U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM

113 posts, read 374,037 times

Advertisements

I know it sounds like a question that everyone should know the answer to, but I need some help! I'm 26 & have NEVER liked eggs. Every now & then I would eat scrambled eggs with lots of cheese or fried eggs if my mom made them, but that's the only way. I still really despise hard boiled eggs or anything that comes along with it like potato salad, egg salad, or macaroni salad.

So recently I've been trying eggs. I'm having a very hard time cooking them. When I scramble them, they always stick to the bottom of the pan! I only have one skillet & it's not non-stick, so I need some help! When is the right time to add cheese or other things like veggies?

If anybody would like to give me some step by step instructions here, that's be great! Ha ha, I know that it sound funny to be 26 & not know how to cook an egg, but like I said, I'm just venturing into eggs.

Also, how do you like to eat them & what do you like to add extra to them?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:14 PM

2,584 posts, read 9,372,219 times
mix your egg in a bowl with a fork before putting into the pan - that way you don't have to worry about the different way the yolk and whites cook... just beat it with a fork till its blended.

The put just a small bit of butter in the pan before putting them in... if you don't like the fat of butter (I don't care because I love the flavor), then use a spray on oil like Pam... could also use a little olive oil...

Don't get your heat too high...

Poor them over that little oily spot, let the bottom firm up, add whatever you want, then mix them up and let them gently cook until they have the consistency you want.

Last edited by Dave1215; 01-24-2009 at 06:39 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 06:18 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,494,843 times
Eggs are a good test of a cook's skill; they're not the easiest products to work with. If they're sticking, you're using way too much heat.

To be honest, you sound set in your ways, and are probably a lost cause.

If you really want to break the chains,
this video is, without a doubt, the best example of how to cook scrambled eggs that I've ever seen. As soon as I saw this, I tried it - they're fabulous. And I didn't even have creme fraiche at the time so I had to substitute sour cream.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post

To be honest, you sound set in your ways, and are probably a lost cause.
Well, hey! That's not nice! Obviously, I'm willing to try or else I wouldn't have bothered to ask! I love almost every kind of food there is... except for some meats, seafood, & eggs... and a few veggies. But other than that, I'm not really picky & am always up for new things. Thanks for the link to the video clip.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:

If you really want to break the chains,
this video is, without a doubt, the best example of how to cook scrambled eggs that I've ever seen. As soon as I saw this, I tried it - they're fabulous. And I didn't even have creme fraiche at the time so I had to substitute sour cream.
That was a good video of cooking an egg! Anything Gordon Ramsey does is good in my book. He's very passionate about food so you know it's go tot be good! Thanks! I'll have to give it a try.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM

877 posts, read 2,360,084 times
You may want to slowly get into eggs by using egg beaters...it can make a good omelet..just put a bit of oil (olive for me) at the bottom on the pan and when hot, add the liquid egg beaters until the bottom of the pan is covered....sprinkle some shaved cheese all over the egg then flip in half when the egg is almost cooked...I love egg beaters but it is not for everyone so just a suggestion

Old 01-24-2009, 06:31 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,991,046 times
Quote:
... To be honest, you sound set in your ways, and are probably a lost cause ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebyoptimism View Post
Well, hey! That's not nice! Obviously, I'm willing to try or else I wouldn't have bothered to ask ...
Don't worry about that. You're new here Welcome!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
You may want to slowly get into eggs by using egg beaters...it can make a good omelet..just put a bit of oil (olive for me) at the bottom on the pan and when hot, add the liquid egg beaters until the bottom of the pan is covered....sprinkle some shaved cheese all over the egg then flip in half when the egg is almost cooked...I love egg beaters but it is not for everyone so just a suggestion
I think I'll have to try this. I'm up for anything. Do you cook the egg on low heat? How do you know when it's done? I mean, don't eggs get rubbery if they're overcooked?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,816,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebyoptimism View Post
I know it sounds like a question that everyone should know the answer to, but I need some help! I'm 26 & have NEVER liked eggs. Every now & then I would eat scrambled eggs with lots of cheese or fried eggs if my mom made them, but that's the only way. I still really despise hard boiled eggs or anything that comes along with it like potato salad, egg salad, or macaroni salad.

So recently I've been trying eggs. I'm having a very hard time cooking them. When I scramble them, they always stick to the bottom of the pan! I only have one skillet & it's not non-stick, so I need some help! When is the right time to add cheese or other things like veggies?

If anybody would like to give me some step by step instructions here, that's be great! Ha ha, I know that it sound funny to be 26 & not know how to cook an egg, but like I said, I'm just venturing into eggs.

Also, how do you like to eat them & what do you like to add extra to them?

Thanks in advance!
Once you have ventured into cooking scrambled eggs, you truly must try cooking fried eggs, sunny-side-up. Fry some bacon, and when it's crispy, remove it to some paper towels to drain, leaving the bacon grease in your pan. On about a medium heat, carefully crack two eggs into the skillet. Kind of push the whites toward the yolks because they will spread right at first. Then take a spatula and push/splash the bacon grease on top of the eggs (basting). The top of the egg will turn kind of white, but the egg yolk will still be runny. Bacon, sunny-side-up eggs, and toast for dipping--Heaven! Good luck!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM

4,306 posts, read 11,144,550 times
I cook my eggs in a 8 inch well seasoned cast iron skillet. For scramble eggs I add a little milk which makes them light and fluffy. When the get about half way done I add some cheese and your good to go.

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink