Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

I think someone upthread who mentioned our labeling laws had it right on the money. Other countries may or may not have all the additives, but not be required to tell us about them if they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:13 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
when my son was a baby, I used to only buy German baby food for when I didn't feel like making my own. So much better for him and so few additives. I think it's one of the reasons he's open to new foods today.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 AM

138 posts, read 270,583 times
I noticed that when i travelled abroad ,despite eating smaller portion sizes and being more active... I felt less hungry.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
I noticed that when i travelled abroad ,despite eating smaller portion sizes and being more active... I felt less hungry.
I remember the grandfather from the Heidi books saying something to that effect - that when she was getting fresh air, fresh, good food, and exercise that she felt better and thought better.

I imagine it as real calories vs fake...

Old 02-28-2009, 06:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
The western european countries at least have as strict, if not stricter, labeling guidelines as us. I think that their processed foods probably have the same ingredients, most of them come from the same places, but they tend to eat more whole and fresh foods. I have also found that many of their sauces and such do not have nearly the salt, sugar, and preservatives that ours do. This includes restaurants.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
The western european countries at least have as strict, if not stricter, labeling guidelines as us. I think that their processed foods probably have the same ingredients, most of them come from the same places, but they tend to eat more whole and fresh foods. I have also found that many of their sauces and such do not have nearly the salt, sugar, and preservatives that ours do. This includes restaurants.
Agreed. Noticed in the UK there was no High Fructose Corn Syrup in anything.

They have plenty of junk foods - just as addicted as we are. But the basics such as cheese, yogurt etc are far less chemically altered and it is just easier to find plain food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink