Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are prepackaged salads at the supermarket a good idea?
Yes! It's convenient and delicious! 22 44.00%
No! It's got pesticides in it! 7 14.00%
I don't eat salad. 0 0%
Other "please explain" 21 42.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 PM

858 posts, read 3,035,615 times

Advertisements

My wife, had went shopping yesterday and came home with one of them salads in a bag.. I always make my own from scratch... It wasnt to bad but there was alot of almost turning brown lettuce in the pack.. Do alot of folkes use these perpackaged salads???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,378,476 times
I have bought them before, but for the most part I do not.

They cost more, they smell funny from whatever they put on the leaves to keep them "fresh," and they don't taste as good.

I do like that boxed organic baby spinach, that is my one exception.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:17 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,390,449 times
I don't buy them often either...if I do, its when they go on sale
Either way, I always rinse whatever produce/veggies I buy!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I don't buy them often either...if I do, its when they go on sale
Either way, I always rinse whatever produce/veggies I buy!
Perhaps, that may be where I went wrong.. I didnt rinse it off.. And It did smell kind of funny, come to think about it... She didnt tell me what she paid for the whole bag.. One thing is for sure it don't last long.. I was going to use what was left today and the inside of the bag was all wet.. I dont think I'll be getting that stuff again..

Old 01-25-2009, 10:23 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,607,684 times
I buy it all the time...just be sure to double check the dates.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,836,314 times
Well John...having been in the Grocery business 23 yrs I will give a good assessment.

Each pkg has a code date or "best by" date which is the last day the product should be consumed and actually is the last date the product can be sold (being a perishable item).

Buy the pkg with the latest date and open and eat within 48 hrs because after that the leaves will slowly start to wilt. You do not want to open a pkg and leave it in the lower tray for 4-5 days.

I buy one for hamburger or for Tacos and try to eat the whole thing in 3-4 days at the max. Even then some times end up dumping the remainder due to being soggy looking. Don't like being sick.

Give an example of a problem I have here in Mexico. I buy a qt of Jersey milk with a date 10 days from today. If I do not drink or use the qt within 5 days from today...it will start to smell a little and when I place some in a bowl in the micro for cereal...if it does not curdle I'm okay...if it curdles then I pour down the drain.

On the other hand...buying a qt in the US while picking up some groceries the milk will stay for 7-10 days with NO problem. They are both supposed to be pasturized. Go figure.

Back to the salad lettuce question. Remember that the stuff is packaged days before delivery to the store and sits on the shelf 3-5 days depending on sales and rotation. Think back on the calender. Steve

Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Well John...having been in the Grocery business 23 yrs I will give a good assessment.

Each pkg has a code date or "best by" date which is the last day the product should be consumed and actually is the last date the product can be sold (being a perishable item).

Buy the pkg with the latest date and open and eat within 48 hrs because after that the leaves will slowly start to wilt. You do not want to open a pkg and leave it in the lower tray for 4-5 days.

I buy one for hamburger or for Tacos and try to eat the whole thing in 3-4 days at the max. Even then some times end up dumping the remainder due to being soggy looking. Don't like being sick.

Give an example of a problem I have here in Mexico. I buy a qt of Jersey milk with a date 10 days from today. If I do not drink or use the qt within 5 days from today...it will start to smell a little and when I place some in a bowl in the micro for cereal...if it does not curdle I'm okay...if it curdles then I pour down the drain.

On the other hand...buying a qt in the US while picking up some groceries the milk will stay for 7-10 days with NO problem. They are both supposed to be pasturized. Go figure.

Back to the salad lettuce question. Remember that the stuff is packaged days before delivery to the store and sits on the shelf 3-5 days depending on sales and rotation. Think back on the calender. Steve
Thanks for all the good information, Steve..

Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,332,366 times
I buy prepackaged salad - if used within a day or two it is not a problem.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,684,567 times
I'll use it when I'm in a hurry but I prefer to make my own. I like to have carrots, radishes, red onion, tomato, cucumber, etc in my salad.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:19 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,190,254 times
I don't buy them because I saw a program one time that showed how it was made. They use the lettuce that doesn't make the grade to be sold as lettuce. They slice it up and use it in the mixes. Personally I don't want to eat something that wasn't considered quality enough to be sold as the vegtable it was intended to be. Could be a load of malarky but there ya go.

For me it is cheaper to make my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink