Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times

Advertisements

I had a coworker that was allergic to onions, shallots, green onions (basically, anything in the onion family), and fish. I believe it was the sulfur in these products that she was allergic to, not 100% sure of this. funny thing was that we worked together at a supermarket, so she had to always wear a glove on one hand so she could handle these items when they came to her register. needless to say, she transferred to the flower department so she wouldn't have ot deal w/ the allergens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,215 times
My fiancée is servearly allergic to onions and onion powder. He cant eat anywhere that serves onions rings in case of cross contamination. Once at a sub shop, we made the guy change his gloves, but forgot to ask for a clean knife. He cut my sons sandwich, then mine, then his. We still ended up at the hospital that night. He also has another food allergy that is so rare, that I cant even find research on it, but it was diagnosed by a doctor as well. If he accedently eats onions or onion powder, he starts having gastrointestinal problems, and bleeding internally. I never realized before I starting shopping for him, how much freaking stuff has onion powder in it. Freaking everything!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:17 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
I absolutely love onions. They are one of my favorite foods. If I developed a sensitivity or allergy to onions I would be a sad puppy.

One food that I am at least sensitive to is certain types of bread. If it isn't stone ground wheat bread then it really makes my heart rate go up. Not all non-wheat bread does this to me, but most do. It's a good thing I like wheat bread better than white anyway.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:15 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,333 times
I tell people that I am allergic to onions because I hate them so much. When I was a kid I threw up when somebody was slicing one. I cannot have them even near me or I start gagging.

I know what some food they sneak onion in the cooking. if its pretty weak and unnoticable I will tolerate it as long as I dont see them.

But good ol fresh raw onions around, I have to leave the room or I will be sick.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
im terribly allergic to onions. my skin breaks out, rashes, and my throat swells up. im also allergic to amoxicillan,and anything in the cillan family. its sucksss!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
My niece can't eat onions, but I guess you would call it a sensitivity as she doesn't go into anaphylactic shock or anything.

She just started to notice that sometimes after she ate she would get headaches and sick to her stomach followed later by lower intestinal problems. Through process of elimination she came to realize it was onions, and now she doesn't eat them at all and the symptoms are gone.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:19 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,892,718 times
My father has an onion "sensitivity", he can't tolerate them. They make him very sick.

I am allergic to soy and peanuts, very allergic. I used to carry an epi-pen, but I stopped because while peanuts will make my heart nearly stop, soy causes the opposite reaction with an extreme heart rate so high that I get chest pains/can't breathe/nearly pass out. I would be afraid someone would grab my epi-pen while I was having a reaction to soy, and the adrenaline would do me in for sure. And yes, for the allergy-police, I have been tested for both.

I do love onions though, we eat them just about every day. When my father comes for a visit, everything just tastes so bland without onions.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I am allergic to soy and peanuts, very allergic. I used to carry an epi-pen, but I stopped because while peanuts will make my heart nearly stop, soy causes the opposite reaction with an extreme heart rate so high that I get chest pains/can't breathe/nearly pass out. I would be afraid someone would grab my epi-pen while I was having a reaction to soy, and the adrenaline would do me in for sure. And yes, for the allergy-police, I have been tested for both.
You don't need an epi-pen. Just carry peanuts and soy with you, everywhere you go. Then, if you inadvertently get served one of those products, you can take the OTHER one out of your purse, eat a bit, and regulate your heart rate!

I'm joking but it really IS scary stuff.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,892,718 times
Believe me, my hubby has been suggesting that for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink