U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times

Advertisements

Do you keep items stocked for emergencies like being snowed in or power outages? I thought it would be neat to share our ideas.

Things I stock for "just in case"
Bottled water.
Canned beans(in case water is an issue)
Pasta
Rice
Noodles
Canned veggies and canned tomatoes
Tomato sauce
Crackers
Peanut butter
Jelly
Canned meat like tuna, turkey, and chicken
Canned fruit
Dried fruit
Dry milk
Canned or bottled juices
Cornbread mix that only needs water
Pancake mix that only needs water
Oatmeal(water only)
Biscuit mix

Ready made things like-
Pudding
Jello
Canned ravioli and spaghetti and meatballs
soup
canned chili
ready made meals like "Homestyle Bakes"(although I have never tried them)

There are so many meals you can make with these items that don't need any refrigeration but you do need a cooking source like a gas grill or gas stove that can be used.

So how long can you go without "having" to buy any food? I figure my husband and I could last for a couple of months just from our pantry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
I tend to love reading about survival planning. and as a result I have a "bunker" of stuff in the basement, including first aid supplies, crank operated lights and radios, water purifier tablets, etc. For someone who has never gone camping, I have more camping equipment that you can imagine.
I have several months' worth of non-perishable food. To your list I would add granola bars and nuts, and dry pet food (can't forget the furry guys in an emergency!) And don't forget for all those canned goods, to have more than one manual can-opener!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I tend to love reading about survival planning. and as a result I have a "bunker" of stuff in the basement, including first aid supplies, crank operated lights and radios, water purifier tablets, etc. For someone who has never gone camping, I have more camping equipment that you can imagine.
I have several months' worth of non-perishable food. To your list I would add granola bars and nuts, and dry pet food (can't forget the furry guys in an emergency!) And don't forget for all those canned goods, to have more than one manual can-opener!
Excellent. Good point about the manual can opener. I was actually thinking I need to get more dog food.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
You should see my collection! My boyfriend makes fun of me, calling it my "appocalypse bunker." I even have iodine to take in case of a nuclear attack (and really, I'm quite sane & normal!)

Your photo is beautiful! Looks like you live in a place where you could have a real "bunker."

Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,117,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Do you keep items stocked for emergencies like being snowed in or power outages? I thought it would be neat to share our ideas.

Things I stock for "just in case"
Bottled water.
Canned beans(in case water is an issue)
Pasta
Rice
Noodles
Canned veggies and canned tomatoes
Tomato sauce
Crackers
Peanut butter
Jelly
Canned meat like tuna, turkey, and chicken
Canned fruit
Dried fruit
Dry milk
Canned or bottled juices
Cornbread mix that only needs water
Pancake mix that only needs water
Oatmeal(water only)
Biscuit mix

Ready made things like-
Pudding
Jello
Canned ravioli and spaghetti and meatballs
soup
canned chili
ready made meals like "Homestyle Bakes"(although I have never tried them)

There are so many meals you can make with these items that don't need any refrigeration but you do need a cooking source like a gas grill or gas stove that can be used.

So how long can you go without "having" to buy any food? I figure my husband and I could last for a couple of months just from our pantry.
I have enough canned stuff to last many, many months - maybe a year! I don't have much in the way of packaged things, but I also have 70 lbs of whole wheat berries and a hand grinder, so I could make cereal or flour, if necessary - but I also have a 5 gal bucket full of flour, plenty of cornmeal, rice, etc. The water would be a problem - our city water is so lousy, I can't drink it without filtering it first, though the dogs and the horse don't seem to mind it. Then there's all the spices and baking necessities, like baking powder and yeast. Mostly what I do buy is milk, eggs, and cheese, and while I freeze the milk, the eggs and cheese don't make it to the freezer. I also have a couple manual can openers, and a small grill, so if both the power and gas go out, I could get by for quite a while.

Speaking of which, I need to order more hay and get more kibbles! The horse could get by for awhile on the dead grass, though she wouldn't be all that happy about it, but the dogs definitely need their own food.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:36 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,661,881 times
I keep a 7mm hunting rifle, and amunition. I also have a skining knife, a fishing pole, tackle box, a brick oven outside, and 75 acres of fresh crop!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,028,496 times
You've got a great pantry there, younglisa! Unfortunately, I live in a 'concrete jungle', so although I do have much of what's on your list, I have limited space. I do keep enough food on hand for a few weeks, or so.

I've always used manual can openers, never used the electric ones. How about a non-electric drip coffee pot, too? My sister has several large capacity food grade barrels they store water in. She also cans a lot of food from her garden, so they are pretty well set for food for several months, maybe more.

Also, if one drinks milk or apple/berry juices, there's the option of buying it in tetra-packs. I've seen packages which are meant to keep milk fresh for well over a year. No freezing or refrigeration required.

Does anybody keep MREs on hand? I think that's what they're called. There are some really good ones, meant more for camping than the military I'm sure (). They even have desserts like ice cream sandwiches, whole meals (stroganoff, veggies) - pretty much anything you can think of! I've tried the ice cream sandwiches, and they're really not too bad!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,450,688 times
I don't right now, we have ate through everything we had for "hurricane" survival. They said to stock for 3 days, well that obviously is not enough. We were out of power for two weeks. This spring, I intend to go whole hog and stock up enough to last that long. I also brought home a canner that was my Grandmother's and I am going to start canning as well.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I don't right now, we have ate through everything we had for "hurricane" survival. They said to stock for 3 days, well that obviously is not enough. We were out of power for two weeks. This spring, I intend to go whole hog and stock up enough to last that long. I also brought home a canner that was my Grandmother's and I am going to start canning as well.
Remebmer it's easier to pick up a little extra each week instead of all at once. It's also easier to take advantage of sales that way.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,147,286 times
For my Emergency Food and Meals, I went the easy route. MRE's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink