U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,937,350 times

Advertisements

I cannot eat these either as they give me a horrible migraine....I have done a great search and found several brands of things.... Hormel makes a natural deli meat you can find in the deli selection where everything is boxed already- the box is Brown and Red and it is "decent". I will eat it... They also have chicken strips for salads or things like that already cooked w/o nitrates... same box....
Do you have BJ's Wholesale Club nearby? They have a great deli meat selection w/o nitrates and the flavor is amazing... I cannot remember the brand but all BJ's in my area carry it and I would assume it to be the case there.

In terms of breakfast sausages and things I buy JONES brand... it is all natural.... I get it in the freezer section at my local grocer. It is right there next the regular JIMMY DEAN stuff. Tastes great and you don't miss all the nitrates at all..... my hubby loves it....

I have not found a hotdog that suits me well... but Applegate is the closest brand that I can find w/o the nitrates.... still searching.

I hope this is somewhat helpful......
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 5,859,897 times
I buy the BIG bags of frozen Jones sausage at Costco. Love em.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 8,575 times
Boars Head DOES have preservatives/nitrates. I used to buy them exclusively but now do not feed my family nitrates at all. There is one company called Applegate Farms that does not have preservatives or nitrates. They are sold in sealed packages (I think 7 oz or so). They are excellent quality. They are sold in places like Whole Foods and other natural food stores for about $6.40 for 7 oz (also in Trader Joes- where I purchase them for almost half the price of Whole Foods-I think about $3.69 for 7 oz of Turkey). I have also found that many stores including Stop and Shop have products that are nitrate free like hot dogs and bacon and packaged lunchmeat under their natural products house brand Nature's Promise (they are very good). I think that Shaws has a line in their store called Wild Harvest (also their house brand). Ask at your local store if they cary nitrate free products and if they don't, tell them that you want them to carry them! Hope that helps.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM

8,881 posts, read 11,245,130 times
Is there a Whole Foods Market near you? It's pricey, but if your main concern is nitrates and prservatives that might be your only option just short of any farms or ranches near you where you can get fresh open range produce, which will also cost more.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM

390 posts, read 895,038 times
I used to get my sandwich meat at Whole Foods. It's supposed to be rbgh free and antibiotics free. It's pricey but it tastes so much better it was more than worth it.

Standards have slipped at WF as demand grows, me thinks. I may or may not go back to the WF deli section again. It's unfortunate as they used to be the very best all around grocery I had ever shopped at.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:43 PM

8,881 posts, read 11,245,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I used to get my sandwich meat at Whole Foods. It's supposed to be rbgh free and antibiotics free. It's pricey but it tastes so much better it was more than worth it.

Standards have slipped at WF as demand grows, me thinks. I may or may not go back to the WF deli section again. It's unfortunate as they used to be the very best all around grocery I had ever shopped at.
I agree. They used to make sandwiches to order and also had a better and more random selection of sandwiches already made. Now, it's the same 6 sandwich selections in the window, already made, every day. Nothing special. At least the two I've tried in Massachusetts are like this, not sure if it's different in other states. Years ago I had a great sandwich at the San Diego location when they were making sandwiches fresh to order.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM

691 posts, read 735,013 times
I think y'all mean nitrites.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 AM

10,481 posts, read 14,844,632 times
This store here has nitrate free lunch meats, hot dogs, bacon, etc:

Sunflower Farmers Market

There are two of them in Vegas

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM

7,504 posts, read 14,627,148 times
Hormel makes has a 'natural' brand of deli meats that contain no nitrites (listed), although I question just how natural a Hormel product can be.

Oscar Meyer used to make a 'natural' all-beef hot dog that contained no nitrites (listed) and was the best darn hot dog I have ever tasted, but they went off the market and have been replaced with the Angus hot dog. Once again, no nitrites (listed) but does not taste as good (although better than most other dogs).

Oscar Meyer Light Bologna, I believe, is also nitrite-free.

There are probably a few others. One of the local grocery chains around here has a 'natural' store brand that does not list nitrites as an ingredient. You're just going to have to read labels.

I mentioned that there are no nitrites listed. That is because they can be found naturally in some spices and seasonings, so, if they are not added on purpose, they can be left on the ingredient list. 'Smoking' meats, for example, is a good way to add nitrites without 'adding' nitrites.

In case you are unaware, nitrates and nitrites (usually converted from nitrate) are used as preservatives, generally in processed meats. Frozen meats tend to not have this stuff added, since freezing is a form of preservative on its on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink