If you are going to add extra ingredients (like for an omelete but you can add to scrambled eggs too - makes it more of a meal) I saute those ingredients first (chopped onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, whatever) in a little butter then set that aside. Then add when the eggs are not quite done - enough to reheat the veggies and melt the cheese while not overcooking the egg....

Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
livebyoptimism none of us are too old to learn something new and I applaud you for trying to eat something again you don't care for.

Once you master the scrambled eggs, then try your hand at frying how about poached? Get your pan of water hot crack open your eggs to float into the water. When you see the whites set up you take them out with a slotted spoon. You can buy a special poaching pan but I don't like one hit wonders taking up space in my house so I use a pan of hot water.

We love eggs around here anyway they are cooked.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Take a few eggs and crack them in a bowl, beat them until slightly frothy. Heat a pan over medium heat, add a teaspoon of butter, When the butter starts to melt pick up the pan and tilt it from side to side to spread the butter around the pan. Place the pan back on the heat and let the butter get hot, about 15 seconds. Pour the eggs into the pan,let the eggs cook until you see the edges forming, take a spatula and pull the cooked towards the center of the pan, tilt the pan till the runny egg pour to the outer edges . When all the runny egg has been tipped to the edges slightly mix the eggs then sprinkle your cheese, mix lightly and cook for another few seconds and serve. Try to do these steps quickly, the eggs cook very fast and they will dry out. I like mine with sour cream and salsa.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 PM

113 posts, read 425,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Once you have ventured into cooking scrambled eggs, you truly must try cooking fried eggs, sunny-side-up. Fry some bacon, and when it's crispy, remove it to some paper towels to drain, leaving the bacon grease in your pan. On about a medium heat, carefully crack two eggs into the skillet. Kind of push the whites toward the yolks because they will spread right at first. Then take a spatula and push/splash the bacon grease on top of the eggs (basting). The top of the egg will turn kind of white, but the egg yolk will still be runny. Bacon, sunny-side-up eggs, and toast for dipping--Heaven! Good luck!
Mmm, now I do know I like these because this is how my mom cooks them. I've watched her for many, many years, but just never bothered to do it myself. Esp since i'm not a big fan of eggs. I might have to get up enough nerve to try it! Haha, esp since i know I already like them!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,643 times
poached eggs are fun....... you basically crack an egg over a BIG pot of boiling water and as quickly as possible let the egg slip in the water....... then u let it sit in the water depending on how much you want the egg cooked. (I like mine "over-medium" so that way the yolk isn't SUPER super runny)

then you need to spoon the egg out somehow after you've let it cook the amount of time you want it cooked. (Over-easy is less time, over-medium is more time).......

they're SORT of like hard boiled eggs, but the yolk doesn't get hard, it's sort of soupy once you slice it open to eat it.......

Poached eggs are what go on top of eggs benedict, or you can put them on top of toast and use the toast to sop up the soupy yolk........

They're fun to make cuz watching the egg go into the water and then STAY solid and like STAY together once you put it in the water is REALLY Cool (You'd think it would just kind of mesh in with the water, but it doesn't).......

Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
The more you beat the eggs the frothier and airier they'll get. Butter in pan, melt, swirl, add eggs, let set a few seconds and just move them around lightly with the spatula. Low heat is the trick.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 42,974 times
simple -

crack egg - scramble it in a bowl, add a tsp of milk (or a dash) to make eggs fluffy Add salt and pepper - and veggies or whaver else is going in there- make sure you put it in a small pan (if there is only one egg) add a dash of margarine or butter so the egg doesnt stick - cook on low heat for 3-5 min. wala!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
honestly ramsey's eggs look gross to me

Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Scrambled. Skillet very hot, a little grease. Break the eggs right in the hot grease, break the yolks, push around a little with a spatula, turn over a couple of times, serve with white and yolk distinct and some parts still runny. Plenty of fresh-ground black pepper. Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds. Best addition is to have some mushrooms already sauteed in the grease when you put the eggs in.

Mmmm===gonna go make one right now, for bedtime snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink